• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Suggestion for the To San Juan quest: have the player talk to the innkeeper in Pirate Fort to find captain Pinto

Fluen

Freebooter
As I have just played this quest, I noticed, that the New Horizons mods fill the tavern in Pirate Fort with people than the stock game. How is the player supposed to figure out, that one of them is a captain, who can transport them away from Bonaire?

Your tips on the load screens tell players to alway ask the innkeeper, because they know, what goes on in the area. So why not make an addition to the innkeeper's dialogue, so the player can ask him, if there is a ship bound for San Juan, and the innkeeper can point out Pinto? It's done that way in several other quests when looking for a certain person.

But perhaps something in the quest book about talking to the locals, so a player knows where to ask?

What might be worth doing is to rewrite "PROGRAM\DIALOGS\ENGLISH\peasant_dialog.h". This is the dialog for the man who meets you on the shore after the storm. He tells you to go into the city, which is no longer necessary.

On the other hand, if you do go all the way into the city, the tavern keeper Friedrich Corleis should indeed have dialog:
You: "I'm wondering if the ship named '<insert your ship's name here>' has been in port."
Friedrich: "I'm sorry. I don't know anything about it."
You: "That's too bad. And I don't have the money to rent a ship..."
Friedrich: "Then you need a job, don't you? To tell the truth, you won't find much here. But they say there are pirates somewhere on our island who will accept just about anyone into their ranks."

In the stock game, this was an annoying trolling move, letting you run from Palm Beach to Douwesen town in the middle of the night (no time speeding up!) just to learn your ship isn't there and then return to Pirate fort. Luckily, going into town first wasn't required and I think even the first time I was smart enough to go to Pirate Fort directly, as I already knew about its existence.

The general rule that tavern keepers have all the answers applies most of the time (yet still I often try to point it out specifically in Devlin Opera), but in this case, asking the pirates hanging around the fort still seems relatively natural and not too far-fetched. I'd like to point out that many quests in the game (feels like pointing fingers at someone, but mostly Bartolomeu-created stuff) require you to talk to one specific quest characters you couldn't possibly know in advance was the right one.

One general thing I noticed about Pirate fort recently is that it uses the stock game character models for the pirates walking around, man2 village idiot and such. I don't know if we should consider throwing in one or two more piratey models.

I'm so sorry, I got this thread started. It appears, that I'm so familiar with the quest, that I don't properly read the things people say to me, but only remember things written in my quest book. So I had completely missed the part about talking to the innkeeper in Kralendijk. This is a typical case of an Error 40. :oops:

Back