• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Build 14 Gamma Version [Last update: 7th June 2024]

@Grey Roger, here are some minor fixes:

WoodesRogers model better animation + height
swedish grenadier model was a little transparent
no rain in treasure cave
label Maltains
and some clean up in the GoldBug

Attachments

• JRH files 24_05-04.7z
    264.4 KB · Views: 34
Thanks, @Jack Rackham! :cheers

You seem to have an older version of "initModels.c". The January update changed all multi-word "model.name" and "model.lastname" entries such as "James T." or "de la Vega" into single words with underscores - "James_T." or "de_la_Vega". Multi-word names are split up when they're assigned to characters and don't always translate properly. The names are corrected in "RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\ENGLISH\Storyline\storyline_strings.txt" so that they appear as separate words without underscores. (And also in the versions for other languages.)

Should there be a new texture for the new model "Grenadier_swe_18.gm"?

Oh oh. I meant only to add the changes under WoodesRogers.
It was worthwhile uploading your "initModels.c" anyway because your "Woodes_Rogers" model uses the "33_Ronald" animation, both according to your "initModels.c" and the new "TempQuest.c". Does that mean you have a new model "Woodes_Rogers"?

At last, a new update!
https://piratesahoy.bowengames.com/potc/Grey Roger/post_1Jan_updates_070624.zip

Some bug fixes, some more translating - including a Portuguese translation in progress thanks to @Peter Norton.

Thanks to our Russian friends, there's a whole new quest in "Tales of a Sea Hawk". When you return from failing to find Raoul Rheims, someone meets you in Port Royale with an offer from Desmond Ray Beltrop, leader of the smugglers on La Grenade. This quest was originally in a different, Russian mod and is now adapted to work in "New Horizons". The new quest is "Night Craft". One result of adding this quest is the addition of a new ship:
salamander.jpg

Meanwhile, @Bartolomeu o Portugues has something in the works for a character from "Assassins Creed" named Aveline de Grandpré:
aveline_cartagena.jpg

She's available as a FreePlay agent, and two additional characters for the story are also available for FreePlay:
resc0.jpg gerald_blanc.jpg

There's to be a short story about her. No quests have been written yet but if you want to see how it's going to start, go to folder "PROGRAM\Storyline" and rename "Aveline_off.c" to "Aveline.c". The story "Hatching a Plot" should then show up in the storyline selection screens.

One side effect of the new storyline is the addition of a new location model for a different pyramid:
pyramid.jpg
This is now the temple on Hispaniola, replacing the duplicate of the stock game temple which used to be there.

@Grey Roger, which is the correct version of ATIShaders.sha now?
And why?
The correct version is the one in the update, dated 23rd January 2024.

The reason is that @tuan16 edited it to improve the sea's reflectivity:
Mod Release - Build 14 Gamma Version [Last update: 7th June 2024]
Mod Release - Build 14 Gamma Version [Last update: 7th June 2024]

(The two links show the same title but link to different posts in this thread.)
Although the file's name is "ATIShaders.sha", it works with NVidia graphics cards as well, which means I get to see the improved sea. :sail

@Grey Roger: So I bloody FINALLY got round to setting my tab-size to 8 spaces (instead of 4) and re-merged all your updates once again.
Took the liberty of cleaning up the formatting of InternalSettings.h while I was at it.

Please find attached for your perusal.

Chances are I'll be off to the open blue again very shortly, so I wanted to at least give you what I could before I leave.
Hopefully by the time I'll return, I'll have my new laptop operational; and I might actually do a thing or two again...

BTW: Who else has been having DREADFUL slowness of our dear website here??

Attachments

• PB_Update_2024-06-16.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 12
@Grey Roger: So I bloody FINALLY got round to setting my tab-size to 8 spaces (instead of 4) and re-merged all your updates once again.
Took the liberty of cleaning up the formatting of InternalSettings.h while I was at it.

Please find attached for your perusal.
Are there any files in that collection which have changes other than formatting? "PROGRAM\BATTLE_INTERFACE\fast_reload_table.c" certainly has - you used an outdated version so your version has a spurious ")" at the end of:
Code:
curTable.l6.note = FRN_PRISON);
... in the section for "Greenford_Prison", and it's missing the section for "Havana_prison" entirely. And "PROGRAM\Characters\SideQuest.c" is missing all the new characters for "Night Craft".

