• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Steam Gunboat

I'm guessing there's no way of using a diffuse layer to do that in Maya? As none of my textures right now are in the diffuse channel in my UV meta (unless I'm misunderstanding the definition of diffuse in this context) but if I apply one, I can get the desired effect (ie tiled planks with alpha rust overlay) quite easily.
There are of course many ways of doing this in 3D software and modern games, but we are at the mercy of the game engine's limitations. The mystery is that, apparently, this darkened overlay on the Black Pearl (now Lineship1 in New Horizons) is a distinct material, so that hull has three materials shared between two model components (the hull and deck). Normally, you can only apply one material per component, so I have no idea how this was achieved.

Also, super duper noob question, but how do the textures know where the texture directory is once the model's in the game? As I'm just applying them from a random folder on my desktop at the moment, thinking I'll relink them properly once it's in Maya...should I not be doing that? :unsure
All ships in the game look in RESOURCE\Textures\Ships for the relevant TGA.TX textures, so it doesn't matter at all where you put your textures while working on the model.

There are of course many ways of doing this in 3D software and modern games, but we are at the mercy of the game engine's limitations. The mystery is that, apparently, this darkened overlay on the Black Pearl (now Lineship1 in New Horizons) is a distinct material, so that hull has three materials shared between two model components (the hull and deck). Normally, you can only apply one material per component, so I have no idea how this was achieved.

I see, and that's good advice for me with this actually as I was planning on using three textures in tandem on my boiler (wooden cladding/whistle brass/iron belts)...I'll have to do a custom map for that then or even add brass by itself as a new texture, as I couldn't find a suitable existing one and I'll almost definitely need it for future models ie ships wheels, gun tracks, fixtures and fittings.

All ships in the game look in RESOURCE\Textures\Ships for the relevant TGA.TX textures, so it doesn't matter at all where you put your textures while working on the model.

That's very liberating. I'd be lying if I said I completely understand how that works, but I'm guessing the model has that metadata attached at some point in the export process?

Thanks (again) for for all the great advice! :bow

I see, and that's good advice for me with this actually as I was planning on using three textures in tandem on my boiler (wooden cladding/whistle brass/iron belts)...I'll have to do a custom map for that then or even add brass by itself as a new texture, as I couldn't find a suitable existing one and I'll almost definitely need it for future models ie ships wheels, gun tracks, fixtures and fittings.
What I meant by "component" was "separate mesh". So, for instance, if you want some parts to use a brass texture, just select all brass parts and/or faces and combine them into a separate mesh.

That's very liberating. I'd be lying if I said I completely understand how that works, but I'm guessing the model has that metadata attached at some point in the export process?
All the ships store is the name of the textures and which components they're assigned to. Then the game engine searches the relevant folder to find the textures and apply them in-game.

Thanks! That makes perfect sense. My whistles are already a single mesh so that should be easy enough then.

As a side note, the existing textures are working wonders for me so far, especially the metals.
Wood is going to need a bit more attention I think, especially on the lofted deck, but let's hope I only need to add one or two textures of my own, afterall :thumbs1

Would anyone have a problem if I modified the following three textures and re-added them as new ones? I don't know if there's any kind of copyright on them so thought I'd best ask...:shrug

weed: To try and replicate the rust/dirt I already have, so I may not need to rely on a custom hull map which, as we discussed above, may be for the best.

plank_white: For use on my outer hull. But it's a little too 'perfect', I'd like to 'weather' it up a bit and also add the name 'Dundas' to a version, for use on my stern; in-keeping with the historical ship's paintwork.

hatch: I'd like to use this but make it metallic as the hatches are covering the beam engine, and the current wood texture doesn't quite look right in that context...

If I can do this, it'd mean my hull is a little more in-keeping. It'd also be very reusable (with the obvious exception of painted stern) on future steamers or possibly even sail ships. ;)

Just remember to keep the name the same size as the original, and also that there is not another texture already using your new name.

Length of the name is only important when HEX editing.
But that shouldn't apply here.

An update.

I havn't had much time to work on this the last 4 or 5 days, so this is how I left it last: (with gratuitous water and lighting :cheeky)

Screen Shot 2016-01-25 at 20.10.12.jpgScreen Shot 2016-01-25 at 20.15.30.jpg

Boiler, keel and Rudders still need texturing and the model as a whole needs a few points tweaked etc. But I'm confident I can have this pretty much done by the end of the week. Thanks @Armada for your suggestions; they've worked well :onya The only unique textures are the Hull map and Brass for the whistle.

I thought I'd have a go at getting this done while I have a few hours free. However, I think I've made a worrying revelation.

On the boiler (below), I'm using two existing textures; one for the wood, the other for the iron straps. Is the engine going to understand the polygon selection tag I used to do this? It's not a massive issue if not as the boiler and keel are the only things I've done this on.

Screen Shot 2016-01-25 at 21.59.33.jpg

I'm also concerned that all my Texture tags have erroneous names assigned to the materials..I'm guessing I'll need to reassign the original names before the engine will use them?

Thanks Pieter :onya Those pictures are already out of date as I've just done the keel and rudders. Having a few concerns with the boiler (see above) but for the most part I think she's seaworthy and ready for trials!

On the boiler (below), I'm using two existing textures; one for the wood, the other for the iron straps. Is the engine going to understand the polygon selection tag I used to do this? It's not a massive issue if not as the boiler and keel are the only things I've done this on.
Did you assign two materials to different faces of the same mesh? Unfortunately, I don't think the engine will recognise that. It needs to be one material per mesh, so you'll need to split the boiler into two parts.

I'm also concerned that all my Texture tags have erroneous names assigned to the materials..I'm guessing I'll need to reassign the original names before the engine will use them?
I don't think the material names actually matter. So long as you don't change the converted TGA textures' names, the model should pick up the corresponding TGA.TX version in the game.

Did you assign two materials to different faces of the same mesh? Unfortunately, I don't think the engine will recognise that. It needs to be one material per mesh, so you'll need to split the boiler into two parts.

Thanks for the heads up. No harm done, I'll just make the straps and ends a separate object then cover them in iron, and the boiler the wood.

I don't think the material names actually matter. So long as you don't change the converted TGA textures' names, the model should pick up the corresponding TGA.TX version in the game.

I did try changing a random material's name yesterday and the object still recognised it as being the correct one, so the UV tag must see the file name as opposed to the assigned name. That's a relief!

I think she's pretty much ready for sea trials now. I'll start boning up on my Maya skills and see if I can get it into a useable format for the game. Though if any of your skilled eyes here can see any outstanding issues, I'm all eyes/ears :doff

EDIT: Before anyone mentions it, I'm aware she still needs a tiller wheel just fore of the boiler. Will probably do that once it's in Maya as I'm getting a little concerned by the 34k tri count..
Screen Shot 2016-01-27 at 13.49.11.jpg Screen Shot 2016-01-27 at 13.48.48.jpg Screen Shot 2016-01-27 at 13.48.24.jpg Screen Shot 2016-01-27 at 13.48.06.jpg Screen Shot 2016-01-27 at 13.47.31.jpg

Last edited:
She looks pretty nice. But is that a hole between those two rudders?

Indeed it is, that was one of the harder things to get right with hull...had to be just big enough for the flow of water through the paddle but just small enough to not look like a mistake! :D

Screen Shot 2016-01-27 at 14.04.11.jpg

I'm not sure what more I can do for that bit as it's historically accurate for it to be that open from what I can tell (though I'm glad to have noticed the missing texture! :eek:)

Screen Shot 2016-01-27 at 14.07.17.jpg

I don't think it'll show too much anyway, no?

Back