• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Windows 10: Low Frame Rates Despite (BECAUSE OF!) Good Hardware

Indeed, but you'd think with all that money pouring in, with them having a monopoly on the market and ever expanding, they'd have enough money and resources to keep maintaining it!
Ah, but since they DO have that monopoly, they can easily make the executive decision to NOT keep maintaining.
People will keep giving them their money anyway and they have to spend less; therefore profits go up.
Is it morally the 'right' thing to do? ABSO-BLOODY-LUTELY NOT! But the world runs on that fake morality of money and power.

And why I was trying to (unsuccessfully) persuade people *not* to free-upgrade to Windows 10.
I'm still on Windows 7 and perfectly happy to stick with that pretty much forever.
Therefore I'm NOT AT ALL happy that apparently next year I have to switch over after all.
Like I've got nothing better to do than to get all my buttons moved around and my performance brought down.
All for the 'bonus' of getting all sorts of features I don't remotely care about while having to pay extra for it.
Nope, there's no win in there for me at all. :(

Oh... hey... remember that day we were all being over-the-top POSITIVE in another thread?
Maybe we should try that again instead. :rofl

Oh... hey... remember that day we were all being over-the-top POSITIVE in another thread?

:nerbz You are quite right, and aye, I sincerely apologise. :bow

(The state of our world gets me down sometimes -- more frequently and more intensely in recent years. And with people/companies taking away the things I used to enjoy in life, you can't blame me. But it's important we find ways to keep looking up.)

I'm still on Windows 7 and perfectly happy to stick with that pretty much forever.

Therefore I'm NOT AT ALL happy that apparently next year I have to switch over after all.

Had my new system not require Windows 10 (no drivers for Windows 7), I would have installed Windows 7 since I built it my self, so no pre installed OS but I can't and security updates stop for Windows 7 next year.:(:mad:

OK then...:cheers

Windows 10 is actually quite good, I didn't get much time to get used to it since it's not that different than 7.

Further more, all of the games I have installed work as they did in Windows 7, with the exception of PotC that I have to limit the FPS to 60, which is not a problem because my monitor is a 60Hz one.

Overall, I am satisfied with Windows 10. Someone may find a game they want to play and not run but I haven't:shrug.

Last edited:
:nerbz You are quite right, and aye, I sincerely apologise. :bow
No worries at all.
I was joining in myself as well, after all. :wp

The state of our world gets me down sometimes -- more frequently and more intensely in recent years. And with people/companies taking away the things I used to enjoy in life, you can't blame me. But it's important we find ways to keep looking up.
You and me both.
Definitely no blaming from this side. :cheers

Further more, all of the games I have installed work as they did in Windows 7, with the exception of PotC that I have to limit the FPS to 60, which is not a problem because my monitor is a 60Hz one.
Oh crap, you're right; I may be running headfirst into this famous issue then as well...

Belay that! :bounce I posted the wrong version there. :facepalm This is the version that works and is what I have had installed for many years. Download DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010) from Official Microsoft Download Center
I think your first suggestion was the correct one. DirectX 10 emulates DirectX 9, whereas 9c is the real deal for POTC. You may get a performance boost having the 9c package installed.

(And for 9c it doesn't matter on which version of Windows. Having both the 9c standalone runtime and a newer version of DirectX installed means that applications can choose their preferred API, though the newer version of DirectX may take control/preference over the old one.)

See here: DirectX - Wikipedia

Last edited:
I think your first suggestion was the correct one. DirectX 10 emulates DirectX 9, whereas 9c is the real deal for POTC. You may get a performance boost having the 9c package installed.

(And for 9c it doesn't matter on which version of Windows. Having both the 9c standalone runtime and a newer version of DirectX installed means that applications can choose their preferred API, though the newer version of DirectX may take control/preference over the old one.)

See here: DirectX - Wikipedia
No. The second should be the correct one for people that have win10 because it does matter on which version of windows 9c runs in. Capture.JPG

No. The second should be the correct one for people that have win10 because it does matter on which version of windows 9c runs in. View attachment 35188

o_O That's new. Hmm... I'm pretty certain I've managed to install it on my Windows 8.1 machine. I'll have a look now, and let you know.

Most download sites still say that 9c can be installed on any current Windows system:
Compatibility with this software may vary, but will generally run fine under Microsoft Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 7, Windows Vista and Windows XP on either a 32-bit or 64-bit setup. A separate x64 version may be available from Microsoft.

Edit:
See for detailed instructions here: DirectX 9 and Direct Play on Windows 10

(Direct Play is enabled for me.)

Note that as with most things Microsh*t, there are multiple downloads/packages for DirectX 9c, not at all intuitively organised/labelled/documented, and not all work for your system. So you have to go around guessing which is the right one. But always download from the official Microsoft site directly, otherwise you risk infecting your system. Ah, the joys of working with Windows... :p

Last edited:
...Edit:
See for detailed instructions here: DirectX 9 and Direct Play on Windows 10

(Direct Play is enabled for me.)...
I tried enabling Direct Play and following this instruction but like @The Nameless Pirate even with the DirectX June2010 files installed, the game doesn't run very well on my end too.
My experience is it won't let me load a save game or start a new game. I can navigate through most of what's on the main menu but besides that, I can't really start a game. Not without RivaTuner. :shrug
Ah well, at least we still have RivaTuner. This Windows10 is a bit of a headache with old games. :facepalm

My experience is it won't let me load a save game or start a new game. I can navigate through most of what's on the main menu but besides that, I can't really start a game.
Where is your game installed? Have you installed it directly to the C drive, or is it in "Program Files"? Have you tried running it with administrative permissions? Because if this problem presents only with the save and load options in the menu, it sounds like a file permissions issue to me -- and that would definitely not be surprising with an old game running on a much newer version of Windows, such as 10. RivaTuner may be bypassing these default file permissions and giving the game full administrative access to its files.

This Windows10 is a bit of a headache with old games. :facepalm
A bit? Based on what I've heard others have experienced, you're being way too generous! :p Even Windows 8.1 is a pain in the butt, to be perfectly honest (though not quite as big as 10).

Last edited:
Where is your game installed? Have you installed it directly to the C drive, or is it in "Program Files"? Have you tried running it with administrative permissions? Because if this problem presents only with the save and load options in the menu, it sounds like a file permissions issue to me -- and that would definitely not be surprising with an old game running on a much newer version of Windows, such as 10. RivaTuner may be bypassing these default file permissions and giving the game full administrative access to its files...
Game is installed in my D drive. And yes, it is set to run as administrator WITH compatibility mode under Windows Vista (Service Pack 2). BUT when I disabled the compatibility mode, I am ABLE to play it BUT back with the slow-motion effect and the infamous foggy/bright screen/resolution effect. Then I tried adding dgvoodoo back and it removed the foggy/bright screen effect.

So, in summary, running RivaTuner (setting the max fps to 60), installing the DirectX files and adding dgVoodoo had me able to run the game very well without using compatibility mode. xD That's it. Hahah.
What a very needy game to run properly on my rig and system setup. :rofl

So, in summary, running RivaTuner (setting the max fps to 60), installing the DirectX files and adding dgVoodoo had me able to run the game very well without using compatibility mode. xD That's it. Hahah.
What a very needy game to run properly on my rig and system setup. :rofl

:8q That sounds like a lot of workarounds indeed...

Windows 10 = Why is the rum gone? :rumgone
TuY0DNQ.gif

Back