BTW: Who else has been having DREADFUL slowness of our dear website here??
It's certainly been slow intermittently. DDOS attack, perhaps?

Are there any files in that collection which have changes other than formatting? "PROGRAM\BATTLE_INTERFACE\fast_reload_table.c" certainly has - you used an outdated version so your version has a spurious ")" at the end of:
Code:
curTable.l6.note = FRN_PRISON);
... in the section for "Greenford_Prison", and it's missing the section for "Havana_prison" entirely. And "PROGRAM\Characters\SideQuest.c" is missing all the new characters for "Night Craft".

It's certainly been slow intermittently. DDOS attack, perhaps?
If I saw correctly, you did manage to include most of my changes from last time after all, which was the main thing I wanted to double-check before adding all the new stuff.
I didn't make much new changes, though I thought I caught an error with CharacterName in a dialog file; and in the Tortuga citizen dialog I added a proposed (admittedly untested) change to use the general period "relation_to_pirates" attribute rather than hard coding Tortuga in there.
If that indeed works, you might consider extending it to the other citizen dialog files.

Strange that apparently I'm missing newer code?
I thought I had downloaded the latest of your archives right before merging.

Oh well, I don't have time for playing anyway.
I'll probably be all at sea for the next 2+ months instead...

If I saw correctly, you did manage to include most of my changes from last time after all, which was the main thing I wanted to double-check before adding all the new stuff.
I didn't make much new changes, though I thought I caught an error with CharacterName in a dialog file; and in the Tortuga citizen dialog I added a proposed (admittedly untested) change to use the general period "relation_to_pirates" attribute rather than hard coding Tortuga in there.
If that indeed works, you might consider extending it to the other citizen dialog files.
There is no "Tortuga citizen_dialog.c" in your zip file. Besides, if there's one file in which "Tortuga" should be hard-coded, it's a dialog file specific to citizens of Tortuga! So then I wondered if perhaps the file in question is a more generic dialog file. And that led me to "Enc_Walker.c", which does indeed have the change from checking Tortuga to checking "relation_to_pirates". Testing is very easy. Change 'switch(chance)' to 'switch(1)', which will force any random walker to check you for piracy. Start a FreePlay as a pirate. Before sailing away, go on deck so you can hoist a false British flag because random ships near Nevis are likely to be British or allied and you don't want to waste time fighting or running from them. Then sail to either Port Royale or Port au Prince - remember to hoist an appropriate false flag! Talk to any civilian carrying a weapon. If it's "Spanish Main" period, both towns are friendly to pirates and you should get the "Greetings, wayfarer. Where are you going?" dialog. In any other period, both towns are hostile to pirates and you'll be denounced. Except that you'll find the dialog crashes out with a blank box because you used 'CheckAttribute(rPeriod, "Towns." + GetCurrentTownID() + ".relation_to_pirates")' and you didn't define "rPeriod". I replace "rPeriod" with "Periods[GetCurrentPeriod()]" and then it worked perfectly, both in "Spanish Main" and "Golden Age of Piracy".

Strange that apparently I'm missing newer code?
I thought I had downloaded the latest of your archives right before merging.
Perhaps I still had some of the files from your previous update. So I simply wiped my "Pieter_fix" folder, downloaded the zip again and unzipped it. There are still some obsolete files, though. For one thing, a lot of dialog files still have the wrong boundary between night and day. :p More seriously, there are some questbooks in "RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\SPANISH\Storyline\Ardent" which I don't have. That's because they're supposed to be in the "QUESTBOOK" subfolder, which is where I do have them. Also, you have "RESOURCE\MODELS\Locations\Inside\Dungeon1\d01_l_Bathhouse.gm". It should be in "Dungeon_1", not "Dungeon1".

