• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

sounds in AoP

skipper.fred

Landlubber
I've heard that many people have problems with sounds in game - I love PotC music and generally SuperMod is great thing from this angle for me, but it's pretty annoying when I hear 'buzzzing' sound, some noises and sough in the background, moreover even dialoges are also unclear...

I couldn't find any soulution during reading your posts - maybe someone could tell me what I should do?

thanks in advance.

Well I've updated my drivers for audigy 2 ZS and downloaded the microsoft "audio" windows XP compatibility patch
but nothing has changed whatsover in game. When the ship is sailing along, all I hear is the flap of rigging and nothing else. I rarely ever hear cannon splashes near me, and during battle all I hear is my own guns firing.

Is this the norm for the game? It runs with no probs graphically, but it seems to be missing alot of sounds when in sea mode. Onshore, dialogue and ambient sounds are all good. Worldmapp all I can hear is music ( again is that the norm??)

Any help here would be appreciated IE: Is there a sound init.con file I could maybe edit to increase the sound details??

I have a similar problem where I will hear all of the sounds when I am looking in one direction in 1st person on deck, but then as I turn the mouse / move, the sound cuts out altogether, and stays that way regardless of my orientation in 3rd person.

Well, good news is I solved my own sound issues by editing the "sound_alias" ini. file.
It's located in /Programs/Age of Pirates/Resource/INI/aliases.

What what I wanted to do was to increase the sound of ships sailing through the sea, and stop the "cutting out" of other sound effects. Sometimes I noticed all sounds but the rigging would stop playing, which honestly sucked. This solved this for me, and added alot of fun into the game after I edited the cannon hull and sail impact, splash and miss values.

After making a backup:

To increase the sea ambient sound, find the small section in the sound_alias file named "ship_water_lugger" which uses the "float_boat_01.wav. All I did was increase the min.and max.distance values (to 65.0 and 190.0) and voila, in game I had full ambient sea sound ( perhaps too much for the size of the ship mind you, but tweaking can be done). For the other ships missing in the section, simply copy and paste the stats, and replace the name of the ship thats next ( brig, caravel etc).

For the loss of cannon sounds in battle, same thing, scroll down towards the bottom , and change the min and max values for the shot types, shot impact sounds, misses and splashes ( flyballs), fires, you name it.
(for those i increased everything substantially, and after testing a few hours of battles, have had no probs on my machine.

As for the 1st person view and loss of sounds after movement, thats something I have no idea about. It happens all the time, but i noticed if you keep your crosshair faced at a 90 degree angle outwards, you can then use your scope to look around freely without any sound loss.

Hopefully this helps someone in the community.

<!--quoteo(post=168613:date=Oct 23 2006, 07:26 PM:name=Capt.Bligh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Capt.Bligh @ Oct 23 2006, 07:26 PM) [snapback]168613[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Well, good news is I solved my own sound issues by editing the "sound_alias" ini. file.

What what I wanted to do was to increase the sound of ships sailing through the sea, and stop the "cutting out" of other sound effects. Sometimes I noticed all sounds but the rigging would stop playing, which honestly sucked. This solved this for me, and added alot of fun into the game after I edited the cannon hull and sail impact, splash and miss values.

After making a backup:

To increase the sea ambient sound, find the small section in the sound_alias file named "ship_water_lugger" which uses the "float_boat_01.wav. All I did was increase the min.and max.distance values (to 65.0 and 190.0) and voila, in game I had full ambient sea sound ( perhaps too much for the size of the ship mind you, but tweaking can be done). For the other ships missing in the section, simply copy and paste the stats, and replace the name of the ship thats next ( brig, caravel etc).

For the loss of cannon sounds in battle, same thing, scroll down towards the bottom , and change the min and max values for the shot types, shot impact sounds, misses and splashes ( flyballs), fires, you name it.
(for those i increased everything substantially, and after testing a few hours of battles, have had no probs on my machine.

As for the 1st person view and loss of sounds after movement, thats something I have no idea about. It happens all the time, but i noticed if you keep your crosshair faced at a 90 degree angle outwards, you can then use your scope to look around freely without any sound loss.

<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wow - cool - I can't wait to try this!

<!--quoteo(post=168613:date=Oct 23 2006, 07:26 PM:name=Capt.Bligh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Capt.Bligh @ Oct 23 2006, 07:26 PM) [snapback]168613[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

After making a backup:

<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wow - cool - I can't wait to try this!

I think this may have just worked, or at the very least seems to have improved the sound cut-out dramatically. Thanks so much for this fix!

By the looks of it you can also mute those annoying Tavern sounds like the guy constantly humping the table "Hmmpff-Hmmpff-Hymmpff!"

I probably need to perfect the values, I just went with gut feeling on those. Still even after one pass it seems to have fixed most of the issue. One very useful value for me was the Reload sounds. I set those to 60 - 550 and now the voices don't cut-out at all.

I had actually assumed that it was due to audio channel overload or too many concurrent sound channels as it tends to be worse in huge battles. But now it seems like it was due to too many entities competing for sound attenuation or conflicting with each other.

Back