• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Sword of Triton speed burst

Captain92

Sailor Apprentice
Hello to all,

I was playng with the Blackbeard character, so I tried the speed burst.

But the speed of the ship remain the same, for example I had 4.4 knots and after activating the skill, the speed never changed.

Can you help me?

Well sir Pieter,
I’ve not tried those ships, even once.
It’s been almost 4 years that I don’t play the mods, so It’s kinda all new to me.
For example I didn’t realize, that the information the spyglass, has been turned off for realistic mode, and That’s fine as it is, a spyglass really don’t tell nothing in reality.
But these is not intenzionale for the Sword of Triton, so I can check the steam grifate later, after work.

Well sir Pieter,
I’ve not tried those ships, even once.
It’s been almost 4 years that I don’t play the mods, so It’s kinda all new to me.
For example I didn’t realize, that the information the spyglass, has been turned off for realistic mode, and That’s fine as it is, a spyglass really don’t tell nothing in reality.
But these is not intenzionale for the Sword of Triton, so I can check the steam grifate later, after work.
You can check the steam frigates very easily by selecting Robert Fulton as your Free Play character.
You're supposed to be able to use the engine with the numpad + and - keys.
Completely independently from the wind.

It works in classic B14.
But it uses a bit of a hack.
So I wouldn't be surprised if it stopped working on the newer engines. :modding

Well,

what can I say...tested and as you expected even steam fregate didn't work, even with full engines the speed din't chage.

I tryed also on beyond new horizons, and the speed burst of sword of triton didn't work

@Grey Roger and/or @Jack Rackham:
WHAAAAAAT is THIS?!?
1706652084103.png
Never saw THAT before!
I had no clue there was any new feature here. :shock

Well,

what can I say...tested and as you expected even steam fregate didn't work, even with full engines the speed din't chage.

I tryed also on beyond new horizons, and the speed burst of sword of triton didn't work
BUG CONFIRMED!
On Maelstrom, everything works except the actual speed itself.
On Beyond New Horizons, the engine indicator and the sound do work; but the speed nor the particles are functional.

All of these features run on the same line of code:
Code:
rCharacter.Ship.Impulse.Rotate.z
Once upon a time, by accident, I found out that line somehow creates movement in the longitudinal direction.
In Storm 2.0, that is...

While we're at it, this here might no longer work either:
Code:
// PB: Rewritten Storm Rotate Impulse -->
        float fRotate = 0.0;
        if(CheckAttribute(arCharShip, "Impulse"))
            stf(arCharShip.Impulse.Rotate.y);                                        // Read the rotate impulse the ship already has
        if(!CheckAttribute(arCharShip,"stormimp"))    arCharShip.stormimp = fRotate;    // If not being pushed, store the rotate impulse before the push
                                                                                    // Else the ship is already being pushed
        switch(rand(9))                                                                // 2-in-10 chance that any of the first two actions happen
        {
            case 0: fRotate -= 0.01; break;                                            // Take the original rotate impulse and push a bit either way
            case 1: fRotate += 0.01; break;                                            // Not just to port
            fRotate = arCharShip.stormimp;                                            // Else set the impulse to what it was before the storm push
            DeleteAttribute(arCharShip,"stormimp");                                    // Remove it because the ship is not being pushed either way by the storm anymore
        }
        arCharShip.Impulse.Rotate.y = fRotate;                                        // Apply the new rotate impulse to the ship, which may include a storm push
    }
    else                                                                            // If the storm has ended
    {
        if(CheckAttribute(arCharShip, "stormimp"))                                    // And if the ship is still having a storm push, eg. there is a stored rotate impulse
        {
            arCharShip.Impulse.Rotate.y = arCharShip.stormimp;                        // Set the impulse to what it was before the storm push, eg. stop her turning
            DeleteAttribute(arCharShip,"stormimp");                                    // Remove it because the ship is no longer in the storm
        }
    }
// PB: Rewritten Storm Rotate Impulse <--
That's another Impulse line of code. :modding

EDIT: This one is SORT-OF confirmed.
In MNH and BNH, the "Impulse.Rotate.y" now applies a single push.
Instead of a continuous rotational moment.
So it still does SOMETHING.
But not what we designed things for... :confused:

On the whole, the following features are affected by this in one way or another:
1. Steam ship propulsion
2. Tacking of NPC ships when they're sailing too close to the wind direction
3. Flying Dutchman having the special power (as per the DMC movie) to sail STRAIGHT INTO THE WIND
4. Storm rotate impulse which makes it harder to keep course during a storm (to prevent storms from being too boring)
5. Black Pearl "Sweeps" ability
6. Queen Anne's Revenge/Blackbeard's "Sword of Triton" speed burst

(By the way, does anyone know who is "C92"?
That's the person who gave the "Sword of Triton" the additional instant sail and damage attacks.
I wasn't aware until recently that somebody added to my little Easter Egg. :cheeky )

Last edited:
@Grey Roger and/or @Jack Rackham:
WHAAAAAAT is THIS?!?
View attachment 43853
Never saw THAT before!
I had no clue there was any new feature here.
That's @Jack Rackham's starting quest for FreePlay engineers. Go to Cartagena library, look for parts and build a special weapon. You'll also meet the scary librarian who will object violently if you try to steal any books - and there's a special surprise if you manage to steal the whole lot! It's not exactly new, it dates back to 2021.

