• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Sword Fights Broken?

Styphelus

Landlubber
Whenever I'm in a sword fight, I never know who has the advantage. The middle bar never seems o move either way. it's always dead on centre.

Also, I'm fihting and just like that the fight stops and I win. I never get to see the other guy surender or anything. I attack for a bit, the fight stops abruttly, and I'm declared the winner.

I find this very anoying. Is this the same for everybody or is it a problem with my game? Seems like it was rushed out the door and never completly finished.

Overall a really cool game. It's basically Pirates Gold! with new graphics but the fighting in the old game was a lot better.

No, I see the full fight, the red bar may go back and forth during the fight, and the character and opponent may go foward or backward until one of them falls off the ship. You may want to turn down the details on the game and see if that helps, I've heard some people say it's like a slideshow for them until they turn down the details.

Yeah, I see the enemy captain get smacked down, or just fall into the fire and then jump overboard. I guess you can call that a smackdown.

I will say that I liked how the morale meter worked during sword fights in the original. You could almost manipulate it to wear down an enemy crew to next to nothing. But here I feel like I have to get the enemy while I can, rather than toying with him. But, I may not be as good with this one as I was with the original... yet.

Yeah, even with a 1.8 Gig CPU and 768 Megs Ram, the swordfights are still choppy with the object detail turned up. If I know I'm going into an important fight, I'll pause and turn down the detail so I can perform better. I also remapped the keys to make it easier to respond quickly.

<!--`QuoteBegin-Cap`'n Toast+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cap'n Toast)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Yeah, I see the enemy captain get smacked down, or just fall into the fire and then jump overboard.  I guess you can call that a smackdown.

I will say that I liked how the morale meter worked during sword fights in the original.  You could almost manipulate it to wear down an enemy crew to next to nothing.  But here I feel like I have to get the enemy while I can, rather than toying with him.  But, I may not be as good with this one as I was with the original... yet.[/quote]

I dont know about the original since I never played it, but I too feel like I have to get the enemy while I can, the opponent attacks me constantly so I really dont see the point in the taunt since it takes away from an attack move that I could make. If the opponent would slow down a bit then i could see using the taunt, but as it is now, it's just attack as quickly as I can. Because if Im not attacking, or defending Im getting hit by my opponent.

One of the things I miss in the sword fighting is the ability to move back and forth of your own free will, just like the original. I enjoyed the swordfighting in the original, but the blocking was harder in that one. The swordfighting can be pretty hectic, and you'll never have time to relax. Unless you're playing on a really simple level.

Ok, I found out that my problem was the difficulty level. I was on the easieast possible and for some reason after a few swings of the sword the fight would end.

Changed the difficulty and the advantage bar now works and I can see the guy surrending. Much better now.

<!--`QuoteBegin-Kuplo`+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kuplo)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I dont know about the original since I never played it, but I too feel like I have to get the enemy while I can, the opponent attacks me constantly so I really dont see the point in the taunt since it takes away from an attack move that I could make.  If the opponent would slow down a bit then i could see using the taunt, but as it is now, it's just attack as quickly as I can.  Because if Im not attacking, or defending Im getting hit by my opponent.[/quote]

The way I use taunt, is that it's been more advantageous to counterattack then attack first. If the guy pauses for a second, waiting on you, taunt him to attack again so you can counter.

Back