• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Discussion Would there be a way to remove the tutorial at start?

Lord Horatio Nelson

1st Duke of Bronté
Storm Modder
Just wondering if there would be a way to remove the start game tutorial and just spawn at a port with everything there, because now I can't start properly when the guy on the ship is supposed to teleport me to port where every character that is supposed to be there is there, but instead he just ends the chat and I'm stuck on the ship.

You should be able to disable the dialogues at the start of the tutorial (in the same place the character spawns were triggered from, the main quest, "story_line" C file) by just commenting them out (with "//", without quotes), but you will need to do more than that to completely disable the tutorial, as there are programmed events also associated with the progression and completion of the tutorial.

Still, it's not impossible, it just takes a lot of tinkering. Find the main storyline C file, and study the beginning of it. Find the point where the tutorial ends and the main story begins (using the scripted events and dialogue text as reference in the code). Then study all code up to that point, and comment out any line that is dialogue or scripted event related -- except the ones you actually need to keep for the main storyline and game to work properly.

Edit:

Note that in COAS, if you start as a different character, you will be spawned in a different location, and without the tutorial. So you can try playing with that, too, and/or see how it is handled in the code.

You could also try fixing the broken reference to the spawn point in the tutorial -- as I assume that your locator changes broke the existing 'teleport' locator reference in the tutorial's code, and that's why the tutorial is getting stuck, now, at the end of the dialogue. Find that last line of tutorial dialogue text in the code -- start from there.

Last edited:
I have good news, I managed to instantly skip the tutorial without going through everything.

Open, "Program\DIALOGS\russian\Quest\StartGame_dialog.c" and find "if (bBettaTestMode)".

And edit this:
Code:
        case "First time":
            NextDiag.TempNode = "First time";
            EndQuestMovie();
            InterfaceStates.Buttons.Save.enable = false;
            LAi_LockFightMode(Pchar, false);
            LAi_SetActorTypeNoGroup(Pchar);
            LAi_ActorTurnToCharacter(Pchar, NPChar);
            dialog.text = DLG_TEXT_Q[0];
            if (bBettaTestMode)
            {
                link.l0 = DLG_TEXT_Q[1];
                link.l0.go = "Finish_2";
            }
            link.l1 = DLG_TEXT_Q[2];
            link.l1.go = "Node_1";
        break;
To this:
Code:
        case "First time":
            NextDiag.TempNode = "First time";
            EndQuestMovie();
            InterfaceStates.Buttons.Save.enable = false;
            LAi_LockFightMode(Pchar, false);
            LAi_SetActorTypeNoGroup(Pchar);
            LAi_ActorTurnToCharacter(Pchar, NPChar);
            dialog.text = DLG_TEXT_Q[0];
            link.l0 = DLG_TEXT_Q[1];
            link.l0.go = "Finish_2";
            link.l1 = DLG_TEXT_Q[2];
            link.l1.go = "Node_1";
        break;

The game can already can let you skip this dialog in beta test mode.
What I have done is to remove the code that checks if you are in beta test mode; so now you can pick it anyway.

Extra step:
I also edited "Program\Text\Dialogs\Quest\StartGame_dialog.h"

On line #3 you can see this text: "Beta Test: Pass, and begin game.".
I changed it to: "Wonderful. All right, men! I'm going ashore."

Since it is less immersion braking, but you could try something more original if you want. ;)

It working on my game:

I see, but usually the dialog is broken, and WHENEVER it is supposed to tp me to land, it just ends the chat then I'm stuck on the ship. You already know this sir. I still have the game installed, but I am just pasting it back into steam's directory. When it's done, I will make sure steam recognizes it and that I can skip the tutorial, but if it works, than hooray. But if it doesn't, I should hopefully only have to wait till Saturday to play it again. So yeah.

Once you get your game back up and running, do what I did and see if it works for you as well.

If it doesn't, then I will upload the files just to be sure, and if it still doesn't work, then maybe something else could be arranged.

Ok we will see if it works, if not, that is OK. I should hopefully only have to wait till Saturday like I stated. But we shall hope that the game works this time, with the new code. I will tell you the results in a bit. But one thing, at what point can you edit your title like cerez did? Just asking because I thought you might know, cause your a staff member.

and if it still doesn't work, then maybe something else could be arranged
Well, then maybe you could send me a compressed version of your game files, piece by piece. Hehheheheehe, just saying lol. Oh and I do know where the locator r ference is. But I don't think it specifies a exact location, just a random one. Maybe I'll remove that then add it back in lol, maybe that would work.

Ok we will see if it works, if not, that is OK. I should hopefully only have to wait till Saturday like I stated. But we shall hope that the game works this time, with the new code.
Good luck! :cheers

But one thing, at what point can you edit your title like cerez did? Just asking because I thought you might know, cause your a staff member.
I can "Professional Pirate" is a custom title.

Go to where you added your profile image, under that image, there should be a space to write a custom title.

Here's the link if you can't find it: http://www.piratesahoy.net/account/personal-details

Well, then maybe you could send me a compressed version of your game files, piece by piece. Hehheheheehe, just saying lol.
I will upload the files I edited placed in the correct folders tomorrow.
They are not big, but right now I don't have access to my computer.

Now I can't upload the whole game if that's what you meant, aside from other compilations, it's going to take TOO much time.

What I meant is the key files, like engine.ini and options, and where did you download COAS from? Also I can't make a custom title, must be locked. I am missing engine.ini and options and a few files, so yah. Just need some of those. I've only been here with a fully activated account for like two weeks, even tho it says I've been here for almost a year or so lol. @The Nameless Pirate

Last edited:
Hehehe yeah lol. I got COAS from steam. So yah... If I was ever able to make a custom title, it would be: "the honourable Lord"(that would be it for the title, just goes with the name). Isn't Pieter one of the original pirates of the PA!? The famous pirate Pieter Boelen!? I heard he sank 40 royal Navy ships with just a brigantine, and the royal navy navy ships were all frigates!

Last edited:
It's good that these people are nice, because some PeOpLe ArE NoT NiCe At AlL!?!!$(4+#(+4+39#+$;4. Sorry had to do that haven't for a while! Lol yes you all are nice, tho some people aren't. Hee hee.

Last edited:
Hahaha lol. Thx. Nameless, would you please vote for what kind of house you would like for your player, and what nobility title you would like? Please, I never get any votes, and I consider you a friend, and would like your opinion. Btw what do you think of my new profile pic?, That's my doggo Duke. Oh but I'm not a pirate, I am a vice Admiral of the Royal Navy, so you, are to be arrested and hanged at dawn! Men, weapons! Detain him, or kill him if you have to! Oh and I just watched your muppets vid, and what's all that about execution?! Lads, detain him!

Last edited:
Also I can't make a custom title, must be locked.
I'd have to check the Admin Control Panel to know for sure.
Can't do that from my phone though.

It might be unlocked by post count (NOT a good excuse to start posting like mad :razz ) or it could be lined to the Storm Modders group.
It's one of the two.
As I said, it gets unlocked with time, through activity on the board -- in other words post count, yes, or, specifically, trophy point count (user level). Newcomers (Powder Monkeys) are not allowed to edit it, but it gets unlocked at either Sailor Apprentice or Sailor level, if I remember correctly. It should be Sailor Apprentice level (50 posts).

Btw what do you think of my new profile pic?
I like it! Fits well! :dance

Oh and I just watched your muppets vid, and what's all that about execution?! Lads, detain him!
I really need to watch Muppet Treasure Island already. :treasure:

Back