• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Virtual Sailor 7 & Vehicle Simulator

Trustworthy

Sailor Apprentice
I've been checking out the Virtual Sailor demo, and was wondering if anyone else around here uses it regularly and is willing to give their impressions.

I learned about this sim quite a long while ago, but never seriously looked into it. Then I saw a VS-related link in some of Pieter's stuff just yesterday, and I figured that it was about time to check it out. I can't imagine that he's the only VS user around these parts.

The graphics look ancient in screenshots, but not too terrible in game. The water effect in particular is nice. And the boats in the demo handle nicely enough, although the demo timer's too short to really take them anywhere.

I'm trying to decide if the program itself is worth the cost. Parts of it seem very well thought out (navigational stuff, wind/waves, etc.). It seems like there's not a whole lot of user-created content out there, though. The list of downloadable ships on their site seems quite small, and the area list (while more impressive than the ship-list) seems like it could stand to be a bit more robust.

While I'll likely spend some time sailing around the Great Lakes, New England, and the Caribbean in a modern sailboat, I'm chiefly interested in historical sailing ships and would like as immersive an experience as possible when doing so. Is VS good for this? I saw a small selection of historical craft, but no specifically historical scenery.

Also, has the community pretty much died off, or are there still active modders/builders out there?

I'm very much an advocate of independent gaming, but $25 is a bit on the high end of what I'm willing to pay for such programs these days. If I take the plunge, will I be a satisfied user a few months down the road?

Thanks for any advice, input, and experiences anyone has to offer.

The VS community is still active as ever. I saw a new boat released just this day. You can find it on the VS Support Forum. Feel free to join in. :cheeky

And the Virtual Sailor 7 beta has been released a few weeks ago. The graphics are awesome and the sea now looks about just as good as in Pirates of the Caribbean. I'll post some screenshots later. :doff

I'm trying to decide if the program itself is worth the cost. Parts of it seem very well thought out (navigational stuff, wind/waves, etc.). It seems like there's not a whole lot of user-created content out there, though. The list of downloadable ships on their site seems quite small, and the area list (while more impressive than the ship-list) seems like it could stand to be a bit more robust.
Are you JOKING? There are literally hundreds of additional downloads.
Be sure to check out Virtual Sailor Net (now dead) and my own (at the time, dying) website, the Virtual Sailor Shipyard.
And it's real easy making/editing them. :yes

I'm very much an advocate of independent gaming, but $25 is a bit on the high end of what I'm willing to pay for such programs these days. If I take the plunge, will I be a satisfied user a few months down the road?
I have never ever heard from an unsatisfied Virtual Sailor buyer.
And I've been in the VS Community for about five or six years.

If you like what you see in the demo, you really should buy the game.
You will receive free updates for about a year or so, so you can upgrade to VS-7 when it's finished.
Or you can go and run the VS-7 beta version.

And if you are having troubles with the game, the person who makes it, Ilan Papini, is always happy to help.
As is the rest of the VS Community (including me :cheeky ).

And I was promising some screenshots, so here goes:

USS Constitution in fair weather

MS Bremen (made by me) sailing in the Caribbean

Smit Rotterdam

A storm

Ever Renown (also made by me)

Titanic sailing by night (with iceberg; of course :razz )

Last edited:
Nice screenshots, and thanks for the info.

Are you JOKING? There are literally hundreds of additional downloads. Be sure to check out Virtual Sailor Net and my own (dying) website, the Virtual Sailor Shipyard. And it's real easy making/editing them. :yes
Ahhh, excellent. I was only looking at the official VS page; the expanded content on your page (and elsewhere, as I follow more links to different places) gives me a better feeling about custom content. I wish there was more 'historical' scenery out there, though.

The new, upcoming VS version sounds cool as well; I'm looking forward to seeing it action.

The limited updates thing sounds a bit odd, though; are you saying that a year or so after purchasing the program I won't be able to download new versions/updates without re-purchasing? Hrmm...

In any case, though, I'll probably be picking VS up and giving it a spin. Thanks for the info.

Update: Bought the full version last night, but haven't had much time to mess around with it yet. It looks solid, though.

It looks like I'll be sticking with the latest 6.x version for now, though. I checked out the 7.0 beta and am having the same problem as a few other people on the official forums: wakes (and skyboxes) not displaying correctly. I have roughly the same ancient video card as they do, so I'll wait until they uncover a solution and then hop on board.

Anyway, I'll be playing around with some ships and scenery tonight.

Congratulations on buying the game! I hope you will find that it's money well-spent. :onya

The limited updates thing sounds a bit odd, though; are you saying that a year or so after purchasing the program I won't be able to download new versions/updates without re-purchasing? Hrmm...
Basically, if a new update is made available within a year, it's a free download. Also: All minor updates are always free. So within a year, Virtual Sailor 7 will be released. Then, all the updates to 7.1, 7.2, etc. will be free. Only if Virtual Sailor 8 is released more than a year later, you might need to buy VS-8 again. Only, you might need to just pay $12,5 to make the upgrade. It's like with Flight Simulator (sort of): You do need to buy the next full version, if you want to be up-to-date.
It's not at all certain if you even have to buy the new versions later. Ilan Papini, the progammer, is quite a charitable chap. If you contribute to the community, all updates are free for sure. And sometimes you don't even have to pay for major updates either. So the re-purchasing isn't something you really need to worry about.

