• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Discussion Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag - Single-Player Adventure Game

I think they will to some extent. In an interview with the people who made the ACII cinematic (Digic Studios) (see: http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showth...gic-Studios-on-the-Assassin-s-Creed-Cinematic) they said:

'Most of the characters were built from scratch. For example, all the cloth on the hero had to be simulated so we could not use the assets from Ubisoft directly. However, we've used them as 3D references and followed them very closely. But in some cases we could also rely on the high-res models themselves, which helped a lot in making the deadlines.'

That said, I'd expect ship models were indeed shared.

Personally, I love extensive realism, I love silly and romanticized, and I even love the in between.
I've played PotC, PotBS, Sid Meier's Pirates(the original and the remake), I don't think i'm going to be too bothered if its not 100% authentic, as long as the mood and feel are nice(Ubisoft promised realistic gritty pirates and not PG friendly disney pirates), and thats good enough for me. :)

I must say that the uniforms, architecture and weapons were quite accurate and the frigates and sloops which lay in the harbors didn't look that wrong. They looked a whole lot better then the ships in AC2. Also the Men of War, the gunboats and the schooners looked quite well. The Aquila was a monsterocity though.

Here is a shematic blueprint of the "Jackdaw", the ship of Edward Kenway. Looks quite realistic to me. But the picture is pretty small. The only unrealistic thing is the maximum number of guns for such a small ship (56 guns).

644662_540957372616367_777872344_n.jpg

That is a brig. The 60m length must include the bowsprit. Let's say that leaves 40m for the hull. Nice round number. Here is a screenie of a real 56 gun ship with approx 40m hull length. The Freidrich Willem Ze Pferde.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gpalg0tpyyfcivy/XVO3HgxQu6/POTC screenies/FWzP after.jpg

Here is the Wydah, a British slave ship. She was captured by Blackbeard, refitted, and renamed the Queen Anne's Revenge.
TheWhy4.jpg

Realistic is a bit relative here.
I mean there are numerous factors why the majority of ships that size were not heavily armed.
Having to do with ballast and weight distribution, gun caliber, cargo capacity and crew living space.

While the majority of pirate ships were not that heavily armed, it was still not unheard of, and pirates usually did not have to concern themselves with storing supplies for long oceanic voyages or for comfortable living.
Carrying lighter guns would also allow more of them to be equipped, though in this regard I don't expect realism, because lets face it, Ship of the Line's are pretty much the boss ships of Pirate games, and when has fighting them ever been realistically portrayed?
If any pirate game were realistic those ships would be pretty much undefeatable by sloops, brigantines and frigates.

Also it does seem to have happened in reality that a 16-gun brigantine was converted to a 50-gun ship.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chilean_brigantine_Águila_(1796)

Here is a shematic blueprint of the "Jackdaw", the ship of Edward Kenway. Looks quite realistic to me. But the picture is pretty small. The only unrealistic thing is the maximum number of guns for such a small ship (56 guns).

644662_540957372616367_777872344_n.jpg

That actually looks a bit laughable. Like something designed by the creators of World of Warcraft.

To be fair, it seems as though the must have looked at some reference images to design that rather bloated brig... but that's about it. I doubt there was much actual research done into the construction and armament of vessels of the time. When did they say the game was set, early 1700s? Are they SURE someone didn't mistake "18th century" for the 1800s when designing this? :modding

For those of you who are aready thinking it: I think it's safe to say at this point that those guys are idiots.

Could someone clue me in on what's so wrong? I'm not exactly an expert on old sailing vessels.
I'd say the hull looks a bit bulky and the bottom of the bow looks unlike anything I ever remember seeing.

The lower forward keel reminds me of an ice-breaker or one of those resurrected ram experiments. There are two decks of rear gallery windows - :shrug on a brig???? Really? Seriously? No really? Let me look again.....there's also a second deck of guns and the whole foc'sle looks like something out of Steampunk.....on a brig???? REALLLY? This is historically accurate? Really? Well I guess I should rip up my MA in History and go back to school. I wonder what school the Assassin's DEVs would recommend?

MK

Could someone clue me in on what's so wrong? I'm not exactly an expert on old sailing vessels.
I'd say the hull looks a bit bulky and the bottom of the bow looks unlike anything I ever remember seeing.
I think that main thing that sticks out is that the rigging is clearly that of a brig - think of HMS Interceptor, for example - but for a brig, the hull has one deck too many, including a second row of stern galleries.
So, essentially, it looks to me like an early 19th century ship of the line has been shrunk in the wash, lost a mast and a few guns, and her bow was hideously deformed in the process.

Hey! I think I found one of Ubisoft's reference images! :rofl
megabloksstormstalker1.jpg
The bow in particular looks nearly identical, minus the shark and pikes.

Pieter: The closest real ship to this in size that I have found so far is Armada's Rossiya, but this is wider and maybe a touch longer. The biggest problem is the rigging. It only has 2 masts and a hull that size should have 3. Then there is that spanker. The story is set in 1715, and as far as I know the spanker had not been invented yet. Most ships at that time and size looked like the Postillionen. Hmm. Had the ships wheel been invented yet? I suspect that came later also. Overall it looks more like an 1815 ship than a 1715 ship.

Armada: That image does not show for me.

ha it looks like a miniature 19th century east Indiaman mixed with an ice-breaker mixed with the midship section of a frigate mixed with the top down view shape of a modern sailboat mixed with the rig of a 19th century brig sloop. I never understood the point of being so unrealistic, the real ships looked so much better and you don't have to invent their plans.

Pieter: The closest real ship to this in size that I have found so far is Armada's Rossiya, but this is wider and maybe a touch longer. The biggest problem is the rigging. It only has 2 masts and a hull that size should have 3. Then there is that spanker. The story is set in 1715, and as far as I know the spanker had not been invented yet. Most ships at that time and size looked like the Postillionen. Hmm. Had the ships wheel been invented yet? I suspect that came later also. Overall it looks more like an 1815 ship than a 1715 ship.

Armada: That image does not show for me.
There were spankers by then, but they were on brigantines and the like, not two masted ships of the line like this. (Note: There are no such thing as two masted ships of the line) There is disagreement on invention of the wheel. I've seen some sources that say that it was invented in 1704, but most sources agree that it didn't come about until 1714. At any rate it took some years before it came into wide use. The whipstaff and tiller would have still been the dominant steering apparatus used throughout the 1720s.

I agree on the assessment of it looking like a ships from 1815 - I would go even further and say it looks like a Steampunk ship of about 1850.

I would classify it as a Steampunk Two Masted Ship of the Line Ram Brig. LOL :monkeydanceMK

EDIT: I wonder if it can fly also?

Look at the plans- Apparently diving bells on waist cranes were standard equipment.

Back