• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

www.bluehorizongame.com

ah yes of course!
See my version of a helpful Smithy:

Attachments

• smithy.jpg
    smithy.jpg
    370.1 KB · Views: 206
ahoy
Perhaps its a bit high for atmospheric scattering based on the current weather. Currently, the weather cycles are a bit lacking, and I haven't put much more than alternating skyboxes, with different colour fogs. I keep meaning to find a nice cloud system and put in some rain. Maybe even a bit of lightning! All adds to the shipment date of course..
capt. Phil you have my respect i can't wait to see your work simply i'm amazed by your work wish you all luck with your game arrgggg

Ahoy,
Thanks alot! I'm glad people like my game so far. I am 100% determined to finish it so that people can play something which is unique and is an enjoyable journey of discovery and excitement. I have played a lot of game over the years so I have an idea whats I like to do, and what not to do!
Any questions feel free to ask, and constructive criticism is handy too - Pieter your comments are always handy!

We are using Tenkoku and I highly recommend it. It takes care of the scattering and fog effects for you, and it is also easily networked.

Yes that does look pretty good! Thankfully i wouldn't have to throw much stuff out if I was to use that.

Well.. I made my own one now.. using a combination of the unity procedural skybox, a cloud sphere, a star skydome, blending skybox, lots of blending between all these, for dawn day dusk and night, with sun and moon light sources. Also, iv changed the ocean Again.. (4th time lucky ay!) This time im quite happy with it, I definitely wanted waves, and edge foam, reflection and refraction, underwater fogging, and it to look realistic depending on time of day, position of the sun, and current weather, and not kill the GPU, and scale it all the way up to the openworld size im using. Which is generally about a 4x increase, so 8 units, is about 2meters. This was done mainly because of the scale of land produced by Worldmachine, Big enough so that the player has enough space to walk around on, but not small that theres too much land that need filling with too similar props/trees (trees in real like don't look all the same, but the player wont notice if they forget when they see an identical one) , which feels unrealistic I find. If you have enough assets, then it can be bigger, if you dont then I have used what I have and natural formations in the land to not repeat anything too much.
Next this I really need to look at is the NPC nocturnal transitions, from their day jobs.. to their night time routing.. maybe that means leaving their post/roam area, and sleeping somewhere, or just sitting down perhaps, maybe changing their dialog to "come back tomorrow" ect. Making them disappear in front of the players eyes doesnt look good.. but then again.. that's what the birds do.. soo many decisions to make ay!

Pistols! Enemy Pirates now can have Flintlock Pistols (and Cutlasses of course for close range). I found that the shuriken particle sys collisions work just as well as a spawned object with a collider for the shot (as the cannons use a real object for the balls). Aiming was tricky, I want the Pirates to be moderately accurate, but not be unfair to the player. However, if the player is moving fast enough then they have a chance to not be hit. The player doesn't have access to Pistols yet.. I may put that in as its very Piratey.. but they will need to find or buy musket balls and powder. Also if an enemy is shot by the player.. maybe they will stumble over and stand up, giving the effect more leaning towards a stun (like in Bloodborne) as apposed to just long range fighting like Call of duty.

Thanks alot!
I'm always trying to keep it as Pirate/Caribbean/Treasure Island/Black Sailish as possible..
p.s.
I think it maybe DX11 from now on.. DX9 seems a bit dead to hang on to, and after looking at the Steam Hardware Survey, it seems people (98%+) are using Windows 7+ so i'm sure itl be safe to do that without loosing too many potential players.

Attachments

• ship.png
    ship.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 179
I'm always trying to keep it as Pirate/Caribbean/Treasure Island/Black Sailish as possible..
Good thing too! I don't like it when the Caribbean looks like the North Sea. (PotC films, I'm talking about you!!!)

Back