• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Windows 11...

I used Windows 7 until the end of 2017. After the public release of the CPU vulnerabilities "Meltdown" and "Spectre", I made the immediate change to Linux as they provided transparent mitigations for these catastrophic hardware vulnerabilities and I never looked back.

The release of Windows 11 has only two reasons: Planned obsolescence and telemetry.

I understand the effort of an operating system provider to make intelligent support cuts to open possibilites for broad optimizations, but these CPU lists are pure arbitrariness.

The bar for the Intel processors are obviously Core processors of the eighth generation. The eighth generation includes "Whiskey Lake" which is nothing more than a slightly optimized version of "Skylake" which is part of the sixth generation. So from a microarchitectural standpoint, the sixth generation would be a logical cut. Another example for an intelligent support cut would be the question of hardware security. The aforementioned vulnerability "Meltdown" would be such a point as its mitigation costs significant performance. But native protection against "Meltdown" is only available since the ninth generation. So the ninth generation would be a logical cut from the hardware security perspective.

The bar for the AMD processors is even more inconceivable. They should have allowed every Ryzen Processor, or more correctly spoken, every processor based on the Zen microarchitecture, which would be another logical cut, as these processors were designed entirely from scratch and to include only some processors of the first Zen generation is beyond belief.

The telemetry efforts are obviously typical for the development of Microsoft since Windows 10 and they do not need any further explanation.

My recommendation for everyone who is using Windows 10 at this point and reject the changes made in Windows 11 is to learn how to use at least one operating system based on Linux. It is feasible to make the great move to Linux, as there are still four years time until the official support for Windows 10 is ending.

Meh News!
I recently saw that they MIGHT let you update to Windows 11 on unsupported hardware, BUT, your system is still not entitled to receiving updates.
With how Microsoft has been doing stupid things recently, a system not being entitled could mean it won't get any updates at all!
As I said, you might be able. We still do not really know they will actually allow us to update, and older PCs that do not have MBEC, which is used for memory integrity, another security feature that Windows 11 brings, can have an up to 40% performance hit.
And there are still those hard floors that include Secureboot, and TPM 1.2, which I think means that machines with a Legacy bios will not be able to run Windows 11 at all by default.
(From my experience, Windows 10 already has issues with the Legacy bios. If I remember, if you use fastboot, you cannot access the bios, which as you can imagine, can be very bad.)
My recommendation for everyone who is using Windows 10 at this point and reject the changes made in Windows 11 is to learn how to use at least one operating system based on Linux. It is feasible to make the great move to Linux, as there are still four years time until the official support for Windows 10 is ending.
Just as he said, I would also suggest using Linux. At least that won't refuse to give updates to you, or even worse, refuse to install.

So you will be able to install them, but with lower security.
Which personally I am fine with as this leaves the choice on the user.
But they won't have updates, which makes the OS less secure? I thought the whole point of this requirements thing was security.
So it would only make sense that even if you install it on an "incompatible" system, you would get the updates so that it is at least as secure as W10.
Most people already hate Windows Update to begin with, so I don't see this helping in any way.

But they won't have updates, which makes the OS less secure? I thought the whole point of this requirements thing was security.
I think the whole point is that they want it not to be secure for "Unsupported" systems, so people either stop using Windows, or just buy a new PC, which is what I think most people would do, as, unfortunately, not everyone would decide to do something like switching to Linux.
Most people already hate Windows Update to begin with, so I don't see this helping in any way.
While they may hate it, having security updates is just essential these days. The whole Windows 11 thing is just Microsoft being stupid, as they shouldn't be able to think that they can pull things like that, and succeed. I have a feeling that most technologically inclined people will just move to Linux rather than getting a new PC, which means Microsoft will probably lose a part of their market.
I personally would not keep Windows 11 if I bought a new laptop. I would either install Linux, or Windows 10. Doing so would also remove all of the bloatware, which is also a positive to removing Windows 11.

