• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Confirmed Bug Unintentional Fights or Lack Thereof (aka. AI Group Relations)

What kind of behaviour would you like to see from the town guards?

• It is fine as-is. They don't bother me and I don't bother them!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Same as above, but I should be able to bribe them so they turn a blind eye

• Other, please specify below

• Total voters
The guards' job is to protect important people, e.g. the governor. They don't care about plebs. That's why they don't intervene when thugs attack you, either - you're not important to them. However, if you attack the guards, that's another matter - you're now attacking a representative of the government, possibly with intent to do something to the people they're guarding, and that's reason to fight you.
It didn't use to be like that and is therefore technically a bug.
It also makes a mod-added feature quite useless and makes the game less challenging.
When the system is actually working properly, we can figure out how to make it better. But as it is, I'm pretty sure this is actually bugged.

I added a poll to the opening post to see how people would like this to work.

Note that we won't do this for Beta 3.4, but I definitely have it on the wish-list for Beta 3.5 to have something done about this!

Will leave it on the wish-list then. For... some... time... in... the.... future....... :wp

One thing I would definitely like to see for a next release is to make hostile towns more dangerous even when you are ashore.
Not entirely sure how we should handle that or where the code for this is. But something should be done.
It must actually MEAN something to be hostile to another nation. And to not just be able to visit all towns in the game.

This is still happening BAD!

When I assault an item trader, the merchant's guild intervenes.
Next thing you know, there is a "free for all" fight with the soldiers, the town folk and the merchant's guild all fighting each other. :rofl

um yeah i had a weird issue were a captain of a captured ship i fired was still "classified" as being a part of the enemy nation. needless to say i was very suprised when i docked and jump ashore just for him to go nuts and start carving up the town guards. went from equivalent rank of admiral to -60 rep with them and everybody died. funniest part was i survived the death scene three times in a row so got into huge fights again soon as i left my hotel room with the off duty guards in the pub :duel:

Wait. You captured his ship, hired him and then later you fired him? Then when you fired him he reverted back to his old nation which was hostile to the nation you were at?

Beware of unforseen consequences.

Then something glitched in your game. I have never seen that except for the occasional quest character going off, like Edgar Attwood.

yeah glitched is all i can put it down too. don't know if it will help or not but i noticed that the guy in question didn't have a portrait image. just the soldier icon image

What is the guy's character model? There are many that have the standard soldier portrait set so that does not need to mean anything.

Indeed that one should have the soldier portrait; no issues there. :no

Quick test with the new muskets.... Guards hacking into me, accidentally hit one of the town folk.
Next thing I know, I hear banging sounds from elsewhere in town, because a amazing brawl has broken out between all the soldiers and citizens of the town.
Still funny, but still not intentional.... :wp

There is this "Ambush" thing that starts if you attack any guards. I turn it off in CCCfunctions.c when testing
fights with soldiers. Otherwise they never sheath their blades even if I have sideslided off pist.

There is this "Ambush" thing that starts if you attack any guards. I turn it off in CCCfunctions.c when testing
fights with soldiers. Otherwise they never sheath their blades even if I have sideslided off pist.
Yep, I know about that one. I am very much responsible for that feature..... :rolleyes:

I don't mind the feature itself. It's just that I have to see if the guards reset their muskets
to shoulder mode ok.

Back