• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

What Is This

Luke159

Buccaneer
Storm Modder
I was browsing Youtub for historical events such as Battle at the Nile and the sinking of the Spanish Armada when i came across this video, now i would like to know what this is taken out of since it looks to be a game, perhps a movie clip from a game like Anno series or something i don't know. Does anyone recognise it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3jBvuXG6Gc

Can't embed the clip, strange. Anyway there you go.

well according to the description on the video.it is a demo for a all cg move talking bout
navel powers and how they shaped nations,does look like a boss sauce game though if it
were ever made into one :sail

Very cool! :onya

Here's their actual site. Lot's of clips. Look at this one: http://www.broadsidethefilm.com/ships.php

The film was made for PBS. Checked on ordering from Amazon. Not there, but you can order it from the site

http://www.broadsidethefilm.com/ I ordered it. I also found through a professional source a contact on the development team. I want that source. :mm Good material here. Thanks for the link.

V/R Aaron S.

Looks pretty damn cool, nice find Luke159!

Btw, to embed media files, you use the BBcode :

Code:
[media=youtube]m3jBvuXG6Gc[/media]

yeah and the comments at youtube are always fun lol.few mention how the front of the ship is
too low in the water. :shrug but yeah it's a beautiful looking vid and i'd love to see the full
documentary. :woot

Looks pretty damn cool, nice find Luke159!

Btw, to embed media files, you use the BBcode :

Code:
[media=youtube]m3jBvuXG6Gc[/media]

Ahh thanks, Thagarr.;)

In PHPBB3 you embed just this part of the code.

Code:
m3jBvuXG6Gc

While PHPBB2 uses the embed code given via Youtub, however you need to enable HTML to do that and edit some HTML codes for it to work. But i belive you can do it the same way as you do here. I didn't think to use the whole URL for embeding which explains why i couldn't get it to work, again thanks i now know how to do it here.

I found it interesting but due to a really bad headache i had to leave off the computer and didn't get to read the comments, never the less it offers valable research for people looking to perhaps make the Angalo Dutch Wars a mod for POTC and/or COAS. However it would be nice if they made a game out of it.

I got the package in the mail yesterday. I think it's a great value. For 30 bucks you get the PBS Broadside video: Emerging Empires Collide, Anglo-Dutch Conflicts 1650-1680. This video is outstanding! What a great story. Not only are the computer virtual battle animations very good, but the actors and dialogue is great. DeWitt, DuRuyter, Tromp, Pepys, and Charles II all look like dead ringers from their portraits. Of particular amusement is Tromp's line towards the end after ceding New Amsterdam(New York) for Surinam and Pulo Run. He says they would lose New Netherland anyway from over breeding alone with their "Anglo-turd babies" everywhere. I died laughing, but the protagonist and antagonist passion really comes out in the acting. The only criticism I'd offer is that the Anglo point of view is a little more represented than the Dutch. They also leave out some small but important details like the Dutch blockade of the Thames prior to the Medway raid. I was also annoyed at the attribution of line ahead tactics to the English when the tactic/technique (while not yet formally codified) had been used prior to the Anglo Dutch wars by several nations including Dutch commanders against the Spanish even.

Along with the video you get a two inch thick 404 page book: "The Four Days Battle of 1666; The Greatest Sea Fight of the Age of Sail". Obviously haven't read yet, but looks to be very well researched with good sources cited.

For both items, I think this is a very good value for the money with extremely good content.

I'm still waiting on a reply from the DOCEMA tech folks on what models might be available.

V/R AS

Sounds like some great stuff mate! Thanks for the info modernknight! PBS is usually pretty good about value for the money, in my experiences, there information for the most part is thoroughly researched and well put together. I had never heard of DOCEMA before this, perhaps I had just not been paying attention. By the looks of this film though, a lot of people are going to be hearing about them soon!

I agree. As good as this is (Reminds me of the Cromwell productions famous battle film series from the 80s/90s but with modern virtual capabilities added), DOCEMA is going to get noticed. There are several other historical offerings in the works. BTW I didn't mention that the DVD production is in two parts for a total of about two hours of excellent video. Thought some might think it was a little half hour deal. It really pulls you in. Gonna watch it again tonight. :dance

V/R AS

Back