While we're at it, this here might no longer work either:
Code:
// PB: Rewritten Storm Rotate Impulse -->
        float fRotate = 0.0;
        if(CheckAttribute(arCharShip, "Impulse"))
            stf(arCharShip.Impulse.Rotate.y);                                        // Read the rotate impulse the ship already has
        if(!CheckAttribute(arCharShip,"stormimp"))    arCharShip.stormimp = fRotate;    // If not being pushed, store the rotate impulse before the push
                                                                                    // Else the ship is already being pushed
        switch(rand(9))                                                                // 2-in-10 chance that any of the first two actions happen
        {
            case 0: fRotate -= 0.01; break;                                            // Take the original rotate impulse and push a bit either way
            case 1: fRotate += 0.01; break;                                            // Not just to port
            fRotate = arCharShip.stormimp;                                            // Else set the impulse to what it was before the storm push
            DeleteAttribute(arCharShip,"stormimp");                                    // Remove it because the ship is not being pushed either way by the storm anymore
        }
        arCharShip.Impulse.Rotate.y = fRotate;                                        // Apply the new rotate impulse to the ship, which may include a storm push
    }
    else                                                                            // If the storm has ended
    {
        if(CheckAttribute(arCharShip, "stormimp"))                                    // And if the ship is still having a storm push, eg. there is a stored rotate impulse
        {
            arCharShip.Impulse.Rotate.y = arCharShip.stormimp;                        // Set the impulse to what it was before the storm push, eg. stop her turning
            DeleteAttribute(arCharShip,"stormimp");                                    // Remove it because the ship is no longer in the storm
        }
    }
// PB: Rewritten Storm Rotate Impulse <--
That's another Impulse line of code. :modding

EDIT: This one is SORT-OF confirmed.
In MNH and BNH, the "Impulse.Rotate.y" now applies a single push.
Instead of a continuous rotational moment.
So it still does SOMETHING.
But not what we designed things for... :confused:

On the whole, the following features are affected by this in one way or another:
1. Steam ship propulsion
2. Tacking of NPC ships when they're sailing too close to the wind direction
3. Flying Dutchman having the special power (as per the DMC movie) to sail STRAIGHT INTO THE WIND
4. Storm rotate impulse which makes it harder to keep course during a storm (to prevent storms from being too boring)
5. Black Pearl "Sweeps" ability
6. Queen Anne's Revenge/Blackbeard's "Sword of Triton" speed burst

(By the way, does anyone know who is "C92"?
That's the person who gave the "Sword of Triton" the additional instant sail and damage attacks.
I wasn't aware until recently that somebody added to my little Easter Egg. :cheeky )
I’m captain 92, a long time ago I asked to Sir Peter how can a possibile rigging attack could work in the mod, so I give him some hints on what I had in Mind at that time.
He gave his idea, I tested it, and it worked very well
Year 2016 or 2017, if I remeber correctly.

In that time I wanted to ask also, a possibile ship in a bottle ability, but I was not sure if could be possible.
Maybe It’s to much of a cheat also, so I stopped with the rigging attack.
I don’t know nothing about coding, so all work has been done by Peter and others for the icons for the skill, I only tested it.

Last edited:
That's @Jack Rackham's starting quest for FreePlay engineers. Go to Cartagena library, look for parts and build a special weapon. You'll also meet the scary librarian who will object violently if you try to steal any books - and there's a special surprise if you manage to steal the whole lot! It's not exactly new, it dates back to 2021.
Wow, I knew there was talks of him doing that, but I never realized it was finished.
It's not listed on New Horizons Side Quest List either.

I’m captain 92, a long time ago I asked to Sir Peter how can a possibile rigging attack could work in the mod, so I give him some hints on what I had in Mind at that time.
He gave his idea, I tested it, and it worked very well
Year 2016 or 2017, if I remeber correctly.

In that time I wanted to ask also, a possibile ship in a bottle ability, but I was not sure if could be possible.
Maybe It’s to much of a cheat also, so I stopped with the rigging attack.
I don’t know nothing about coding, so all work has been done by Peter and others for the icons for the skill, I only tested it.
Ah, good to see you still around!
I had no memory of helping you with this one.
But it does make sense to have.
Even if it might make the player a biiit overpowered. :p

Well as I said,
It’s been too long since I’ve played this amazing mods.
In fact It’s been a surprise, seeing how it has been developed over time.
For too much I’ve been away from these waters.

Now I’m back, and if I can help with testing, also a little bit, let me know.

And about ideas, I’ve one in mind.

About sails, as all know there are only two assets, full sails or battle sails.

I remenber in Pirates of the burning sea, you can decrease or increase the speed of the ship, loosing the sail ecc.
Maybe whit the old engine it was impossibile, but with the new ones it can be possible?
And if it is possibile how much work will require?
I know the sword of Triton It’s a bit overpowered, but is a mitical sword, and you made fun of the films happy ☺️.

Last edited:
Hello to all,

I've downloaded and installed the recent version o fnew horizon maelstrom.

The bug still persist and I found a new one.

On isla de Muerta I've killed Blackbeard, but when I was looting him he has nothing, no sword of Triton on him

Hello to all,

I've downloaded and installed the recent version o fnew horizon maelstrom.

The bug still persist and I found a new one.

On isla de Muerta I've killed Blackbeard, but when I was looting him he has nothing, no sword of Triton on him
To my great frustration, nobody has stepped in to fix this bug yet in either Maelstrom or StormX.

As for the lack of sword, didn't it just automatically end up in your inventory?
I believe Auto Loot is on by default...

No no sword in my inventory, not even with auto loot, and yes auto loot is in by default.
Well can I help? Maybe if I learn a viòle of tricks with coding I can test somenthing

Put this into your "PROGRAM" folder. In any game, press F12 to activate it. That should produce an on-screen message "Executed Console". If not, upload "error.log". If the message does appear, upload "compile.log". Also check your inventory.

This "console.c" should give you a Sword of Triton and dump all of Blackbeard's attributes into "compile.log". If you get the sword then it proves the sword exists in the game. A look through "compile.log" should show if Blackbeard has the sword.

Attachments

• console.c
    35.5 KB · Views: 10
Back