• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

We are approaching Curacao

L0M3N

Sailor
So I am not getting any of the above messages during
Direct Sail for some reason.
Is there a specific instrument I need to get those messages?

Do you get a message in the upper left corner of the screen saying something about directsail is disabled? If you hit the zero button while in directsail it will disable that message and the auto change to the next island.

Have you ever been in a battle and as soon as the last ship surrenders or is sunk, it suddenly changes to an open sea so you lose all of the loot and/or ships you could have captured?

So I am not getting any of the above messages during
Direct Sail for some reason.
Is there a specific instrument I need to get those messages?

You never get any 'we are approaching xxxxx' messages(just to be clear this isn't just about Curacao)? hmmm are you in 'arcade mode' maybe(not sure why this would effect anything though, just curious)? I get them all, although at night time it is hard to sometimes find(or see) the island mentioned before you approach somewhere else! The Logs on/Logs off key wouldn't effect these messages would they?

I used to get all the messages. And after I posted I got a message for Aruba. But then I went to Curacao and got no message again if i recall correctly. Yes I'm in arcade mode.

hmm see if you get the messages when sailing to other places other than Curacao, it might just be related to that island? It is a little rough in places, just where the transitions lie between the different island zones and sometimes it can behave slightly odd(but i've never not been able to direct sail from x to y), but overall it is an incredible achievement all things considered!!

It is possible to get very close to Curacao without getting the message if you approach it from the East and West. Coming in from the North or South will give you the message much sooner. Because of the prevailing winds I like to swing around and come in from the North anyway. :keith

Thanks Hylie, that makes sense. I've been thinking on occasion that i need to look at the coord details for some of these 'points' in directsail as they sometimes don't always quite behave as expected.

you know, i'd really like to know what those prevailing winds are. i have noticed that the passage from nevis to martinique seems to be quite good on a regular basis, but the rest seems rather unreliable so far.

LOL! Me too! :drunk Generally they are from West to East. Very generally. More often than not the wind is coming from the direction my ship is pointing when the wind shifts on the hour. :d:

At Curacao the winds are almost always coming from the West. That means that if I come from the East end I have to tack far to the North before turning into the harbor. But that means that any enemy in there can get a really good run at me.

Coming in from the West means that if there is an enemy there it is hard to get away. So go North young man! :cheers

i've always approached curacao from the north or south, now that i think of it. maybe once from the west. i keep passing it when sailing the big stretch between jamaica and barbados. curiously enough, the wind seems to be east to west in the southeastern quarter of the ocean.

Also I haven't gotten any directsail events like ship encounters or floating cargo in a long time.
I sailed from Jamaica south to Martinique and got nothing.
Is this just bad luck or is it messed up like i suspect?

Sounds messed up(as in your install sounds messed up) as i get them pretty often when sailing around(Encounters, random cargo floating in the sea, wrecked ships to loot, mines dead ahead etc). Keep in mind these are all 'probable' to have in direct sail(as in every 15-30mins or so game time a probability die is rolled to see if you get something and then what you get), so maybe you just got 'unlucky' on that particular voyage? Keep sailing about and see what happens?

Didn't we remove the messages? Can't remember. The reason for them was so you could change flags in advance, but with Screwface's updated Sea AI code, that is no longer necessary.

Maybe the little text messages, but when L0M3N says he gets 'no events' like encounters etc that sounds more serious to me?!

The 0-key enables/disables the DirectSail mod; maybe he pressed that?
That's the regular key, not the Numpad one.

I knew I was forgetting something. :facepalm

When direct sailing from one island to another first you get a text message saying you are approaching that island. Then you get the full screen "land ho!" message with the sailing ship. At least that is how it worked for me last night sailing from Hispaniola to Jamaica.

does compressing time skip directsail encounters in patch 5?
because I never directsail without compressing to some degree.

also I'm not gaining any sailing xp during 3d sailing mode.
i sailed from barbados to granada
wind changed a lot but I didn't get any xp.

Not that I know of. Sometimes you can sail to your destination without seeing anything, and sometimes you get a call every half hour.

Time compression reduces the XP that you get, and higher rank also reduces the XP that you receive.

Back