• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Skull and bones to have a " historical " setting?

But i doubt good SP's will just vanish, they just get to be far in between.

Worth noting that SP is still widely popular among successful indie games. It's only the big heads (publishers/studios) that refuse to invest in it. On the rare occasion that they do create/publish such a game, they channel it through DRM-encumbered portals such as Steam, where they still have more or less absolute control over the product and its users.

This is one of the reasons I refuse to "buy" (more like rent myself out to) any Steam game. The problem is that these big heads are forcing you to use such services if you wish to stay in touch with the latest in gaming -- which is why I've fallen out with the latest in big-budget gaming, and I'm happy staying a decade behind. There is much creativity and innovation in the indie scene as well -- in most ways probably more, actually!

I'm hoping to get into the beta whenever that is, but for myself I really hope it's not a dull Assasins creed clone. Thought those games were rather dull.

Worth noting that SP is still widely popular among successful indie games. It's only the big heads (publishers/studios) that refuse to invest in it. On the rare occasion that they do create/publish such a game, they channel it through DRM-encumbered portals such as Steam, where they still have more or less absolute control over the product and its users.

This is one of the reasons I refuse to "buy" (more like rent myself out to) any Steam game. The problem is that these big heads are forcing you to use such services if you wish to stay in touch with the latest in gaming -- which is why I've fallen out with the latest in big-budget gaming, and I'm happy staying a decade behind. There is much creativity and innovation in the indie scene as well -- in most ways probably more, actually!

Thankfully so yes, CD Project Red and the latest success of God of War clearly prove SP's are well and healthy. But there have been equally some fall out's over the year's, BioWare and they Mass Effect series suffered a lot from lack of vision and a growing push to monetize and control they SP series, especially since they were bought of by EA, the inclusion of loot boxes in all these stand alone SP titles really gets odd over the year's.

On a funny note, the last Assassin's Creed Origins shipped with a bundle of 3 DRM's and it didn't last long un-cracked, even though people were noticing decreases in CPU performance pointing to the DRM's as the issue.

Those big-budget titles are essentially the so called triple AAA segment and they are very beloved by the big companies. Its as you say, the big push for corporate products in the gaming industry, thankfully they become stale in innovation and become clones of each other, hopefully this will bring about an increase in indie studios games. There have been recently some indie dever's arguing for a greater risk taking by these satellite small studios to fill the growing void left by the triple AAA's.

My self, i couldn't really make sense of all the new trends in gaming, over the year's I've fallen out as well. Certainly steam is a very strange and odd service for me, it feels like an hive of sorts. Sometimes I play a few recent games but its a trickle of what comes out every year, my most memorable gaming experience in the last five year's was The Witcher 3, for the remarkable crafting it shows.

I'm hoping to get into the beta whenever that is, but for myself I really hope it's not a dull Assasins creed clone. Thought those games were rather dull.

I hope you can grow to enjoy it, still i'm not sure it won't become as dull as those Assassins Creed games. It certainly seems very simplistic and arcady like.

I expect it will be even more dull. After all, in Assassin's Creed 4 you could at least get off the ship and do other things.

We actually slowed development on Tides of War simply because the majority of players WANTED that dull and repetitive gameplay and we just didn't want to dilute our vision to that simpler gameplay.

Thankfully so yes, CD Project Red and the latest success of God of War clearly prove SP's are well and healthy. But there have been equally some fall out's over the year's, BioWare and they Mass Effect series suffered a lot from lack of vision and a growing push to monetize and control they SP series, especially since they were bought of by EA, the inclusion of loot boxes in all these stand alone SP titles really gets odd over the year's.

On a funny note, the last Assassin's Creed Origins shipped with a bundle of 3 DRM's and it didn't last long un-cracked, even though people were noticing decreases in CPU performance pointing to the DRM's as the issue.

Those big-budget titles are essentially the so called triple AAA segment and they are very beloved by the big companies. Its as you say, the big push for corporate products in the gaming industry, thankfully they become stale in innovation and become clones of each other, hopefully this will bring about an increase in indie studios games. There have been recently some indie dever's arguing for a greater risk taking by these satellite small studios to fill the growing void left by the triple AAA's.

My self, i couldn't really make sense of all the new trends in gaming, over the year's I've fallen out as well. Certainly steam is a very strange and odd service for me, it feels like an hive of sorts. Sometimes I play a few recent games but its a trickle of what comes out every year, my most memorable gaming experience in the last five year's was The Witcher 3, for the remarkable crafting it shows.

I hope you can grow to enjoy it, still i'm not sure it won't become as dull as those Assassins Creed games. It certainly seems very simplistic and arcady like.

I certainly don't want another WOWS for example, but they have made so many AC games there really is no point in making another with a different name. I would really love it if they fixed the trainwreck that Naval Action has become. I really enjoyed the OW, hunting down other ships, intercepting fleets and the large scale battles, trying to evade other ships etc. That game did not need the land based play but they have turned it into more about Econ and PVE so it's no longer enjoyable.

