• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Where do i start ?

Rafn

Landlubber
Hello fellow Captains. i recently bought the gog version of SD:CT and COAS and someone told me i should definitely mod it and pointed me here.
i looked through the stuff and i am a bit confused what mod (for what game) i should start with. i am not really interested in a super hardcore realistic version, i quit like the balanced Approach the games had, butt i am open for most thing ^^, 1080p support would be great though and i looking for a sandboxy experience, so story mods are not for me i guess (if there are such things) ^^
CT looked interesting so i think i would start with that game.

i would appreciate any insight ^^

p.s.: i tried this standalone mod some weeks ago but it would crash on hitting the main menu regardless what i did (readme and all), so im am with the original games now. ^^

The standalone mod is my domain. This is not a mod per-say, but a standalone game - building upon the Coas engine that uses the original CT storyline. If you followed the instructions of the readme for configuration (such as compatibility mode), it should work and of course ensure that the pre-requisite libraries and drivers (in the readme) are installed on your system to ensure maximum compliance. If you tried to put it on top of the GOG version of COAS or CT, there are no guarantees about it working. v4.0 on Mod DB is meant for the GOG version. It is unknown if extra work is required to update the GOG version to 5.0, however I do not have the time to put in updating that one. I intended 5.0 to replace the original game disc and the entire GOG version as redundant software. The option to disable the videos might fix your problem as there seems to be an intermittent crash there that the release version should have fixed, but didn't for some people.

The standalone mod is my domain. This is not a mod per-say, but a standalone game - building upon the Coas engine that uses the original CT storyline. If you followed the instructions of the readme for configuration (such as compatibility mode), it should work and of course ensure that the pre-requisite libraries and drivers (in the readme) are installed on your system to ensure maximum compliance. If you tried to put it on top of the GOG version of COAS or CT, there are no guarantees about it working. v4.0 on Mod DB is meant for the GOG version. It is unknown if extra work is required to update the GOG version to 5.0, however I do not have the time to put in updating that one. I intended 5.0 to replace the original game disc and the entire GOG version as redundant software. The option to disable the videos might fix your problem as there seems to be an intermittent crash there that the release version should have fixed, but didn't for some people.

sorry, i hope i did not anger you ^^'
i tried everything and i know it is stand alone, i bought the games after me trying the standalone.
i even tried to start it without doing anything, knowing it would not work just to see if it may crash at another point butt it crashes every time exact when the wheel loading screen ends. i see the menu for a split second and the game ends itself without a message or anything.

<I intended 5.0 to replace the original game disc and the entire GOG version as redundant software.>
i wish you the best in succeeding, the game would deserve it,
sadly we live in a time where big publishers who could make an outstanding Pirat (or any) RPG game are more interested in short term monetisation and the killing of talent.

<The option to disable the videos> i even tried that to no avail.

i tried everything and i know it is stand alone, i bought the games after me trying the standalone.
i even tried to start it without doing anything, knowing it would not work just to see if it may crash at another point butt it crashes every time exact when the wheel loading screen ends. i see the menu for a split second and the game ends itself without a message or anything.

I know why that happens. There are a few things buried in the game that cause that to happen, but the most common one is a missing file in the same directory as START.exe, named, Buccaneer's Reef. If that file is modified, or missing, what you describe is exactly what will happen: the game will exit, with no message.

There are a couple other things that will cause the same behavior; do not change or modify anything that says where the game came from and you will have no trouble.

Hello fellow Captains. i recently bought the gog version of SD:CT and COAS and someone told me i should definitely mod it and pointed me here.
i looked through the stuff and i am a bit confused what mod (for what game) i should start with. i am not really interested in a super hardcore realistic version, i quit like the balanced Approach the games had, butt i am open for most thing ^^, 1080p support would be great though and i looking for a sandboxy experience, so story mods are not for me i guess (if there are such things) ^^
CT looked interesting so i think i would start with that game.

i would appreciate any insight ^^

Hi @Rafn, and welcome to our little but precious community! <3

Worth noting that you don't need to "mod" the game, per se, to get it to work in widescreen. All you need to do is edit the "engine.ini" file in the game's installation directory, which is a simple text file (that you can open in Notepad). Where it says "screen_x" and "screen_y", simply change the 800x600 values to your desired widescreen resolution. Save the changes, and voila!

However, you probably do need a mod to fix the hundreds of bugs that CT ships with, even in the 1.5 GOG version. I am currently working on such a pack of patches (I got the game on GOG recently, as well, and it's my favourite in the series), which I suspect you've already noticed, that you can follow the progress of here: Mod Release - Dialog Camera, Quests Fix, Larger Text, Time Fix, and Other Patches

I'm working hard to release a beta version this weekend. In the meantime, feel free to have a dig (or sail) around the original release, and get acqainted with how the original game looks/works. Just keep in mind that any saves you make will likely not be compatible with (some of) these patches (see dev. notes), so you'll likely have to start the game over when you decide to update.

If you're looking for a more comprehensive overhaul of the game, and something that ties it in with the previous release in the series, Pirates of the Caribbean, then the Historical Immersion Mod is the way to go, which is based on years of work and development. The latest of these developments is @Modder01's v5.0, standalone release (which is an intriguing and ambitious project that I fully support). As well as adding a ton of new content to the game (new ships, new locations, new characters, new quests, etc.), it also aims to port the game to the a newer release of the game's engine, which will be key for the future and longer life expectancy of CT.

Last edited:
something that ties it in with the previous release in the series, Pirates of the Caribbean
I didn't know the HI mod had any tie-ins with the 2003 PotC game
You've got me curious now! :shock

I meant in terms of content (ships, locations, themes, characters). I'm not sure storywise... :unsure

I meant in terms of content (ships, locations, themes, characters). I'm not sure storywise... :unsure
Probably not much storywise.

I don't know what exactly was done with the HI mod, but I'd assume a whole bunch of ships were added.
I doubt (m)any locations or characters were added though.

I don't know what exactly was done with the HI mod, but I'd assume a whole bunch of ships were added.
I doubt (m)any locations or characters were added though.

@Modder01 can shed a better light on this for us, but I had a brief look, and I can say this: POTC-style jungle environments and story mini-quests are back, Blaze's look from POTC is back, brothels are back, many ships have been ported (including the Black Pearl, I think?), entering people's houses is back, and there were some other similarities I've encountered as well.

I know why that happens. There are a few things buried in the game that cause that to happen, but the most common one is a missing file in the same directory as START.exe, named, Buccaneer's Reef. If that file is modified, or missing, what you describe is exactly what will happen: the game will exit, with no message.

There are a couple other things that will cause the same behavior; do not change or modify anything that says where the game came from and you will have no trouble.
I also happen to have the same issue and I have not modified files in any way. I don't know if it's because I use Win10 though. Anyway, that means I may have to stick to the original game now.

Back