• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Poll What Version Are You Playing And Why

Your Favourite Mod For COAS

• Vanilla (no mods)

Votes: 10 10.5%
  • CMV 3.2

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • GOF 1.1

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • GOF 1.2

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • GOF 2.

Votes: 44 46.3%
  • GOF Era Module 2

Votes: 32 33.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke159

Buccaneer
Storm Modder
I feel its time to find out what version of COAS people are playing and why so we know exactly where we stand when it comes to COAS and its many mods. I know I have only listed a few in the poll, this is because they are the more common ones. If the version you play or liked the most isn't listed please state the version and why you liked that version the most. Those who are playing a version listed please also state why you like that version. Please note that this is not a competition to see which is the best mod, this is pure info feedback for us modders so we can see where we stand. The more information given to us about what makes you like the version you voted for the better.

Thank you in advance for reading and posting your comments on the version you have voted for.
Luke

P.S.
To a member of staff, could you please sticky this topic for a little while as to avoid it been lost as I think if seen and comments are posted we will be able to learn a lot from it and maybe understand why COAS as far as modding and interest goes is in effect stuck in a dead end with little to no prospects other than a few dedicated fans of the game.

P.P.S.
I made a mistake with CMV 3.5, not sure why I thought there was a 3.5 version. Its meant to be GOF 1.1 lol as CMV 3.2 was the final version of the mod under the combined mods name.

Last edited:
I am currently playing ERAS as that is the version that is currently being worked on. It also seems to be the mod with the most content. Up to level 25 now.

But I will play whichever version is being worked on. :dance

GOF Eras Mod 2 because it still has potential.
A rewrite of some of the engine features could still be used for future improvements.

Fixed the GOF 1.1 poll entry for you, Luke. Seems to have kept the votes intact, as well. :onya

Fixed the GOF 1.1 poll entry for you, Luke. Seems to have kept the votes intact, as well. :onya

Thanks bud.;)

Those who voted on GOF 2, please state why GOF2 is your favourite. Maybe a ship or character or its the only version you have played, if you don't say we don't know. So please everyone who votes, say your reasons for choosing that version..

Last I had time to play was GoF 2.

I don't have CoAS on the computer I have with me on the East Coast, but at any rate, I haven't been too keen on downloading Eras because as far as I know the vessels in the mod set primarily lateen or loose-footed mizzen sails. Those sails behave in ways that are physically impossible in the game, and believe it or not, that one detail kills it for me. I know it sounds silly, but that's just how it is. :shrug That, and the general lack of sailing and general immersion kind of pushed me away from those games recently. I'm waiting for HoO and Kingdom Come: Deliverance now, but until then... I'm using Silent Hunter 5, sailmaking, and real sailing to keep me occupied.

Ive been a lurker here forever but cant sit quiet with everything going on. I think most people that DL will not vote. Ive had my identity stolen once and so never broadcast my true info. I know many friends that are the same. So I don't think this poll will reveal anything. I just wanted to say that I love Eras and love MKs articles and work. I hope he continues. I dont think he realizes how many people are with him but stay silent.

The Akella games are very good and have so much more potential that is yet untapped. The new characters and items alone make Eras a no-brainer choice and MK's uncountable new ships are total works of art. Not to mention the golden age era is the defining era of piracy adventure and the true swashbuckling age of sail.

No disrespect to MK but I wish he would grow a little thicker skin. These games have always been full of bugs so when people complain about Eras being buggy they are full of hot air. Eras is way better as far as bugs go. With the quest bugs fixed it will be great. I think its just great that MK has surrender working perfectly. I can't remember ships surrendering since the combined mods. Also historically speaking his mod is the most immersive because of the overall experience and encounters. The encounters are simply incredible in Eras with beautiful fleets full of ships that are right for each country in the game. This is a first ever for any Akella mod and that is the main reason I am sold on Eras. I have a cask of rum with MK's name on it if he will deign to drink with me!

Playing Eras , Great ship library and weapon seleccion ( reintalled de AOP 2 days ago after few years and im mad playing jaja , thx to the comunitty)

Actually i love Vanilla this game already perfect for me and it can run smooth in my laptop that i bought 5 years ago. but i like to have more, more character ( although will only play a couple of them only, but it's fun to have a lot of choice), more ship, more weapon, but no more bug. i currently use Gof 1.1.2 i have no plan to try 1.2 because i'm late already so i download 2.0 for now and will give it try.

but i love the interface in Gof that allow me to see only ship cargo or trader item only when i sell some goods to the trader. but too bad i can't sell all my cargo all at once, it would be better to have this feature.

having played potc new horizons and GoF and after a half year break got back into aop2 and am playing the superb eras 2 mod
and love the new content and mod options

Uh? I don't think MK removed the quests. Did he???

All the original game quests are in the mod.
Some quests were not properly fixed because he used the GOF 1.1 baseline code. (Double Barrel Musket, Danielle Sheppard, Blue Bird capture)
Several quests got broken when he updated the models. (Ship of Souls, Search for Sharps Spy)

All quests has been repaired in my installation except the final CoAS Diffindur swim, which I cannot solve.
MK made changes to storm files which broke the ending with the hurricane or it may be my use of Windows 7 Professional and my high end nVidia graphics card.
I used coding bypass to continue play.

Most quests can be fairly easily fixed if you merge code with GOF 2.0 (but not all), you need to know where to look and understanding of the programming.

See my related post regarding questline functionality, if interested.

http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/...de-to-current-quest-line-functionality.21664/

Would it be worthwhile to put the corrected code files together and send them to MK for inclusion in his next update?
Or did you already do that?

Would it be worthwhile to put the corrected code files together and send them to MK for inclusion in his next update?
Or did you already do that?

I offered to assist, but he did not accept regarding corrections.
He preferred to do the work himself for the patch1.
It is his original work, so I honored his request.

I'm surprised that only GOF Era's and GOF 2 have been voted on so far. Good to see MK getting the recognition he deserves.

Maybe he didn't want to much help because he wanted to learn what he could and also wanted to make sure the project remained on a strict course. So having as few people giving help as possible reducing the likelihood that things could get side tracked or because stability had been a major problem for GOF 1.2 for so long and still very much is, maybe MK wanted to make sure that stability was at the front of the list of things to do at all times (I know it was for me and GOF2).

Playing Vanilla, because I don't like those modders textures (no offence, they are great). I prefer the stock game textures cause it looks more smooth for me. But it would be great if someone released a vanilla game bugfix patch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back