• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Storms and First Person suggestions

POOTIS

Powder Monkey
Hello!

I have came up with several ideas, which in my personal opinion, would make the game a wee bit more interesting. Please note that I do not know how the programming of this game works and some of these suggestions might be impossible, or rather more hard to do than they're worth.

First off - Storms.
More of a nuisance, rather than an actual threat. The best way to avoid damage in a storm would be to completely raise all sails and aim your ship towards the waves, after you take less than 30 seconds to do that you just have to wait. Unfortunately, sometimes quite a bit.
I think that a good way to make storms more interesting (and also add a reason to ''hunt for them'') would be to occasionally spawn special enemy ships, such as The Flying Dutchman, Cursed Black Pearl, Queen Anne's Revenge, Ghost Caravel, etc. Which the player could get to fight during a storm, of course this is a large problem if you're just starting out with a 7th, 6th tier ship. However, storms are rather easily avoided and the ships would spawn rarely. I feel like this would give more players a reason to look for storms for the ability to sink or capture one of these rare special ships, rather than buy them from Isla de Muerte.

First Person.
Currently we have the ability to go in first person when walking around town, however as soon as we take out our weapon or start talking to someone we immediately switch back to third person. My suggestion would be to, if possible of course, keep the first person view while fighting or talking, by removing the heads of the characters and placing the camera there, or keeping the heads and simply placing the camera slightly in front of the characters' heads.

I really hope that the ghost ship idea could be implemented, as I often find myself wanting to scout the Caribbean sea in search of these legendary ships for an epic battle, but unfortunately to my knowledge they can only be found in Isla de Muerte, where you can only buy them, rather than fight.

Storms:
You can't always avoid storms. In direct-sail, they may just happen. On the worldmap, you may be on a perfectly clear piece of sea, exit to sailing mode, and get a storm anyway.

Not everyone wants to upgrade to a big warship capable of taking on the fantasy ships. Some people are quite happy to stick with tier 5 or tier 6 ships, especially if they prefer a merchant or smuggling career. Also, fantasy ships should not appear in some storylines - Hornblower and Ardent should never encounter them, for a start.

And some people just don't like fantasy ships. Occasionally we get people asking for less film content, e.g. remove the Black Pearl from "Tales of a Sea Hawk". Between them and the folks who want more action with fantasy ships, I reckon we've got the balance about right at the moment.

First Person:
If that's possible without rewriting the basic game engine, I certainly don't know how to do it. And if it is possible, whoever does it had better take the time to test it thoroughly because it has the potential to break the game very badly!

More of a nuisance, rather than an actual threat. The best way to avoid damage in a storm would be to completely raise all sails and aim your ship towards the waves, after you take less than 30 seconds to do that you just have to wait. Unfortunately, sometimes quite a bit.
It was even more like that in the original game; that's why I added the "capsize" meter.
Probably still doesn't make storms really challenging, but with the potential for instantly losing your ship if you take the wrong action, I hope it is at least a bit more challenging than it used to be.

I really hope that the ghost ship idea could be implemented, as I often find myself wanting to scout the Caribbean sea in search of these legendary ships for an epic battle, but unfortunately to my knowledge they can only be found in Isla de Muerte, where you can only buy them, rather than fight.
We mostly don't like forcing fantasy content on players who may not want it, so I'm not quite sold on that idea myself.
However, you can create the battles you want yourself:
1. Buy the ships you want to fight from Vanderdecken
2. Put a companion captain in charge who has a reputation wildly on the opposite end of the scale to yourself
3. Wait for him (her?) to commit mutiny and turn against you

Back