• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Suggestion for Nathaniel's ship name.

L0M3N

Sailor
No offense but Sea Horse is terrible.
I suggest Bird of Prey.
And I know I can edit the name to what I want.
I just think we should have a better default name.
Sea Horse just sounds very girly and lame for a ship name.

Also is there a way to get the compass back to the top right corner of the screen
and make it big again so I can actually read it?

No offense but Sea Horse is terrible.
I suggest Bird of Prey.
And I know I can edit the name to what I want.
I just think we should have a better default name.
Sea Horse just sounds very girly and lame for a ship name.

Also is there a way to get the compass back to the top right corner of the screen
and make it big again so I can actually read it?

It's called "Sea Horse" because the ship model has a sea horse figurehead. You can rename it anyways. If we called it Bird of Prey I would have to rename Nathaniel "Romulan Commander" or something like that, even though I understand why you think Bird of Prey is appropriate due to Nathaniel's last name.
You can get the compass back by buying a compass from a vendor. You don't start with a compass. If you get a fancy compass it should appear in the top right and be big again.

fancy compass you say?
also does anyone know why the difficulty level
option is greyed out in options?
Please don't tell me I have to make a new game to play on a different difficulty.

You can call the starting ship anything you want, but it is basically a fishing boat, not a warship. Have you ever watched the movie "Spaceballs"?

When you get good enough someone will sell you a cheap compass. Later if you get better someone will sell you a better compass that is displayed in the upper right hand corner.

I don't know why difficulty is there at all. You choose your difficulty when you rename your ship.

I have never tried this, but someone started a vicious rumor that if you talk to a priest properly you can reset your game and set the difficulty to what you want.

you can set the difficulty by talking to an officer last time i checked. or that might just be with fred bob, i don't know.

With the Priest in Port Royale Church ( not sure about the others ) - you can get all your natural skills set back to 1

Also all your Abilities will be unallocated ( so you can reallocate them ) :mm

In the dialogs choose the - " I am dispairing about my struggle in life I wish I could start it all over" option.

Difficulty can be changed by talking to a hired officer ( not quest officers ) incl Fred Bob :yes

Choose the " About me - I don't seem to fit quite right in this world " dialog

:cheeky

@ LOM3N, Well the starting ship was called 'Victory' until I complained about that ;)

Your Lugger is a fishing boat - it has 4 pounder cannons, and although quite fast(too fast even?) it IS NOT a warship or even close. It's about 40 feet of thin wood waiting to either be sunk by a storm, or captured by pirates. That's why it's a starting ship, it's one of the 'worst' in the game and gives you a reason to upgrade to the more powerfull ships that would better suit a name like 'Bird of Prey', or 'Victory' even :yes

It's called 'Sea Horse' for a reason, it being a weak small fishing boat, and that the figure head on it is...a sea horse! They used to use naming conventions like that on these old boats. In my game my starting Lugger is called 'The Pegasus', because it's figure head is that of a winged horse. That's just historical accuracy my friend, which is what much of the Build Mod is about you will find(well, and bugs!) :mm

I don't get why we start in the Heavy Lugger which is bigger than some other ships that are better than it.
I preferred being in a regular Lugger. Again just more feedback. You guys probably
have a reason for the change.

Just for a change i think. The 'Lugger1' had been used for a while in the previous patches, so it was just for a change. I'm sure once we move out of Beta into the final stages of the final version a different starting ship will be chosen ;)

Even though i really love the textures on the LuggerVML, i'm not so keen on the sailing postion in 3D direct sail mode, as it is a little too high and central to get a good clear view of the horizon ahead, and the 'reduced' sails look a little too 'cartoonish'(or not authentic) imho. The textures on the hull and rigging are amazing though! and to think this is a 8 year old game!!

We chose to use the Heavy Lugger because it's a much higher quality model, which isn't otherwise encountered very often. ;)
The camera height can be adjusted if it's too high (unless you're on about the 3rd person view).
As for the 'reduced' sails, don't they all look like that on every ship? That can't be changed.

As for the 'reduced' sails, don't they all look like that on every ship? That can't be changed.

I think it could be dependant on the sails choice? I mostly use 'Parus', but compare the sails overall shape on say Lugger1 with Lugger VML. LuggerVML has a very 'short' curved and streamlined looking sail area, it is stylish but looks a bit 'unreal' compared to the stock Luggers sail? This is just one of those personal preference things and not a big deal ;)

Actually it might relate to the higher deck position, so the model got 'short' sails so you could still see where you were going while at the wheel?

Edit: and here you go L0M3N, some info on figureheads on ships in the time period of the game and what they represented:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Figurehead_%28object%29

Going by dates, that is the first ship I re rigged. Do all the ropes and sails line up?

oh i don't know.
I was testing my game and saw it and captured it and after seeing its stats
I quit the game.
In the minute I looked at it nothing stood out.

Back