• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Sneaky Trader mod help, please...

What went wrong was, IIRC, some part of what I did, simply changing an image's filename, riddled the game with errors and it wouldn't start. Then after I changed it back (it was just the smoke I changed, like out of chimneys), the chimney smoke never looked right again. Like they'd come out as little squares instead of smoke.

How would I approximate a model of a hookah? Something with a bottle or two, maybe stacked, I guess...

I'll try out your idea, thanks.

Well, you just want a static mesh, right?
So just find one that looks nice (or make one), and we'll import it.

Re: smoke. Hmm, maybe when you converted to TGA.TX the alpha channel got screwed up? What DXT level did you choose? DXT3 or 5 is IIRC required for alphas.

hm, alphas and so on... outside my realm of knowledge on image editing, I fear. I still can't make only part of an image transparent, like with torn sails, or, as I like to picture, giving some characters more `ragged-looking` clothes (holes in the fringe of a girl's dress, for instance, so her poor feet show through) or transparent (missing) limbs...

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->so her poor feet show through<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
There's only one girl that even *has* feet..
But altering a model by making part of it transparent wood indeed by cool. Didn't you say you did it with a shio that you made transparent except for one cannon?

There're also the priests, or at least the really fat one. I had plans for that bugger... ghastly plans.

oh yeah, I'd forgotten about that ship. It was wasteful really... I wanted one cannon, so I took the whole deck and made everything invisible save for the two rows of cannons, then arranged them as I wanted in a small room. The most practical was making a wooden jungle signpost invisible.

Alpha channel is a fancy way of talking about the transparency control. I.e. there are the R, G, and B channels (which control `0-255` the amount of that color at a pixel) and the A channel (which `0-255` controls how opaque that pixel is).
My guess is that the new smoke texture you created either didn't have a proper alpha channel, or it didn't get converted (perhaps by being set to DXT1 or DXT3 with 1bit alpha?).

I found with Brin that even though I added an alpha channel to his coat and feather (and they worked fine in the GM Viewer) in tha game they were not transparent.

Talking about feathers (e.g. on the hats) - they must have transparanecy, or how can they look like feathers at all ?

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Speaking of toys and evil genius, here is my latest SWAK invention: monkeybait.

" Akellani witchdoctors filled this jar with fermented tropical fruits and herbs. If you break it the jar the emenating smell will lure the ever present junglemonkeys out of their hidingplaces, and the alcohol in the fermented fruits will send them on a rampage. Great for creating diversions. "<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

ME WANTS! that is just hilarious. Some goes with all the stuff Alan_Smithee made!

so we're on a sudden mod-searching rampage? it sure sounds funny. and just as risky for the user as for the intended victim.

Catalina actually uploaded her old WIP files. Would anybody be willing to see about fixing and finishing her work so that we might include it in the Build?

Hi, now that I am determined to be back here on a more semi-regular basis (never commit, says this happily single gal)(LOL!), I have been conversing with Thagarr about reviving this mod and making it work - with old ideas and new. I am not sure my old files are still somewhere on the server here, but I know I can dig them up.

Thagarr, Pieter, and I were talking on THIS thread, and Pieter suggested we continue here which is a great idea since there are so many deliciously evil thoughts here that we can expand upon...

SO CALLING ALL EVIL GENIUSES... xD: We would appreciate any input that would help get this mod working and into the Build.
doffb.gif
THANKS! :cheeky

Here are some pix to start you folks off:

sneaky3.jpg

I started this guy on the original "Searcher" NPC and was trying to make a "slick salesman" type such as Stan in the "Monkey Island" series of games. xD: Odd or unusual items of dubious value and even more dubious origin for sale at bargain prices that may be WONDERFUL or may be absolute junk... Handsome and popular with the ladies, the Sneaky Trader is the epitome of the English Tinker of lore - hated by the men he bilks and loved by the women he... Well... Heh... :woot ;)

sneaky2.jpg

As you meet him first he will look relatively normal but as you encounter him in later times he will begin to look progressively worse... OR you may find him healed and well and sporting a new scar or a broken nose or maybe even missing an eye! But the next time you see him he may have both eyes back... Or his hair will be a different color - or his eyes... Are you seeing things? Is it the same guy or (as he claims) his cousin of totally outrageous exploits but that's not HIM, he's never (no never!) run afoul of the law... Not on paper, anyhow! :d:

sneaky4.jpg

And then there's the unusual coat... It gets patched and worn and torn and grubby, and so does our ST...

That's it for now, wish some of the other old-timers who previously have contributed to this would drop back in - CCC and Alan and Nathan and Inez... Oh, we've had some truly "evil" geniuses here... :cry However I am reasonably certain there are others here now who would enjoy digging into what ultimately might be a really fun mod and quest-giver for PotC and beyond...

Thanks for your indulgence.
doffb.gif

Your characters color scheme is to ... ehm... clean... colors are to bright... To cartoonish...

Try combine clothes with linen textures... And try to get rid of those black lines, that supose to me contours...

If I understand correctly, originally you had some difficulties getting the itemtrade interface to do what you want.
So my recommendation would be to start simple and handle all sales through simple dialog at first.

Alan Smithee, Ines Diaz and Nathan Kell have dropped by the forum occasionally, but didn't really stick around.
We haven't heard from Couchcaptain Charles in a LONG time. I hope some day we will... :?

Great pics Cat! I think he could use some of those fancy port and starboard socks! :cheeky

Back