• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Unconfirmed Bug Wrong locator stormy start and started on cozumel

Levis

Find(Rum) = false;
Staff member
Administrator
Creative Support
Programmer
Storm Modder
I used the stormy start (in black flag) and got on a beach but was loaded at the exit of the beach instead of the land.
The colonies screen says I'm on barbados, if I trace pchar.location I get back "KhaelRoa_port", I also went to the jungle directly next to it and it says "KhaelRoa_Jungle_01"
I though you shouldn't be able to be send to this place in the first place.
Included is the compile log (I tried to walk a bit trough the jungle to see I'm really on cozumel)

Attachments

• compile.log
    17.2 KB · Views: 116
Cozumel, alias Khael Roa, is a valid stormy start location provided you are not playing "Tales of a Sea Hawk". That story starts with Cozumel inaccessible, so it's impossible to sail out of the bay. Other storylines start with the accessible version of the island so you can sail away.

Cozumel, alias Khael Roa, is a valid stormy start location provided you are not playing "Tales of a Sea Hawk". That story starts with Cozumel inaccessible, so it's impossible to sail out of the bay. Other storylines start with the accessible version of the island so you can sail away.
Ah right, then we should check the locator for it, think it's the wrong one

The purpose of stormy start is to separate you from your ship. Anywhere else, your ship is either on another beach (if there is another beach, and you can walk there from the beach where you spawn) or in a nearby port. Cozumel has no other beach and no port. Putting you on the more distant reload locator at least gives you a token separation. :D

Besides, the other reload locator is "reload2", which is right next to the sea and facing inland, as that's where you spawn if you've just gone ashore from your ship.

I'm not too fussy either way and it's an easy enough change. In "PROGRAM\Storyline\FreePlay\quests\both_reaction.c", edit this part:
Code:
               // default:
               loadPort = "KhaelRoa_port";
               loadTown = "KhaelRoa_port";
               rldLocator = "reload1";
Change "reload1" to "reload2". (To test it, edit the line'switch(rand(STORMY_START_CHOICES) )' and change it to 'switch(20)', which will force stormy start to dump you on Cozumel.)

So, do we want a stormy start on Cozumel to spawn next to your ship ready to board at once, or next to the path so that you're looking at your ship and the storm?

In my experience the story start put me on the same beach as my ship, but it puts me in the water. And on cozumel it put me on land. that was the problem I had. Everytime I use story start I can then just walk back into the water and enter my ship instantly.

In my experience the story start put me on the same beach as my ship, but it puts me in the water.
It shouldn't do. If that happens, let me know where it is, because all stormy start locations apart from Cozumel should put you somewhere different from the ship.

The stormy start code for "Tales of a Sea Hawk" used to put you on the same beach as the ship. I changed it to be the same as "FreePlay" some time ago, except that "Tales of a Sea Hawk" can't send you to Cozumel.

I've started a new black flag and chose the last option (to instantly get the cutscene).
I end up on this beach
ship1.png
I walked into the water a bit and have the option to enter the ship even if you don't see it there.
If I look on the map it shows this:
ship2.png
I do believe that I am on a different beach than where my ship is suppost to be but I can enter it anyways.

If I go to the ship and use back i end back up on the beach, but if I go to the ship and then walk to the edge it will put me in the port au prince port.
I've included the compile.log

Attachments

• compile.log
    14.4 KB · Views: 124
The ship is supposed to be in Port au Prince, which is why you go there when you leave the ship. You're supposed to be at Boca de Hubon, from where you can walk to Port au Prince.

I'll have a look at this when I have time. Meanwhile, first attempt at a quick'n'dirty fix: download this and put it in "PROGRAM\Storyline\FreePlay\quests". It adds the line 'PChar.location.from_sea = loadTown;' near the end of case "stormystart3", just before you're sent to the beach. Hopefully that will let the game know where you're supposed to be so that you can't board the ship. Otherwise I'll need to try splitting off part of "stormystart3" to an extra case to set everything up properly before you teleport.

