• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Titanic

Considering that the latest years POTC is set in is in the late 1700's, early 1800's, that wouldn't be at all historically accurate for the game.

As a new model added to the game, she'd be completely out of place, that's for sure.
Heck, she'd even pose a new challenge on the game engine just because of her size. Even the 1st Rate ships would run away screaming at the mere sight of her! :shock
And think of all the cannon balls it would take to sink her...

As a one-off tribute to mark the anniversary, however, that might be a different story.
We already know that steamships can be simulated in the game, and this would simply be a giant unarmed version.
Let's face it, it's not going to happen, but I think it would be a beautiful thing if it did. Even just to see whether the game engine can cope with giant ships would be worth it. :cheeky

Why not put the Holland America Line cruiseship ms Maasdam in there while we're at it? That's the ship I'm working on. Could be fun! :razz

Can be something to do for an easter-egg campaign after all the hard work on current builds is done.

"Tourist era 1900-2015", with not much shooting going on, but cruise liners taking "passenger" cargo from isle to isle :p

Keep in mind, we don't even know if the game engine can fully handle all the mechanics of a ship the size of the titanic along with the steam system we'd have to put in for it...

Why not put the Holland America Line cruiseship ms Maasdam in there while we're at it? That's the ship I'm working on. Could be fun! :razz
I think in that case, you would have to do the modelling... :slap

Keep in mind, we don't even know if the game engine can fully handle all the mechanics of a ship the size of the titanic along with the steam system we'd have to put in for it...
As I said before: "Let's face it, it's not going to happen". We would need someone to model her in the first place, and I don't know any modellers who aren't busy right now.
Still, we could easily test whether the game engine could cope with a huge model by making a simple shape to the right dimensions.
The steam system would just be a modified version of the steam frigates' code, which wouldn't be hard to do.

I don't think the game would care about the size of the model, even though the ship's handling might be a bit dodgy.
As far as I'm concerned, I think the possibility is there. Whether it's worth the effort is a different question altogether though. :wp

Well, no offense to whoever originally wanted this, but this is Pirates of the Caribbean, and the titanic is way beyond any technology introduced to the game (not counting the steam frigates). Sorry, but I just found this to be so outlandish when it was introduced. lol

When I saw that in the news I almost couldn't believe it. I've always wanted to see a full-size replica of the Titanic, and now it's becoming a reality! :D
All it took was an Australian billionnaire and a Chinese shipyard... didn't see that one coming.

Not quite how I would choose to spend that much money, but I suppose there is some commercial gain to be had there. I find it interesting that the underwater hull will be of a modern form while preserving the original form above the waterline.

Not quite how I would choose to spend that much money, but I suppose there is some commercial gain to be had there. I find it interesting that the underwater hull will be of a modern form while preserving the original form above the waterline.

Yea, me too. :/
But we won't see it, so! :D

When I saw that in the news I almost couldn't believe it. I've always wanted to see a full-size replica of the Titanic, and now it's becoming a reality! :D
All it took was an Australian billionnaire and a Chinese shipyard... didn't see that one coming.

Could be great to be onboard to its maiden voyage! ;D

To the aristocracy a ship like that is just another super yacht. It's not a lot of money to that class of people.

John Hammergren - Christopher Helman - Forbes

Back