• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Which mods?

aplak

Landlubber
Hi,

I'm new to this forum, and I have a few questions: Which mod should I consider downloading: 'Gentlemen of Fortune' or 'Combined Mod'? Is there any other mod that I could look into? Is the 'Combined Mod' integrated into 'GOF'? Any help would be appreciated, and thanks for your time.

Hey and welcome.

I'm afraid i don't have experience with any other mod than GOF. But i can say that it is very well done and to the highest of quality. It is probably considered by most to be the "Mother" of Mods for this game. GOF has enhanced this game in almost every conceivable way, and for the most part everything is better as a result. Although there are some components i find to be more of an annoyance than an improvement, though they are negligible. The most noticeable difference is the Graphic quality and the ships look so much better.

Not very helpful i know, but i thought you might find comfort in knowing there is another person out there playing this game, as sometimes it's community can feel like a ghost town. :)

The CM came before GoF! is considered obsolete. GoF! is the current mod being worked on.

Hey, thanks for the replies; really appreciate it. From what I've read I think the right choice would be 'GOF'.

Blow me down!, that's a good choice. :)

GOF has so many additions that sometimes it's hard to tell what changes have been made, and it can be difficult to adjust to them (for me at least) but i am actually having lots of fun, despite my whining.

The GoF mod contains all content from the old Combined Modpack, right?

Hi guys. Brand new to the game and to this board. Played Sea Dogs a few years ago and loved it. Pirates of the Carribean not so much -- hit some major bugs with that game about halfway through and never went back to it...Never played the first Age of Pirates.

Just picked up AOP2 for a good price on ebay. Now looking to install the best mod. No idea how to do it. I thought I installed the 3.2 combined mod but it didn't take (maybe it was because I briefly started the peter blood campaign). I must've done something wrong.

Could really use some assistance. Looks like the GOF mod is the best and the way to go. Can someone please explain to me how to install the mod. Looking for a step by step. I'm by no means a novice in front of the computer -- installed plenty of patches for games before but installing a mod seems more complicated.

Would appreciate a link to the latest GoF mod and instructions on how to install it and make it take effect. Thanks in advance!

GoF is the way to go; it contains all content from the old Combined Modpack.

If you've still got PotC, you might want to give our latest work on Build 14 a go too. See the the links in my signature for more information on what we've done. :doff

Thanks for responding, Pieter. I'll take a look to see if I still have PotC...It might be up in my closet somewhere..LOL.

As for AoP2, can someone direct me to a link that might have step by step directions on how to install the GoF Mod. For some reason, I thought I read somewhere that it was a little complicated to install the mod -- need to manually substitute/swap out certain files, etc.. Is that the case or is it as easy as installing any old game patch? If it's more complicated than that, I could really use some assistance. Thanks guys.

While awaiting a reply, I will uninstall and then reinstall the game this way I have a fresh copy of the game ready to go.

Generally speaking, after you extract the mod, just drag and drop the files into your main folder. One version that was released came with an installer but I'm not sure if the current version has one.

If only GoF had DirectSail built in :modding After playing New Horizons so much I can't get used to world map again. Are there any plans to implement DirectSail?

When I get back home, I can help you making a proper installer for the next GoF release.
It isn't all too difficult. :no

Back