• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Would it be possible to get the player "sucked" into battles on the world map like it happens with storms and some enemy encounters?

Fluen

Freebooter
I came to think of, how the player is able to sail right through a battle on the world map. At the same time the player must avoid storms and often enemy ships to prevent to get entangled with them.

If it's possible, it would increase the sailing realism, if the player had to sail around sea battles or risk getting "sucked" into them with no control of, where in the battle they would wind up.

Ok, that turned into two ideas: one about avoiding battles and one about the player's location in the battle, if they choose to join it. Right now, I can fairly precisely decide where to leave the world map, if I want to join the battle, and in this way place my ships in an advantageous position - behind the enemy ships, so I control the encounter. What if that option was removed, so the player came out into the battle in a random place?

Please note, that I have no knowledge about the programming behind the storm engine, and if this is even possible. I'm grateful, that so many others do and are willing to improve this game even more. :bow

I'm not sure how I'd force an encounter on the worldmap, other than when a hostile ship actively chases you and catches you. That can already force an encounter though you usually have the option to decline, based on your "Sailing" skill. And I've even less idea about how to place the player's ship. It's hard enough even trying to get the player to spawn at a sensible distance, not right next to the enemy ships and not so far away that you can quit straight to worldmap and perhaps not even see them.

There's already a random element, namely the wind. You can take a few days of worldmap time to carefully position yourself behind the enemy side of the battle, only to then find the wind is blowing towards you and they'll be the ones with the advantage when they turn around...

Back