• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Discussion Silver cargo cartagena

Sinbad the Sailor

Sailor Apprentice
I haven't seen this quest mentioned anywhere else on the forum. Is it a new addition? In any case, I loved this quest. It was very well done.
ps: one of the spanish captains near the end of the quest had the COAS outfit. can I get this outfit too?

I never got round to writing a walkthrough for this quest - something I'll need to do some time... The quest is indeed given by a governor's daughter or niece after you've either married her or charmed her, then talked to her a few times. It's inspired by the old Sid Meier game "Pirates" (as, indeed, is the whole idea of charming or marrying governors' nieces or daughters), in which she'd tell you the location of the treasure fleet and silver train.

Two of the captains use the outfits "Espinosa" and "9JdSpa", while the other three use random Spanish captain outfits chosen by the same system as would be used for any random Spanish captain of a random ship. "Espinosa" is probably the CoAS outfit and should be available from Spanish tailors. Look for the tailor offering a suit described as "Spanish grandee in the past, he was forced to leave the country. Who knows, why... Hates englishmen and... friends betrayers."

The same could be said for a lot of quests - the cash rewards aren't all that high compared to what you earn by regular gameplay.

The requirement to woo a governor's relative is, in fact, the entire reason for this quest's existence! The whole idea of either marrying or charming a governor's niece or daughter is borrowed from a much older game, Sid Meier's "Pirates". In that, once you'd either charmed or married a niece or daughter, she would regularly tell you the current locations of the treasure fleet and silver train. Rather than try to match this, I decided to write a one-off sidequest to get the silver train.

I might increase the amount of looted silver, though. Never mind that you need to be fairly advanced to be introduced to a governor's relative; you're going to face a couple of squads of soldiers, all armed with muskets, so you'd better be good at melee combat! So I probably don't need to worry about giving excessively high amounts of loot to a low level player character.

Having said that - where did you sell the silver? Find somewhere where silver is an import (check the "Colonies" tab of the F2 interface) and you'll get a better price than if you sell it where it is an export. Having the maximum "Commerce" skill plus all the commerce perks, either on your own character or your quartermaster, should also help.

Back