• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Treasure Island (R.L. Stevenson)

Very nice video. I also keep coming back to that first pirate novel I ever read.

In WoodesRogers I have this "Stephenson's chest" conating exactly what was in Billy Bones Seachest.
locations[FindLocation(Pchar.location)].box1.items.red_uniform = 1; //mycket snygg kostym, ihoplagd, aldrig använd
locations[FindLocation(Pchar.location)].box1.items.sextant = 1; //kvadrant
locations[FindLocation(Pchar.location)].box1.items.tin_jug = 1; //liten tennkanna
locations[FindLocation(Pchar.location)].box1.items.tobacco = 3; //flera tobaksflätor
locations[FindLocation(Pchar.location)].box1.items."pistol9+2" = 2; //2 par mycket vackra pistoler
locations[FindLocation(Pchar.location)].box1.items.silver_bar = 1; //silvertacka
locations[FindLocation(Pchar.location)].box1.items.clock1 = 1; //gammal spansk klocka och (1 el 2 itms)
locations[FindLocation(Pchar.location)].box1.items.foreign_items = 1; //några andra småsaker av ringa värde
locations[FindLocation(Pchar.location)].box1.items.drawing_kit = 1; //cirkelbestick av mässing
locations[FindLocation(Pchar.location)].box1.items.strange_shells = 1; //5 el 6 underliga snäckor
locations[FindLocation(Pchar.location)].box1.items.package = 1; //gammal sjömanskappa, med oljedukspaket (karta + anteckningsbok)
locations[FindLocation(Pchar.location)].box1.items.temp_purse = 2660; //påse med pengar
Just for fun.

In WoodesRogers I have this "Stephenson's chest" conating exactly what was in Billy Bones Seachest.
Is that what it says in the novel?

I haven't read it in forever.
In fact, I don't think I ever finished.
For some reason it didn't quite draw me in.
Maybe because it was too familiar from the movies I'd already seen?
Or because I'm just a terrible pirate?

I originally got started on "De Scheepsjongens van Bontekoe".
And later Hornblower sure jumped RIIIGHT to the top of my enthusiasm list.

So glad to have inspired a Treasure Island thread in here! :pflag
Thanks again @Pieter Boelen for sharing my humble video!

Since I already shared my personal story with this novel in the video above, I would simply add a couple of side notes and facts to the story, for the sake of making this thread more interesting ;)

. I didn't get instantly hooked on the book. I believe I was too young and wasn't even into pirate stories yet, but I give it another try one or two years later and ended up loving it forever!

I haven't read it in forever.
In fact, I don't think I ever finished.
For some reason it didn't quite draw me in.
You should give it another try with a fresh perspective. Maybe you were just not in the mood. Next time crank up some Chieftains in the background for total immersion:napoleon

. Coincidentally I also have a deep affection for "Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hide" by the same author.
. At least once a year I watch the 1990s film adaptation.
. I've never watched Muppets Treasure Island but I'm saving it for enjoying it with my kids when they grow up :D
. Stevenson took inspiration from Poe's "The Gold-Bug" novel, whose story also revolves around a pirate treasure (that's another good read and a much shorter one)

I got one more video in progress regarding Treasure Island and it's about something really "obscure" that I found a while ago. Will share here if everything goes as expected, YOU MAY LAY TO THAT! :g2

Last christmas I gave Treasure Island to my young friend (10 then) in my signature picture. Ok it was too early.

Coincidentally I also have a deep affection for "Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hide" by the same author.
Same here. For many years in my youth I thought of it as the best novel ever.

Goldbug. When I was fourteen (1968) my parents bought a new summer house. In the attic I found a very badly used copy of Poe's short stories.
Since then I read the Goldbug again now and then.

the 1990s film adaptation
Yes yes yes. Black Dog, BlindPew indeed very good stuff.

Goldbug. When I was fourteen (1968) my parents bought a new summer house. In the attic I found a very badly used copy of Poe's short stories.
Since then I read the Goldbug again now and then.
That's the kind of memory I love:)

I have a similar one with an old volume of Poe's "The Masque of the Red Death" that I found in my grandma's living room. It happened on a cold and cloudy day, so the ambient was very fitting for a horror story. I got chills as soon as I finished reading that bloody ending.

There is also "The Adventures of Ben Gunn" by R.F. Delderfield. A prequel to Treasure Island which I think is
a very good reading too.

...and Long John Silver by the swedish author Björn Larsson. Not sure which languages it's translated to.

Treasure Island remains a favorite of mine. I pick the novel up occasionally to admire the writing of a carefully woven story. A Pirate story with characters done right! These characters are true Icons, that inspired many others. Romanticized Pirate lore owes much to this story. The Ben Gunn character Is genius , me thinks inspiration for “Gollum” character of Lord of the Rings? —My precious!.

Nicely done Tempesta. Thanks for making me aware of this silent film version. I enjoyed your comparison of the film’s stills with the novel.

Back