• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Two Unrelated Questions

Peter Blood

Privateer
I just have two questions regarding the future and/or present state of the build mod. So, first of all, what exactly is the purpose of the brothel. From what I remember, in Age of Pirates: City of Abandoned Ships it was used as a method to pay for a raise in crew morale, and then using it for yourself led to building trust with the prostitutes so that they could give you information on buried treasure and such. In the mod for it, Gentleman of Fortune I believe, brief PG-13 sex scenes were added. Is there a plan to make the brothels useful in the game?

Secondly, is there a plan, or has it at least been discussed, to add Nassau into the game? It is, after all, one of the most important pirate havens in history and it would add a lot to the game if it existed. I was just wondering if this has at least been a discussion brought up in the past.

Blood

Brothels provide another place to spend a night. There's nothing graphic, you'll have to use your imagination. ;) A couple of storylines make use of them for quest purposes.

Adding locations, especially an entire island, is a major task. That's why several more islands in the chain on the east side of the map are also missing, and are unlikely to be added. Pirates looking for somewhere in the far north of the map to hide out can go to Turks Island.

The brothels serve basically no gameplay purpose and for myself I don't care about expanding on that either.

Indeed more Islands are unlikely to be added.
Nassau doesn't fit on the worldmap either.

Ah. Yeah. I was just curious though, seeing as Nassau is just about the most important of pirate havens of the 18th-century :p

Wasn't it proposed years ago that Turks would be renamed Nassau? After all, Eleuthera doesn't technically fit on the world map either.

True. But out of curiosity, how are islands coded in general? I heard it is a grueling process, but it's just something that sounds interesting. I was originally planning on using St. Eustatius as a location in the storyline I'm planning ("Before the Mast"), but if it is that hard to code an island, I'd either make it a temporary location or use St. Martin, since it too was a historically Dutch island.

The coding isn't the problem. The modelling is.
The entire worldmap is a single model file. Adding new Islands requires updating that file. With Maya.

@Armada made the current one we've got. It cannot really made bigger so extra real Islands do not really fit.

If truly necessary, it is possible to fake extra locations and even Islands for quest use.
Isla de Muerta is the main example.
But that is an extra layer of complexity and since you're just starting out,
the single most important piece of advice I can give you is: Keep it simple!

Alright. Will do. That being the case, for my story I will either use St. Martin instead of St. Eustatius or do a Charleston/Vera Cruz type thing. Same goes for Nassau. I could either fake it or use Turks...although that'd make things historically inaccurate seeing as, in the story, Blackbeard, Vane, Rackham, Hornigold, and Jennings operated out of Nassau. Still though, I agree with keeping it simple.

Use Tortuga. That should be even more famous for its piratey business.

@Jack Rackham's Woodes Rogers storyline already makes use of all those characters.
If you're being inspired by Black Sails, you may want to check it out.
Though of course they are two different things based on (VERY creative use of) the same historical characters.

This storyline was actually going to be based on a book I am writing, and it takes place before Woodes Rogers. This one is during the Queen Anne's War and its aftermath. And yeah. Black Sails is a good show. I was even thinking of giving Flint a cameo in my story.

Back