• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Sneaky Trader mod help, please...

In addition to his visual appearence, the "vagabond / wanderer"-dressed type of person could be added.

Incorrectly worn military emblems, along with emblems from winebottles and institutions of both unknown and obvious origin would decorate that jacket (+hat?) and when he turns its reverse inside out, a bunch of items sewed onto the reverse is revealed (i.e. blade sharpening tools or the trading items you mentioned yourself back then in earlier posts)

He oftens carries and play an instrument, like a harp or harmonica to entertain himself and his crowd of potential customers. There is something evil about this clown pennywise-kind of guy, not noticed by the untrained eye. He would fit the perfect cover as a spy, too.

Thanks for the thoughts, everyone!

He's really meant to be rather cartoonish - although I could go with a more rustic look and be perfectly happy. IIRC, back then we were trying to go for more colorful characters - in both garb and action. My original thought was that he was PotC's version of ridiculous huckster Stan from Monkey Island. See Stan here. We don't have to keep him that way if there's too much objection to it - I just figured the more outlandish the better. The skins are pretty rough as back then I was kinda just fooling around. I wanted SOMETHING on him when I tested him, something that didn't look like Searcher. Yeah, he certainly could use a good brush up. And maybe some (patched) bullet holes in the back of the jacket! xD:

You have to know, of course, that I toned him down quite a bit -
stan1.jpg
shisterical.gif

He's just missing the sombrero to be Stan, LOL!

And Peter, my goodness, the spy idea is great - he could make all sorts of wild claims you just wouldn't believe... And then later on down the line some governor or a shopkeeper or the local militia leader might just casually mention that they "...have a man..." on whatever island who is a spy... You'll recognize him immediately, he's got this insanely colorful coat he wears. xD:

Here's a setup of the items I initially made up for him:
items_st.jpg

And I had four pieces of a map - I think it was taken from a real (old) map of Antigua - you might get one piece from him somewhere, and a different piece somewhere else, later you might find him trying to sell you the same piece again, and you might have to go on a real scavenger hunt to find the rest of the map...

There are tons of possibilities. :cheeky

Cool, cool, very cool.

If he looks bright and colourful, at least he'll stand out in a crowd, eh? :cheeky

I think those four pieces might already be in the Build MOd files in items11.tga.tx;
we found them at some point and put them to use in the Jack Sparrow storyline.

We did already put a lockpick item in the game, which work as well:
If equipped, it'll allow you to open chests without risk of cutting yourself or setting off booby traps.
However, the lockpick might break and get stuck in the lock, after which you can't open that chest for a while at all.
For whatever strange reason, I haven't been seeing the thing show up in the game, but it IS there. :wacko:

Cat, I ran across another one of your old posts while I was searching for something else(Seems to be the only way to find anything around here! xD: ) and downloaded your ST mod from THERE! I'm Having a look through it now, just wondering if you had updated anything since then(other than the pic above), or is that pretty much where you stand now?

I wish I knew what I was doing, NK's parrot would be friggen awesome! :woot

Ah that PARROT, yes, it would be QUITE awesome. :yoho I wish we'd been able to finish it. It was in there because IIRC Nathan had lost his files in a crash ??? Anyhow, it was passed to me to do something with (not sure why he thought *I* could do something with it), so it's out there for others to pick up if they so desire. Just leave credit where credit is due.

Actually even if we can't animate the little guy, we could always have him sitting somewhere making pithy comments. :yoho xD:

I hadn't taken the ST mod any further than what you have there, Thagarr.

In looking at the date of that posting, I think back to what was happening in my life at the time. It suddenly turned very odd, and was very odd for several years. :ko All I care to say about it is that PIRATES ARE BETTER THAN NINJAS!!!

ninjas_lose.jpg

(in other words, I WON!)
slapb.gif

Whatever the reason mate, it's great to have you back! I was gone for a couple of years myself, so I do understand how sometimes things get in the way.

I haven't had time yet to really take a good look at your code, but I have glanced through it a bit, I got a bit distracted with the parrot! xD:
I am on vacation for another week yet, so hopefully I can try it out in game. I'm still not convinced I am gonna to be much help, but I'll give it a go. :dance

I'm glad that parrot is in there. I was trying to skin him and matching him to (I believe it was) a Sun Conure was fun. Not sure I finished him up well, that was another project that got lost when I was beset upon by some ninjas... :rolleyes:

A talking parrot who knows where the treasure is stashed might be a fun storyline... Hmmm... And has anyone tried to do a map tattoo on someone's head? xD:

If you can convince a character modeler (Damski), maybe he can stick the parrot on a character's shoulder.
That would make for quite some fun character models, even if the parrot wouldn't be functional.
You can always add the parrot-y-ness in the dialog with that character.

If you can convince a character modeler (Damski), maybe he can stick the pirate on a character's shoulder.
That would make for quite some fun character models, even if the pirate wouldn't be functional.
You can always add the parrot-y-ness in the dialog with that character.
I meet talking pirates all the time in here, but never seen one sitting on the shoulder of a parrot before!
razz.gif

Hehe sorry Pieter, I just had to...
icon_wink.gif

Back