It looks like I'll be sticking with the latest 6.x version for now, though. I checked out the 7.0 beta and am having the same problem as a few other people on the official forums: wakes (and skyboxes) not displaying correctly. I have roughly the same ancient video card as they do, so I'll wait until they uncover a solution and then hop on board.
How did you install the 7.0 beta? Did you go to the software updates page on the main site and request the latest update? That is the way to get the most recent update. If you don't do it that way, you might be missing some required files.

How about we breathe some new life into the community for this game?
There's a lot to enjoy about Virtual Sailor and I believe it deserves to be talked about.

So for starters, I have moved this old thread back to a more visible part of the forum.
I know it's technically not a PIRATE game, but it has plenty of historical ships, so why not? :sail

I also took the liberty to fix the formatting on all the above posts, so this will look as inviting as possible.
Plus, I updated links wherever appropriate and even redid the screenshot section of post #3 above altogether.
The original ones seem to have disappeared to Davy Jones' Locker. :rumgone

I saw there's a BRAND NEW update of Virtual Sailor (v7.5) on the official website!
Visual Sailor Simulator - Marine, Ship and Naval Simulator Game.

So I tried it just now and it looks pretty good.
But also, for some reason the menu doesn't work properly on my computer.
Looks like I'll be sticking to Virtual Sailor 7 for the time being.

For anyone who wants to give that old version a try, you can find it here:
http://piratesahoy.bowengames.com/potc/Pieter Boelen/vsshipyard/downloads/Virtual_Sailor_7.exe

(You MAY notice "some" shameless self-promotion once you give this particular version a try... :wp )

Last edited by a moderator:
SUPER cool comparison made by "Χρήστος Μαριδάκης‎" from the Virtual Sailor & Vehicle simulator group on Facebook:

66428009_2378262839164984_9214039485237428224_o.jpg

Virtual Sailor (now VEHICLE Simulator) has come a long way indeed!
Back in 2005, I was still forced to joke about "FICTIONAL tow cables".
VS-6.8 Celebration Story

Last edited:
True, it doesn't stop you from cooperating with a programmer for the code part of such a mod. ;)
Truth be told, Virtual Sailor is VERY open to adding new content.
That means boats, scenery, textures, animals, instruments, the works.

But the code is not accessible.
It's not freeware, after all.

We are EXCEPTIONALLY lucky with Akella.
Leaving that PROGRAM folder open in their 2003 Pirates of the Caribbean game is NOT a common move for a commercial game release.
Especially not one with a DISNEY license; of all things! :shock

Inspired by Journey of the Titanic, @The Nameless Pirate mentioned "The Flying Titanic" to me in private.
Oh dear Quob, DON'T get me started on "ships flying in Virtual Sailor"!!! :rofl

Virtual Sailor 5 had a BUG where, if you gave a ship FAR TOO BLOODY MUCH power,
you could fiddle around with the "submerge" and "emerge" buttons to make her submerge UP!
But it would still be a ship, so you could crash into land when trying to fly over it.

Still... that did not stop us from:

And then shortly after:

Along comes Virtual Sailor 6 with the BLOODY BUG FIXED.
As you can imagine... community NOT happy.
So to appease us, Ilan released v6.0.3 shortly after with the EPIC "Submarines Can Fly" button in the Options menu.
This effectively allowed the players to switch a BUG on and off!

Then in v6.5 he had added proper flight mechanics, as he had been developing Micro Flight in parallel.
And now he has brought them all together inside ONE single simulator, including SPACE FLIGHT:

Impressive, isn't it? :shock

Virtual Sailor 5 had a BUG where, if you gave a ship FAR TOO BLOODY MUCH power,
you could fiddle around with the "submerge" and "emerge" buttons to make her submerge UP!
But it would still be a ship, so you could crash into land when trying to fly over it.

Still... that did not stop us from:
And then shortly after:
Usually that's the case from what I understand, and I love it! :)

So to appease us, Ilan released v6.0.3 shortly after with the EPIC "Submarines Can Fly" button in the Options menu.
This effectively allowed the players to switch a BUG on and off!
Well at this point it is a feature. ;)

Then in v6.5 he had added proper flight mechanics, as he had been developing Micro Flight in parallel.
And now he has brought them all together inside ONE single simulator, including SPACE FLIGHT:

Impressive, isn't it? :shock
And that's by definition, a bug turned into a fleshed out feature.

Last edited:
But the code is not accessible.
It's not freeware, after all.
I didn't know that, but now I know; so thanks.

We are EXCEPTIONALLY lucky with Akella.
Leaving that PROGRAM folder open in their 2003 Pirates of the Caribbean game is NOT a common move for a commercial game release.
Especially not one with a DISNEY license; of all things! :shock
True, we're very lucky, as stated before with Disney licensing it, it was another factor for not having an open PROGRAM folder, but we have it.

Back