• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

To many weapons!

xseanx69

Landlubber
Storm Modder
Mates, there are wayy to many weapons out there! I can board a ship with 900 crew members and I can get 50 weapons from their dead bodies, most of the weapons are different and I can get 50 more weapons from their weapon's locker! :modding
If I go to a store I need to scroll for ages until I get to the "buy" part :facepalm
Can you even imagine how many bruises I have from carriying all those weapons? I look like a bloody pin couchin! :ixi
Also, when I go through my daily routine ( rum, brothel, robbing some houses, "borrowing" money from the loanshark dude ) I fine only weapons in all of the chests! Diamons and such thing are practicly gone from the game! I remember when I used to fine a chest loaded with diamonds and neckleses, then getting caught by my mom and such! good times.. :cheers

Serious part haha:
Is there any way for me to mod an option for the weapons to go straight to my weapon's locker? or maybe making a limit to the inventory?
The variety of weapons is cool but it's getting really frustrating scrolling so much, and i'm sure you feel the same way.

Sell them or put them in your ships weapons locker for your crew to use. :shrug I sometimes start a collection of interesting swords in the ships locker.

Of course I should sell them or put them in my ship but it's taking alot of time. Ok, how about this :
Can a ships crew have the same weapons? especially is its an army ship?

i'm not too bothered by it to be honest. there certainly shouldn't be any more, but it's not too many.

If you don't put any weapons in the weapons locker then I think during boardings your crew will use a default weapon ( can't remember which one it is ) - this should give you a standard weapon. :ixi

When the Period Weapons mod is finished - see this thread --> http://forum.piratesahoy.net/index.php/topic/12575-period-weapons/page__view__findpost__p__395014

Then the number of weapons in any time period should be reduced. :yes

I didn't mean my crew, I meant an AI crew. So there will be similiar weapons among the enemy crew. If it a 7 grade ship the cutlasses, if 6 grade rapiers and so on.( Just Examples )

I guess thats a possibility but it isnt in the Build, you could have a look yourself to see if you can work it out ;)

I would, but i'm not a very experienced modder. I only started learning in 2010 summer from SJG but then stopped for a year because of school reasons. So, I only know basic things :wp

i dunno. it would seem to me that if the navy issued a standard sword with it's soldiers, they would all have the same weapon with a different weapon for each nation, not each ship. then there would be the officers, which would have slightly better gear, possibly armor. the effect of this on gameplay would be that the player is potentially way overpowered compared to the enemy, since the enemy's equipment no longer scales up with the player, but enemy officers could get seriously badass.

i dunno. it would seem to me that if the navy issued a standard sword with it's soldiers, they would all have the same weapon with a different weapon for each nation, not each ship. then there would be the officers, which would have slightly better gear, possibly armor. the effect of this on gameplay would be that the player is potentially way overpowered compared to the enemy, since the enemy's equipment no longer scales up with the player, but enemy officers could get seriously badass

Sure but that's actually very realistic! Plus, you can get good weapons from a boarding not just a gazilion weirdo swords that have no use. In army naval ships crewmembers didn't carry their weapons with them on board just like that. At the sound of an alarm or somthing like that they would go to the weapon's locker and pick up a sword, it didn't matter which because they were all the same.

i use about half the swords i get for my own crew, or sell them. they're very far from useless. you shouldn't forget though that if an entire naval crew has good swords, that would be way too expensive for the navy to afford. the swords would be mediocre at best. realistic though it may be, i worry what it would do for game balance.

After two boarding the swords are preety much useless. The crew has plenty, and you can sell them for a top price of 3K.

About the game balance, what do you mean by it?
I didn't say that the swords have to be good swords, just matching. The officers though, might have good non matching swords.
I think it will add to gameplay because cheap kinda regular swords will be very common and the better ones more rare. I'm not talking about nobility swords, but iv'e had alot of encounters with a crewmember I killed had a Papperhimer or somthing similiar to that.

I very much agree on this issue and Bartolomeu added some more weapons to the game so it could get worse.
Turning of the Weapons Mod will remove the qualities and simplify things, but we don't want to encourage that of course.
Therefore, sooner or later, we must figure out a way to do the Period Weapons mod coding.

What I want is to have only a few weapons available in each time period and have different ones in other time periods.
Additionally, I want the type of weapon used to depend on the character type using the weapon.
And we must ensure the rarity is finally taken into account properly and unique weapons will be UNIQUE.

The actual coding for this could be a bit tricky.
For one thing, we'd need to split up all weapons into categories as well and find all instances in the code where weapons are given to characters.

I have alot of free time so if you give me a short briefing on how to do it, I will start and probably finish fast because i'm kinda bored haha and have a curently unfixble bug in the Bartolomeu storyline ( finished the rest ).

The thing is... I don't know how to do it. I suppose look through the PROGRAM folder and find the GiveItem2Character lines that might be where the random characters get their random weapons from.

Yeah the period mod (which includes the NPC specific weapons) is really quite advanced coding which is why it is still unfinished :facepalm

Actually, I'd say MOST of the Period code is quite simple, as long as you don't count the flags.
But the code giving weapons to characters is a different story.
I'm a bit ware of even trying, considering not even Hook managed to make the unique weapons properly unique. :modding

Back