• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

the amazing JUNK

Managed to export with locators showing, but model appears really tiny in GM viewer even when exported with scalling option selected. This is nonsense because I imported BP into maya to check if the size is normal. Also Maya keeps crashing constantly for no apparent reason. Is the moon full or something?
laugh.gif

Also: what absent stuff won't cause game to crash? I need to know this so I could do some in game tests

Yeah, the scaling option doesn't seem to work as it should do, for some reason.
You need to manually scale the entire model to be 100 times bigger before exporting (assuming it was scaled to the size of a ship exported from GM Viewer).
Anyway, which settings did you use to get the locators to show up? :will

The bare bones a ship needs to function in-game are the hull, path, and at least one mast and sail. Anything else can be left out for testing purposes.
(I think you can even ignore the path, as long as you don't enter 1st person mode at sea, but I'm not sure.)

I agree a new tutorial is needed. I was going to write one myself containing everything I know, minus how to get locators to export, but haven't got round to it yet.
If you like, I can help with your tutorial, and we can hopefully put one together which finally covers everything fully and clearly.

Anyway, which settings did you use to get the locators to show up?
it's kinda hard to explain briefly, but one I can say - don't trust the maya tutorial
laugh.gif
Mostly it's the hypergraph that's kept me bothering.

I agree a new tutorial is needed. I was going to write one myself containing everything I know, minus how to get locators to export, but haven't got round to it yet.
If you like, I can help with your tutorial, and we can hopefully put one together which finally covers everything fully and clearly.
Sure. But I want to make sure things work as they should first, so I would not put any misguided information on the board for everybody to rely on
icon_wink.gif

now about PROGRESS on the Empress:

empress_first_ingame_shot.jpg
first in-game shot from the pier in Speighstown

Please, don't mind that it only has one sail or the hideous textures. I'm hoping someone will be interested in making it look decent

Personally, I am not a big fan of the movies, but that Empress model is Awesome! Nice work mate! :woot

it's kinda hard to explain briefly, but one I can say - don't trust the maya tutorial
laugh.gif
Mostly it's the hypergraph that's kept me bothering.
You can PM me with the details if you want. I don't mind how long-winded an explanation it is,
it would really help for some of the modelling projects I have ongoing if I could export some of the locators with the model.
I understand a lot about the export process, and have exported several models successfully (without locators), so you don't need to start from square one, if that helps. ;)

Anyway, I'm loving your progress on the Empress! It's great to finally see something in-game! :woot
You can almost guarantee that Legendary_Spider will come along and spend hours on the textures for you, considering this is a film ship. :cheeky

Does anyone know if it is possible to make 'goose wings'?
for explanation see the image below
Shrike-running.jpg

the idea is to force the yards turning to one direction on the first mast and to the opposite direction on the second mast
This is really common for junk rigs, but if it's impossible then i'll just stick with regular gaff rotation

Possibly, I'm not sure if you'd get the desired effect. :shrug
Changing the 'XX' coordinate (of the geometry locator that connects the sail to the mast) to "-1" will force the sail to act like a spanker sail should, turning to be perpendicular to the wind.
Leaving this as "1" for the other sails will make them act normally, but probably not in a mirror image of the other sail like in your example.

Through some unfortunate export of the rey model, I seem to have managed make the sail to actually furl down like on real junks
w00t.gif
it IS possible. Investigating this case now

Also the 'goose wings' goes to Davy Jone's, as I could not get the desirable effect. This allowed junks to sail really fast when wind blew from aft as the sail area is huge

Do you mean the sail gathers at the bottom rather than the top when furled?
That's easily possible just by swapping the top sail locators with the bottom ones, I think. How did you manage it otherwise?

Before, I always thought that the sails are supposed to ONLY gather at the top and the other way would crash the game. Seems that I have rotated the yard in wrong direction, which resulted in it being fixed to the mast upside down
laugh.gif
. Imagine me seeing the sail furling the opposite way and game not crashing.

Switching sail locators doesn't seem to be enough. Currently the yards are almost always parallel to the wind and the sails are bent in wrong direction too.

Also you know how it's possible to attach ropes to sails? I just thought, if there is some way to attach yards to sails too, which would result in yards moving together with sails.

I've seen it work before on the Bermuda sloops in-game, and that only involves locators, I believe.
Have a look at SloopBermuda_rey_a3.gm in GM Viewer to see how the locators are arranged. ;)

To fix the sails' orientation with the wind, that's where you need to use TOOL to change the XX directional coordinates to -1, for the geometry locator of the yard.
That reflects the yard in the x-axis, which causes reverse lighting, but also makes it swing around as if to catch the wind, rather than trying to remain parallel to it.
There's a workaround to rectify the reverse lighting, which I can describe in detail if you need it.
The best way to fix it, though, is to reverse the normals of the yard model in Maya, so the lighting is corrected in-game.

Anyway, I see what you mean about making yards move with the sails as they furl up/down, but I'm not sure it's possible.
I've never tried it practically, but the way I understand it, the ropes only move with the sails because they are put into the same locator group as the sail locators.
Geometry locators, however, use up the locator group with the name "geometry", so they can't be attached to the sails in the same way. :facepalm
What would happen is the extra yards should remain static, regardless of the sail state, unfortunately.

I'm not using TOOL at ALL, remember
razz.gif
? Anyways already figured it out, but gonna leave it for some other time as I'm ready to take a nap directly on the keyboard
laugh.gif

Yeah, not being able to parent the mesh locator directly to the sails group is most unfortunate (stupid 'geometry' group
laugh.gif
)

Yeah, I know. I just keep thinking of the way I'd do it myself, sorry. I can't get Maya to export locators, so I have to use TOOL, remember? :rolleyes:
I would still appreciate an explanation on how you succeeded with exporting locators, if that's not too much trouble... :wp (when you're more awake, of course!)

OK. I'm writing it, but I planned to make a complete 'noob to maya' kind of tutorial for people who are only interested in export process. It would include setup of the scene, import of *.obj, some explanation on maya's tools (maybe shortcuts) and how to navigate through it. Also with pictures

Thanks mate. A full tutorial for those who have never used Maya would still be great, but for now I just need to be on the same page as you as soon as possible, really. :cheers
Being able to export locators would certainly help for my work on the PotBS Trinity 2nd Rate, because the locators need making from scratch.
That can be done in TOOL, but requires extensive trial-and-error, especially for the cannon locators, which can be precisely made in Maya.

I am having a problem with TOOL. I can't open the mast2, and mast3 in it to make changes to locators. The damn thing says 'the model can not be read'. The mast1 model is basically the same model with same amount of locators only different names and It CAN NOT be read? WTH?!
modding.gif

Back