• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

The REAL "Blackbeard"

modernknight1

Field Marshall of Hot Tubs
Staff member
Storm Modder
Article deleted because of Post Captain's dictatorial dominance of Pirates Ahoy! website...

Attachments

• Blackbeard's head.jpg
    Blackbeard's head.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Fantastic article MK! :onya

I think his monicker, plus that of his just as infamous flagship, is one reason his legend persists. The successful blockade of Charleston helped solidify his reputation as well. I do agree though, that book article did have quite a bit to do with the fact that his legend has persisted.

The larger than life "demon from hell" image that he painted for himself is definitely another factor. There is no doubt that Blackbeard mastered the art of intimidation, not only with his crew, but his victims as well. After all, it is much more profitable if your victims simply surrender when they see that black and red flag, rather than actually put up a fight.

Thanks for the comments mates.

Thagarr, I agree that his blockade of Charlestown was a notable act, but he knew he couldn't pull it off for long. In fact the act in itself shows just how reckless and full of insane hubris he was. Charlestown was a major port at that time. He was lucky there wasn't a British warship or two in port when he started that silliness, and there surely would have been within days/weeks of the incident if it hadn't have ended up the way it did - not to mention that he was being hunted as it was at that time. He reminds me of one of these modern bank robbers that just has no sense, but ends up getting lucky anyway.

As an aside I failed to mention one particularly interesting tidbit I dug up doing the research for this story. It was rumored that his skull was made into a drinking chalice by the Governor of Virginia, with the top of his skull forming the circular bowl of the cup. Very macabre, but there are several mentions of this item by people over the years. The last mention of it is from a guest at the Governor's mansion that said he actually drank wine from the cup. That was in the 1890s and there has been no mention of it since. I would love to go dig up that little relic - eh. Its probably been tucked away in some state warehouse years ago - or was sold off as excess rummage after WWI by people who had no idea what it was. Could be that its sitting in your Great Aunt's attic as we speak - and she has no idea it's there. LOL

MK

I think I remember reading something about that a while back, but never really looked in to it much.

I ran across THIS article last year that you might find an interesting read.

Interesting article Thagarr, However I think the author failed to look at the obsession with spiritualism and death that permeated the elite cliches of America's upper class in the later half of the 19th century. Heads and bodies were actually stolen. Just do a little research on how many of our presidents graves have been broken into and body parts stolen over the years.

During the "Gilded Age" or "Belle Epoque" they went insane in my opinion from the 1890's to the stock market crash of 1929. I actually did a paper on this as part of my Senior seminar in history for my undergraduate degree (in history) on their twisted death cults and beliefs in existential elevation by learning hidden knowledge. The Masons exploded in membership during this era. The Skull as a symbol is found on all sorts of things from this time, so I have to shoot down the author's thesis from that article.

Also the most notable of these organizations from this time are Yale's infamous "Skull and Bones". The elitist "president producing" organization is shrouded in mystery, and the bonesmen are sworn to secrecy. However, it is well known that they possess a large collection of skulls - including many famous one.

George W Bush's grandfather was a "bonesman" (as was he and his father) and went with a couple of other bonesman in 1909 to the Commanche-Apache cemetery outside of Ft. Sill, OK - broke into the grave and took Geronimo's skull back to Yale. The Apache's have been pissed as **&^% ever since and demanded the return of the skull. The society denies everything, but there are dozens of anecdotes of people hearing them brag about it's theft and their possession of it. Ask any fullblood Apache about it and they will tell you who has it.

So I wondered if they might also be the ones that took Blackbeard's chalice as well??? I mean it was purported to be in Virginia AND at the Governor's mansion no less. Hmmmm Man, The people that we blindly allow to run things....

Here's a fun article in the same vein: MK http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1988719_1988728_1988723,00.html

Interesting article. I agree that Blackbeard was as crazy as a shithouse rat. And yes, he certainly has no claim to be remembered as one of the all-time greats of piracy. I think his gimmick and intimidation tactics made him so notorious. However, I disagree on one thing: "He was known for taking no prisoners."

The reputation that preceeded Blackbeard was largely based upon the fact, that he often would spare his victims ... so that they could tell about him and his .... ehhh ... dramatic appearance.

Be that as it may: Yes, he was not all that as a pirate. For me one of the greatest pirates, who is little acknowledged, would be Peter Easton. Easton managed to collect a fleet of 40 ships, all while being an all-out pirate (not as a privateer). He managed to pay all his men after some years of action and ended up being filthy rich. Other than many of his peers he did NOT die by being hanged or killed. He simply became old and died. That to me looks like a successful pirate.

I remember on a book depicting pirates history from ancient era to the modern era, Blackbeard's last note on his journal "Rhum is finished, Hell came to us"

Very interesting article, especially in parts where his treatment of prisoners and crew is detailed. Strongly goes against what I have heard from documentaries and such.

Very interesting article, especially in parts where his treatment of prisoners and crew is detailed. Strongly goes against what I have heard from documentaries and such.

Thanks for the comment. I must say that I hope people don't take my "no prisoners" comment as gospel. Remember that I used Defoe as my primary source and many historians say that he exaggerated many of his narratives to sell more copies of his book.

Obviously Teach did not kill all of his prisoners because of his reputation. He also did not take that many prizes which is why I label him a "small timer". We do know that a few of the prizes he took were left derelict - as in the case of the final French merchantman the hunting expedition found that was after him. It is thought that everyone was killed because Blackbeard knew that there was no war with France and that she was not a legal privateer target even though when he left Bath he was supposedly going on a "privateering expedition". "Dead men tell no tales" as it were - in this case.

As I've said in other articles I've written - one should never get trapped in ALWAYS or NEVER statements. Over-generalization and absolutes make for bad history. There are almost always exceptions in my experience and study.

Last if you are talking about the documentaries the so called History Channel puts out I consider almost everything they do revisionist, hack, badly researched blather. I gave up totally on that channel when they started to put programs about aliens on. They should call it the Historical Fantasy Theory Channel.

I still occasionally watch it when I want a laugh or two.

MK

Back