• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Spirit of Sail kickstarter now live

Tom Stevenson

Landlubber
Staff member
Ahoy!

The kickstarter campaign for Spirit of Sail went live today, for those who have been tracking the project I'm sure you already have some idea what the games all about. If you don't then please see our website for more information.

SoS Kickstarter campaign
SoS Website

We can't take the game to the next stage of development without your help, so please pass the word around if you are interested!

Thanks.

For what reason in the world people go into multiplayer things is beyond me.
Isn't that a bit inconsiderate? Multiplayer has its perks, and so does single-player. A lot of people find multiplayer extremely enjoyable, myself included (depends on the game, of course).

Thanks for your support.

As regards multiplayer, its whatever you prefer. Single player games tend to have a set story that you persue and discover, explore the gameworld, complete and at some point the game finishes. SoS is designed as an open ended game where a player can create their own story and this story is ongoing, so it really depends on what you like.

Multiplayer doesn't mean a game is just a PvP arena, but it geneally does mean you'll be competing against and/or working with other players. We're trying as best we can to accomodate for players who don't want to get too deep into inter-player interaction and the best archetype in SoS for that is the explorer, as the very nature of the role means you'll be sailing off far away from known and settled locations looking for new things. Of course at some point you'll have to come back to the settled areas to refit, resupply and to profit from you discoveries.

The game doesn't follow an "MMO" design though, fortunes can be lost as well as made, ships can get sunk, skilled characters can die, the idea is that no one should ever get so powerful that they are untouchable.

I quite like the idea of playing like an "explorer". All seafaring style games I have seen so far are always set after the Caribbean has been settled.
But what would it be like to play as a Columbus-style character instead? And then see the Caribbean develop after your discoveries and the like.
Some definite potential there too. :yes

well that options cetainly going to be there! Gameplay wise its not set in concrete yet but our initial outline is that to attempt to explore a new area you will be moved to a new zone that may or may not contain something new, as our areas are of a 5km radius (78.5 km square) and you may be looking for a very small island you will need to loook for changes in the sea state, clouds or signs of animals to pinpoint them - or more likely make sure you have focused the development of your officers to finding those things. The option may also exist in time to navigate rivers such as the Orinoco and Amazon, though by our point in time those areas are explored and technically controlled by the Spanish empire but far from settled.

They're focusing on the engine and gameplay elements at the moment; don't think they've started on lots of ship modeling just yet. :no

I hope they can introduce in the engine to be trown in the sea water or to jump off a plank... would be cool for such a game.

If you're referring to the frequent ship-jumping that is apparently common in AC 4, personally I'd much rather see some jolly boats being used for that purpose.
Whoever goes ashore by jumping off his ship? Not the most comfortable way, I'm sure. o_O

Cheers Gentlemen!

Good luck with that!

As for multiplayer ... I think this is because a human opponent is much more cunning, thinking and challenging than any AI. A human will try to fool you and possibly succeed with that, a AI will never try. AIs always do the same mistakes again and again and again. A human - well, at least the clever ones - never will. They learn.

Unfortunately, most multiplayer based games are just about being quick with a mouse, not about tactic or thinking. Also, this genre seems to attract strange characters.
Much depends on the quality of the community you'll be able to create.

If you're referring to the frequent ship-jumping that is apparently common in AC 4, personally I'd much rather see some jolly boats being used for that purpose.
Whoever goes ashore by jumping off his ship? Not the most comfortable way, I'm sure. o_O

Actually no. Meant it like taking a bath ... or swimming with the fish underwater among the corals. You could do that in Far Cry 1 and it was splendid. For a pirate game... can be taken as feeling the sea to the fullest. And why not while doing this, come upon something, a chest, lost cannon, even quests maybe directed at there...

Feel free to use any of the references I posted in this thread for Hearts of Oak (unless that's not allowed).

Seeing as there are player merchants selling goods, could there be player manufacturers making said goods? I would be keen on running a sugar plantation and maybe having new players be "indentured servants" for maybe a week or so, then paying said servant a bit of freedom money so he or she can start sailing.

Last edited:
Back