Attachments

• both_reaction.c
    158 KB · Views: 113
OK, I've had a look at this. The "Ship" icon appears whenever you're at a location where you could board the ship, even if it's not there. (You can check this easily enough. Start a FreePlay game, don't pick stormy start, so your ship is in port. Walk to a beach and find the boarding locator. (Editing "InternalSettings.h" and enabling "Visible locators" will help with this.) You'll still see the "Ship" icon but you won't be able to board.

When you boarded the ship, did you do so by pressing "Space", "F3", or "Enter"? If it's "Enter", what you're actually doing is fast-travelling to the ship, which you can do even if you're nowhere near the water. When I tried a stormy start FreePlay, that was the only way I could board the ship immediately - "Space" and "F3" didn't work.

OK, I've had a look at this. The "Ship" icon appears whenever you're at a location where you could board the ship, even if it's not there. (You can check this easily enough. Start a FreePlay game, don't pick stormy start, so your ship is in port. Walk to a beach and find the boarding locator. (Editing "InternalSettings.h" and enabling "Visible locators" will help with this.) You'll still see the "Ship" icon but you won't be able to board.

When you boarded the ship, did you do so by pressing "Space", "F3", or "Enter"? If it's "Enter", what you're actually doing is fast-travelling to the ship, which you can do even if you're nowhere near the water. When I tried a stormy start FreePlay, that was the only way I could board the ship immediately - "Space" and "F3" didn't work.
could have been that I used enter yes .. that would explain it indeed.

True; there IS a toggle for it in PROGRAM\InternalSettings.h, but it doesn't disable Cozumel on default settings:
Code:
// ======================================
// STARTING OPTIONS:
// ======================================

#define STORMY_START_CHOICES   20               // Set to 19 to disable Cozumel stormy start, set to 17 to also disable Barbados stormy start

I do believe that I am on a different beach than where my ship is suppost to be but I can enter it anyways.
From the reload locator itself?
That sounds like a bug!

Though not a biggie, because the [Enter] menu always allows you to jump to your ship's deck anyway...

OK, I've had a look at this. The "Ship" icon appears whenever you're at a location where you could board the ship, even if it's not there.
Was that always the case?
It sounds wrong to me.

True; there IS a toggle for it in PROGRAM\InternalSettings.h, but it doesn't disable Cozumel on default settings:
That doesn't matter because in "PROGRAM\Storyline\standard\quests\both_reaction.c":
Code:
           if(STORMY_START_CHOICES > 19) i = 19;   // GR: don't allow Cozumel because it starts with
           else i = STORMY_START_CHOICES;       //     the inaccessible island model
So you can set "STORMY_START_CHOICES" to whatever you like, you still won't get a stormy start on Cozumel if you're playing Tales of a Sea Hawk.

Was that always the case?
It sounds wrong to me.
It is always the case, it may be a bug, though generally it doesn't matter because what's important is that you can't board your ship using the icon if the ship is not there. (You can board it using the [Enter] menu, otherwise known as Fast Travel, and you can do that from the middle of the jungle as well.)

That doesn't matter because in "PROGRAM\Storyline\standard\quests\both_reaction.c":
Code:
if(STORMY_START_CHOICES > 19) i = 19; // GR: don't allow Cozumel because it starts with
else i = STORMY_START_CHOICES; // the inaccessible island model
So you can set "STORMY_START_CHOICES" to whatever you like, you still won't get a stormy start on Cozumel if you're playing Tales of a Sea Hawk.
Good fix!
Thanks go to whoever this "GR" character is... :rofl

It is always the case, it may be a bug, though generally it doesn't matter because what's important is that you can't board your ship using the icon if the ship is not there. (You can board it using the [Enter] menu, otherwise known as Fast Travel, and you can do that from the middle of the jungle as well.)
True; it's a bit unpolished, but a harmless little bug.

Back