• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Tall Ships Festivals Coming to Southern California

Post Captain

Seamanship Advisor
Coordinator
QC Advisor
Storm Modder
This might be of interest to anyone living in the general area. I don't have very much time right now, so I'll try to keep this nice and brief

It's that time of year again. The San Diego Festival of Sail will be held September 2nd to September 5th in the San Diego Maritime Museum. Participating vessels will include the tops'l schooner Amazing Grace, the three masted schooner American Pride, the schooner Bill of Rights, the Tops'l schooner Californian, The racing schooner Curlew, the brigantines Exy Johnson and Irving Johnson, the yawl Jada, the yacht Medea, the Galleon San Salvidor, the Schooner Spirit of Dana Point, the Barque Star of India, the frigate Hms Surprise, and the Brig Pilgrim, of course. There will be several other historic non-tall ships attending.

The Toshiba Tall Ships Festival will be held on September 7th through September 9th. All of the tall ships listed above, except Surprise and Star of India, will be attending.

I'll be at both festivals on board Pilgrim.

Nice writeup mate! :onya

I wish I was in the area, I would love to be able to attend! There is a Tall Ship Festival up in Chicago once a year, but I avoid Chicago like the plague!

When will the San Salvador be finished? That would be a nice ship to get in game.

She should be in the water by the end of this year, and rigged up by the end of next year. I have no idea where to get the plans (the original S.S. wasn't built fro plans, so the new ones are... well, new.) I do have some pictures of the ribs and framing that are fairly interesting. I'll see if I can get down to Spanish Landing Park (thirty minute walk, maybe) during the festival and get more pictures.

I doubt I'll get to the one in San Diego, but I'll definitely be at the one in Dana Point. In full Jack Sparrow costume, of course. :doff I'll be attending the parade on Friday too, to get some nice pics of all the ships sailing in.

So then, is everyone gonna be sailing in from the south from San Diego, instead of coming in around the Dana Point peninsula like they normally do?

I'll be sticking around after the festival to get pics of the cannon battles too. Always makes for great pictures.

Always wanted to go to the San Diego one, but I never seem get around to it. :shrug

We'll all be sailing around the peninsula as usual. We all slip up there at around noon and sail down. If you get there early enough, you'll be able to see all the ships sneaking out of the harbor.

I'll be attending the parade on Friday too, to get some nice pics of all the ships sailing in.

By the way... I won't be able to make the actual parade sail this year, but I may turn up as a spectator, probably in a navy pea coat and Pilgrim crew uniform.

Don't worry about missing San Diego. Unless you're on the ship crews, there isn't much more to do. I did get to go aloft on Star of India this year, but that's about all they have to offer. We'll be doing a sail-setting demonstration on Pilgrim Saturday and Sunday if all goes well. I'll update as information becomes available.

Aww that's too bad. Well if you do show up, give me a wave. I'll be at the parade and definitely one of the festival days. Probably both. I mainly go to get pics of the ships sailing about.

Shoot. I missed the parade of tallships. Didn't get single shot. I got there too late. I can get shots of the other ships tomorrow and sunday, but now I gotta wait a whole year to get shots of the Pilgrim sailing. :rumgone

Here's a shot from last year with you sitting on the end of the Pilgrim's jib boom. That looks like fun! :popcorn:

523539_490129667665211_23085851_n.jpg

She is. I coulda posted another pic with the sails full of wind, but this shot shows off more of the ship plus the best shot where you can see Post Captain perched precariously on the tip of the jib. That's also the Pilgrim in my signature picture.

Nope. If we were tacking the main yards would be braced around on the opposite tack. There just wasn't enough wind to fill our sails.
The engine was on.
I wasn't quite on the tip... I'm the next guy down sitting on the boom.

When you come down, I'd advise avoiding looking at the port head rails or port fore shrouds. We had a little mishap...

Oh you're the one chilling in the net?

On the Pilgrim? What happened to her? I didn't go today, but I will definitely be there tomorrow. I'll take a look.

I was sitting on the boom, but I was the second one out- right ahead of the inner jib.
Last night as we were coming in, the tide was pretty bad, and we got pushed into the upper part of that dock we have. It made the most horrible ripping sound you'll ever hear, and took out three of our fore shrouds. Now we can't send anyone up on that mast until they're fixed. That's a problem, since we also have unfinished furls up there that won't get fixed for another two months. Ouch.

That's sad the Pilgrim was damaged. I hope no one was hurt. I bet that will cost a lot to fix. I got so discouraged by the fact that I missed the parade, I didn't stick around to watch the ships dock, except for the two Johnsons and the Spirit temporarily in the Pilgrim's spot. So I missed the whole thing. Since I missed the parade, the cannon battles in the late afternoon should provide some decent shots.

Nobody was hurt. We were lucky that we came in during high tide, or we would've lost our backstays as well, potentially destroying the entire foremast.

Back