There is no "Tortuga citizen_dialog.c" in your zip file. Besides, if there's one file in which "Tortuga" should be hard-coded, it's a dialog file specific to citizens of Tortuga! So then I wondered if perhaps the file in question is a more generic dialog file. And that led me to "Enc_Walker.c", which does indeed have the change from checking Tortuga to checking "relation_to_pirates". Testing is very easy. Change 'switch(chance)' to 'switch(1)', which will force any random walker to check you for piracy. Start a FreePlay as a pirate. Before sailing away, go on deck so you can hoist a false British flag because random ships near Nevis are likely to be British or allied and you don't want to waste time fighting or running from them. Then sail to either Port Royale or Port au Prince - remember to hoist an appropriate false flag! Talk to any civilian carrying a weapon. If it's "Spanish Main" period, both towns are friendly to pirates and you should get the "Greetings, wayfarer. Where are you going?" dialog. In any other period, both towns are hostile to pirates and you'll be denounced. Except that you'll find the dialog crashes out with a blank box because you used 'CheckAttribute(rPeriod, "Towns." + GetCurrentTownID() + ".relation_to_pirates")' and you didn't define "rPeriod". I replace "rPeriod" with "Periods[GetCurrentPeriod()]" and then it worked perfectly, both in "Spanish Main" and "Golden Age of Piracy".

Perhaps I still had some of the files from your previous update. So I simply wiped my "Pieter_fix" folder, downloaded the zip again and unzipped it. There are still some obsolete files, though. For one thing, a lot of dialog files still have the wrong boundary between night and day. :p More seriously, there are some questbooks in "RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\SPANISH\Storyline\Ardent" which I don't have. That's because they're supposed to be in the "QUESTBOOK" subfolder, which is where I do have them. Also, you have "RESOURCE\MODELS\Locations\Inside\Dungeon1\d01_l_Bathhouse.gm". It should be in "Dungeon_1", not "Dungeon1".
I included some files that seemed to have disappeared from the later ZIP, because I wasn't sure why they were gone.
Sounds to me like they were (re)moved for a reason.
Good!
That's all I wanted to know.

And seems you're perfectly right and I misremembered about the dialog file name.
But you found it anyway, so that's all that matters.

Your day/night boundary, do as you wish.
It's definitely more correct than it used to be.
And the "wrong" part, since they're not proper floats, will effectively translate to an error measured in... perhaps seconds or so?
I estimate the chances of anyone noticing to be basically non-existent.
And the code looks nice and clean like that.
The original full hour error was never noticed by anyone in 20 years either.
So I'm sure it'll be an improvement either way.

Your day/night boundary, do as you wish.
It's definitely more correct than it used to be.
And the "wrong" part, since they're not proper floats, will effectively translate to an error measured in... perhaps seconds or so?
I estimate the chances of anyone noticing to be basically non-existent.
True, which means there's no point in changing it again. ;)

The other reason I don't want to change it, and why I am not interested in mere formatting changes, is that when the files are changed, so are the dates on them. And that's important when I get round to writing the documentation just before releasing an update. I do a WinMerge comparison between what's currently in my update folder and the last released update, with WinMerge set to sort by date so I can see all the files which have changed, and when. Then I can document them in "fixes.txt". Sometimes I want to check back on the forum, for example to find out who to credit. None of that is going to happen if the file has changed again for the sake of changing that day/night boundary again, or if the file with the important change is lost among a mass of files whose only change is the deletion of a couple of unwanted spaces.

But proper fixes such as "Enc_Walker.c" are another matter - those I do want. On that note...
...I thought I caught an error with CharacterName in a dialog file
... can you remember which file that was? And are you sure it was "CharacterName" and not "Character.name", reading the character's name directly from an attribute rather than using a function like 'GetMyName(Character)'?

One side effect of the new storyline is the addition of a new location model for a different pyramid:

This is now the temple on Hispaniola, replacing the duplicate of the stock game temple which used to be there.
Love the new temple in the Ardent storyline (which I'm replaying for the insert high numberth time) and also the new prison camp for the crew at the beginning!

COMPILE ERROR - file: dialogs\Josephine Bonassieu_dialog.c; line: 74
Can't ask for a room at Turck Tavern

Attachments

• error.zip
    198 bytes · Views: 4
  • compile.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 2
Try this version of "PROGRAM\DIALOGS\Josephine Bonassieu_dialog.c".

Attachments

• Josephine Bonassieu_dialog.c
    8.6 KB · Views: 7
Back