• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed unarmed town guards

Hylie Pistof

Curmudgeon
QA Tester
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
Some time back I knocked out and robbed some town guards. :dance When they recovered they walked around unarmed. Well 9 years later they are still wandering around unarmed so I decided to kill them so that armed guards could replace them. It didn't work. The next day they are still wandering around unarmed! :facepalm
Is there a way to re-arm the town guards?

If that counts as a bug then I can confirm that it's real. I relieved all St. Pierre's guards of their weapons during my previous play through "Tales of a Sea Hawk", and most of them again during the current play through.

It might be nice to re-arm them so I can mug them again, but not as funny as watching them all wander around aimlessly because they don't have anything to aim. :wp

I thought I was being nice to them by only robbing them because when I kill them and rob them they respawn fully armed again. I have all the swords I need from them now so only want them to be able to defend themselves. Now they run up to the fight and just stand there.

They don't have particularly good swords. The main reason I rob the guards is to laugh at them afterwards. Beyond that, I get a bit of money by selling the weapons.

Incidentally, you can re-arm the guards. When you knock them out or poke them with a thief's knife, you don't have to take things out of their pockets - you can put things into their pockets too. As an experiment I did that once to a woman in Bridgetown, one of the permanent residents who never have weapons of their own. Next time I went to Bridgetown, she was still carrying the sword I'd given her. If you really feel like being nice, you can give the guards better swords than they had before. And then, if one of them catches you giving a sword to his mate, he'll thank you by hitting you with the sword you gave him. Some people have no sense of gratitude. :D

I might try that sometime as I have more swords now than I know what to do with.

Actually the Dutch and Portagee swords are pretty good. My officers prefer the Dutch sword and my boarding parties prefer the Portagee sword.

As I said elsewhere, this issue must be due to the "resurrection of previously killed soldiers".
The new soldiers aren't actually new ones; just the old one with a new name....

Oh wait... So if you take their weapons, they stay gone. But if you KILL them, then they DO get new weapons?
Is that right? If so, I misunderstood the problem originally.

Might be solved by an auto-equip of all soldiers upon each location reload.

Extract attached to PROGRAM\Characters . That should re-equip each soldier on each location reload and get round this problem you found. :doff

Attachments

• characters_login.zip
    3 KB · Views: 97
I'm not sure what caused this or if this is the correct thread for this, but it seems the town soldiers all are using the hunting knife now. I have only checked the Dutch, Portagee, and English so far.

Must be related. That is the "default sword" for when this code is called with an unexisting nation.
Try attached instead and see if that makes a difference. If not, I'll have to look into it a bit more to see what is going on.

Attachments

• characters_login.zip
    3 KB · Views: 100
Back