I have done the very thing I didn't want to do. I have upgraded my 10 year old laptop to Windows 11, after using Linux mint for a bit more than a month exclusively on that machine.
Linux has pulled me into it, and I have almost no complaints about it. Only things I have is that the Nvidia drivers for my gt520m are just terrible and that one install of my os somehow quit functioning.
Windows 11 on the other side; well don't use it.... Stupid right click... Hard to change default browser...
And with fastboot, it also stops showing the buttons to enter the bios..
Or if you do use windows 11 just set up a dual boot like me with Linux and only use Windows for games....
I realized I forgot to mention what the reason why I ever even tried windows 11. That laptop I use is very weak, and I have seen people saying it is slightly better than 10. But then I got an SSD that has the space for a dual boot and speed is not such an issue anymore.

If you want to enter BIOS / UEFI with Fast Boot enabled (that exists since Win 8 btw), you can go into System Settings -> Recovery -> Advanced Start. If you restart the PC then, it will automatically go into a recovery mode where it lets you access options like OS repairing, Restoring previous recovery images or entering BIOS / UEFI.

If you want to enter BIOS / UEFI with Fast Boot enabled (that exists since Win 8 btw), you can go into System Settings -> Recovery -> Advanced Start. If you restart the PC then, it will automatically go into a recovery mode where it lets you access options like OS repairing, Restoring previous recovery images or entering BIOS / UEFI.
I know but I like to be able to go to the bios without windows deciding how I do that.
Plus fastboot is just stupid... Decreases boot time by 8 seconds in my situation and also really messes with stability.

I think the laptop @Sand 2 Go refers to doesn't support UEFI, so this won't work there.
The problem with the button prompts not showing up with fast boot is with legacy BIOS.

That said I do wonder if you just pressed the right button if it would let you get in the BIOS.
From what I remember this may be the case.

Plus fastboot is just stupid... Decreases boot time by 8 seconds in my situation and also really messes with stability.
Wouldn't say it's stupid, but I also am not the biggest fun. Doesn't seem necessary to me, especially on an SSD.
But some really do care about boot times, so To Each His Own. ;)

I think the laptop @Sand 2 Go refers to doesn't support UEFI, so this won't work there.
The problem with the button prompts not showing up with fast boot is with legacy BIOS.
It indeed doesn't support UEFI.... Which means windows doesn't really like it.
hat said I do wonder if you just pressed the right button if it would let you get in the BIOS.
From what I remember this may be the case.
I took a while to notice that the button prompts were missing, which shows the fact that I indeed could go to the bios.
Wouldn't say it's stupid, but I also am not the biggest fun. Doesn't seem necessary to me, especially on an SSD.
But some really do care about boot times, so To Each His Own. ;)
On an ssd it makes 8 seconds of difference.
On the same laptop with a 5400rpm hard disk, it does more than a minute until it gets to the desktop, and probably another minute until it is responsive.
I would take the lesser stability and the missing button prompts if I still had a HDD in it, but, I am lucky enough to have a different computer that can take a sata ssd, which justifies getting an ssd for a laptop that is most likely not going to be used in 3-4 years from now, either due to an opportunity for upgrade, or due to it dying.

I totally get where you're coming from! Linux can be a great choice, especially with its transparent mitigations for hardware vulnerabilities. And I agree, the release of Windows 11 does raise questions. BTW, if you ever find yourself needing Windows for specific tasks, you can always look into getting a cheap Windows key. It can be a cost-effective solution.

Last edited:
Rather ironically windows 11 has since become my daily driver, though not without bypassing having to sign into a Microsoft account, removing bing from the start menu and fixing the right click, but I only had to do that because my old laptop had started dying, so I ended up getting a new one, which came with windows 11. If I ever format it, I might try going with Linux now, especially with it supporting Vulkan unlike my old one, which means it would support steam Proton. What originally broke me was that wine compatibility for some of the games I wanted to play was bad, often due to issues that had been fixed before, but due to old drivers remained. (And a mishap with me accidentally installing a game directly onto the games folder, meaning I deleted the entire thing when I uninstalled it, that definitely didn't help the situation.

Back