• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Storyline Swords and Side Quest Period Errors

Nightmare

Freebooter
I've Been wondering for free play if i chose jack sparrow or black beard or any character some of these characters have there own swords in story mode maybe they can be placed in free play. On some side quests some character models are incorrect for there time period such as this smuggling quest on bonaire a lady calls the guards and Spanish main models for dutch soldiers appear when they should be correct with their time period i have checked all of the periods and its the same. there are many of these time period errors in side quests i know this might be a lot of work but i think these errors need to be fixed.

If I recall, Blackbeard does already get his own sword at game start when selected for Free Play.
What other weapons would you propose linking to specific characters?
That isn't all that difficult to do.

I think I have a fair idea where those sidequest period logic errors come from.
Please post a list of the examples you run into; those may also be easily fixed.

Black Beard, Johan, Bartolomeu, Francis Drake and Jack sparrow don't have the story line swords in free play. i don't remember the side quest names nut might do more research soon but i know does characters i mentioned don't have there story line swords.

I thought Francis Drake DID get his own sword. But that might be as an English Privateer promotion reward and not at game start.
Will have to double-check, though @Grey Roger may know for sure.

Francis Drake gets his own sword upon promotion to rank 3. It's a bit powerful for a starting character (though if the "balancing" system isn't restored to what it was in Beta 3.5, I may reconsider :g2). See the definition of 'GiveSwordAndPerks' in "Nk.c".

Thanks; so that's Francis Drake covered, at least.
I do wonder what's up with Blackbeard though; I remember setting him up so that he DOES get his sword.

Does Bartolomeu even HAVE a sword of his own? I know Elting does.
But of course they have their own storylines and if you really want to play as them, those are the ones you should use.
Same goes for Sparrow, of course.

Bartolomeu has a sword of his own. From the description:
This eccentric sword given by the Portuguese Governor for Charles Baxter's arrest...
And that is indeed where during the storyline Bartolomeu receives the sword. ;)

Elting gets his fancy sword right at the start of his storyline. Perhaps he could get it as a free-play character as well, since unlike other storyline characters he doesn't do anything to earn the sword? Otherwise, if you want the storyline sword, play the storyline. :D

Looks like I misremembered on Blackbeard; there was NOT any code in place to give him his sword.
There was only code in place to remove the other Blackbeard from the Isla de Muerta shore, pretty much ensuring that you can't get that sword either.
So I've now rectified that.

Francis Drake is already OK, because he gets a modified version of his special sword upon promotion as English privateer in Free Play, courtesy of @Grey Roger.

As far as I'm concerned, Jack Sparrow, Johan Elting and Bartolomeu o Portugues are fine as-is, because they get their stuff in their storyline.
If you want to play as those actual characters, rather than look like them, that's what those storylines are for. ;)

On some side quests some character models are incorrect for there time period such as this smuggling quest on bonaire a lady calls the guards and Spanish main models for dutch soldiers appear when they should be correct with their time period i have checked all of the periods and its the same.
Which exact sidequest is that? It doesn't sound familiar to me?
These are the only ones that spring to mind
A girl won in a card game | PiratesAhoy!
Saving Toff's Daughter | PiratesAhoy!
But I don't think those are the ones, are they?

there are many of these time period errors in side quests i know this might be a lot of work but i think these errors need to be fixed.
What other examples do you know?
This needs to be fixed on a case-by-case basis, so we need as many details as possible on where this should be corrected.

I suspect @Nightmare may be referring to "Sinking the Vogelstruijs". You have to visit a smuggler's house in Kralendijk, the smuggler's wife catches you, and depending on what you say you may have to face a pair of soldiers. They're generated at case "callguards" with models "Soldier_hol4_16" and "Soldier_hol5_16", which according to "initModels.c" are indeed Spanish Main uniforms, probably because that quest was originally written for Jean de la Croix who also lives in the Spanish Main period.

Ah! That does explain it. I seem to remember tweaking that before, but I can double-check and make sure it is corrected.

I think this should do the trick:
Code:
    case "callguards":
       sld = LAi_CreateFantomCharacter(false, 0, true, true, 0.25, Nations[GetCurrentLocationNation()].fantomModel.m4, "reload", "reload1"); // PB
       LAi_SetHP(sld, 80.0, 80.0);
       LAi_SetGuardianType(sld);
       LAi_group_MoveCharacter(sld, "HOLLAND_GUARDS");

sld = LAi_CreateFantomCharacter(false, 0, true, true, 0.25, Nations[GetCurrentLocationNation()].fantomModel.m5, "reload", "reload1"); // PB
       LAi_SetHP(sld, 80.0, 80.0);
       LAi_SetGuardianType(sld);
       LAi_group_MoveCharacter(sld, "HOLLAND_GUARDS");

So apart from Blackbeard's sword and this sidequest error, are there any more examples to look at?
If not, I'll archive this one as "Fixed". :doff

What fix are you referring to now?
The ones I mentioned above as done are, well, already done.
Will be included in the next mod update, but I want to include some other stuff too.

Back