...the majority of players WANTED that dull and repetitive gameplay...

Repetitive I don't have a problem with. Most successful gameplays involve some sort of repetition/rhythm. Dull is another thing, on the other hand. Gameplay should remain innovative and engaging in a well-designed video game.

The original, old, 2D Prince of Persia -- I don't know how many people here still remember that one -- is a perfect example of that balance, innovation and immersive repetition/rhythm in gameplay, while even managing to tell a simple but engaging and satisfying story in the process.

In many ways it set the standard for both action gameplay and storytelling in games today. It inspired the very first Tomb Raider, and through it the evolution of the 3D action platformer.

Last edited:
I do doubt though that we will ever see a AAA-SP-pirate-game which will ever have the sheer content and replayability like PotC with the New Horizons-Mod in our lifetime.

Actually pretty sad though, I think many would buy such a game instantly.

I feel its been possible for some year's now, but i agree, big AAA's won't go for it, not the big studios anyway. This game in particular is missing the mark very obviously, it encompasses the action combat at sea, while neglecting the SP side and its a shame.

As for Assassin Creed's games, they are a series now, i only mention them as an example of what at least Ubisoft knows how to do with them in a rich SP RPG game.

Perhaps a game of this short should be developed encompassing more then just piracy, maybe a story round exploration that included sea simulation, sailing and the other components of a SP RPG, as in CT, COAS and PotC, a new IP all together.

Perhaps a game of this short should be developed encompassing more then just piracy, maybe a story round exploration that included sea simulation, sailing and the other components of a SP RPG, as in CT, COAS and PotC, a new IP all together.
Could make for a brilliant game.
The potential is there, that's for sure!

Could make for a brilliant game.
The potential is there, that's for sure!

Yes, but as said, most developers fail.

I think it's not that hard to make a good pirate-game (Or just a game where you start out as a nobody with a small boat and have to work your way up to the mightiest ship), and it makes my blood boil that many think of AC4: Black Flag as how such a game should be.
Which I personally consider to be a horrible example for pirate-games.

PotC would be perfect if it wasn't a buggy mess with bugs, that can force you to start a new game.

I think it's not that hard to make a good pirate-game
rotflshmsfoaidmt-rolling-on-the-floor-laughing-so-hard-i-dropped-my-taco-ha-ha-funny-p-600-x-564.jpg

Care to elaborate instead of just posting a picture which contributes nothing?

Making any game is an involved, long, and arduous process, especially when trying to make a good game that will cater to a lot of people's expectations/needs. Making a pirate game is that much harder because of the wide range between fantasy (romantic lore) and reality that being a "pirate" can mean for people -- not to mention that you may want to cater to those who love a seafaring adventure but do not necessarily like the path of piracy, as well.

Last edited:
Care to elaborate instead of just posting a picture which contributes nothing?
I could. And I will. But you're not going to like it.
That's why I didn't bother at first.

As @Cerez and @LarryHookins already said very well, making any game isn't even remotely easy and making a pirate game definitely isn't.
I know that better than most, since I've been directly involved with doing exactly that since 2004.
So while you may think that it isn't hard, I'm sorry to say that is very untrue.

On the other hand, as far as I can tell from your posts, your own standards are impossibly high.
The end result is that you're likely never going to get what you want.
And chances are you'll continue to complain about it, which can only discourage developers here who would want to try to give you what you want.

In other words: you're setting yourself (and others) up for perpetual disappointment.
Seems like a shame to me... :shrug

Creating something half-decent that works, trying, is worth a hundred times more than dreaming about perfection and not crafting anything.

"Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do." ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
That is SO UN-FRIGGIN'-BELIEVABLY TRUE!!!
I wished more people would realise that. Not just here on the forum, but in the world at large.
That would be such a tremendous huge help to "getting stuff done"! :shock

I know game development itself is hard as hell, thank you. ;)

Because I think there has to be a reason why only indie-developers attempt it, aside from the whole "SP-games can't be controlled by DRM"-argument. And we have gorgeous games like Tempest, Blackwake and Naval Action, while the latter seems to be screw itself over by questionable development-decisions.
All done by small teams.

So I'm sure if a large studio works on one without trying to shoehorn tons of MTA's, ludicrous grinding-material and multiplayer into it, it can be great. Vendetta: Curse of Raven's Cry at least was a very good shot at it.
Otherwise Skulls & Bones would come very close to it, but of course muh, multiplayer or go home.
But I'm afraid something like this will never happen, due to corporate decisions.

What I'm trying to say:
There are great pirate-games out there. But most of them hinder themselves with unlucky decisions and ballast, sadly. And why none of those larger studios has attempted to create a Sea Dogs/Age of Pirates-sequel, is a mystery to me - aside from not having the rights for it, of course.

Last edited:
Back