• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Side Quest - Church Protection (Stuck)

Spicy Sailor

Powder Monkey
I went to the church and i made a small gift of money to the church. A side quest appeared and i took it. I needed to take a blue cross (item) to the church. I took it and the monk told gave me a telescope and to continue the quest, it says i must find some exorcist in Barbados in Bridgetown but with no further info. I searched everywhere in Bridgetown with no luck. In the maltese abey and the crypt there are only hordes of monks-skeletons. I can't find this exorcist person to continue my quest. Any help?

From the Wiki entry on "Church Protection":
Use the Rear entrance to the Maltese Abbey.

Somewhere in there you will find a body with a book and a gun.

Go back to the church and ask about these items.
I've never tried this quest myself, though, so I can't say where this rear entrance is, or whether there is indeed a body with a book and gun.

Looking at the location definition for the Abbey, the book and gun should be somewhere in the crypt, which is the area that looks like the labyrinth in the temple on Cozumel.

I can't say where this rear entrance is
It's in the Redmond(Jamaica)-looking section of town.

or whether there is indeed a body with a book and gun
There definitely was last time I checked. I was heavily involved with that sidequest at the time.
Probably one of the last active modding things I did. So I see no reason why it shouldn't work anymore.

Perhaps @Jack Rackham can mention something about the exact location?
While it was @Levis' quest, he is the one who added the corpse.

From the location called "Greenford_suburb" (Redmond town part with a church) enter the church.
1.jpg
In the church the entrance to the crypt is very invisible:
2.jpg
In the crypt, you arrive at A and the gun, body and book are at B. You have to find another exit. One of the green balls.
3.jpg
There is a back door to the "Greenfod_M_undercroft" which leads to the crypt too but didn't need it.
4.jpg

Maybe something visible in the floor of the church would be a little help?

The trapdoor in the church is one of several ways into the crypt. You can also get there from the dungeon in Speightstown. The "official" way, though, is through the back door and "Greenford_M_undercroft" - that's the route described in the Wiki.

Maybe something visible in the floor of the church would be a little help?
Hmm... If you can think of something that fits with the story around the Abbey, then that might actually make quite a bit of sense. :onya

The "official" way, though, is through the back door and "Greenford_M_undercroft" - that's the route described in the Wiki.
If anything, based on the Abbey intentions, I'd think the other way should be the "official" one as that contains a lot of explanatory dialog for why that location exists and what it is.

Oh, so i need to go down to that crypt and find a body to loot. Yeah i found him through Speightstown's dungeon a month ago. I found indeed an item on him but i tossed it XD.
This is a bit misleading because you end up searching for a treasure hidden item in a dungeon instead of an npc exorcist living in Bridgetown

Uqn96fT.jpg

The trapdoor between the 2 candles stands is not showing though. I just teleport if i walk over there

eIJQo7i.jpg

RGzUpTu.jpg

Yeah i found it. The book of exorcism and a long rifle.

Last edited:
So this mission gives you this unique weapon:
Long Rifle with scope, stats: 150-250 dmg 30s reload 80% accuracy

Compared to the regular
Long Rifle, stats : 150-250dmg 35s reload 120% accuracy

So its -5s reload for -40 accuracy (if that 120% even makes sense)

I don't know if it's a bug or not, but when i equip it and i pull my sword out, it automatically puts me in "manual aim mode"
I can only sword fight after i fire while it still reloads. It looks like i will stick with the Long Rifle

So this mission gives you this unique weapon:
Long Rifle with scope, stats: 150-250 dmg 30s reload 80% accuracy

Compared to the regular
Long Rifle, stats : 150-250dmg 35s reload 120% accuracy

So its -5s reload for -40 accuracy (if that 120% even makes sense)

I don't know if it's a bug or not, but when i equip it and i pull my sword out, it automatically puts me in "manual aim mode"
I can only sword fight after i fire while it still reloads. It looks like i will stick with the Long Rifle
Isn't that one used for sniping? I'll have that with me for long distance shots but then again, it's not like we do a lot of assassination scenes/quest in this game just mostly close combats.

Isn't that one used for sniping? I'll have that with me for long distance shots but then again, it's not like we do a lot of assassination scenes/quest in this game just mostly close combats.

Well you can just hold it in your inventory and Equip it only if you want to snipe something. But you can also do that with the Long Rifle (with manual aim) which has better stats so it doesn't matter much. I guess this is good for early eras. I don't know if you can find Long Rifles in stores in eras other than Napoleonic, but if you can't then it's a real deal.

If this is ok I'll add a hatch in the crypts ceiling as well.
Done.
I moved the emerge locator in the crypt (reload1) up so the player actually is falling down a little. It's not used as an exit anyway.
crypt hatch.jpg

I moved the emerge locator in the crypt (reload1) up so the player actually is falling down a little.
Ha! Clever!!

That is its exact purpose: sniping.

You cannot snipe with a regular gun unless you've got the ability to let you do so.
With this gun, you can do it without the ability.

But once you do get that ability, I suppose it does get a bit pointless...

Well you can just hold it in your inventory and Equip it only if you want to snipe something. But you can also do that with the Long Rifle (with manual aim) which has better stats so it doesn't matter much. I guess this is good for early eras. I don't know if you can find Long Rifles in stores in eras other than Napoleonic, but if you can't then it's a real deal.
The type of long rifle which you find in the crypt should not be available in stores or as random equipment on enemies. The only one in the game is the one in the crypt.

The rifle which you can find in stores or elsewhere in "Napoleonic" is a different one. This is a fine, realistic model of the British Baker Rifle produced by @Jack Rackham, and if you play the "Hornblower" storyline, you'll meet Richard Sharpe and his Chosen Men who are equipped with it:
Richard Sharpe said:
We don't use muskets. We use rifles. My men are all crack shots. We call them "Chosen Men". They never miss.

@Jack Rackham: if you upload your files with the new hatches, I'll put them into the next update.

I'm not planning on releasing a full update just yet. But if you upload the files for the hatches here, anyone wanting to find the rifle can download the changes and see the hatches before the full update is ready. At a guess, the hatches are probably done with some items on "randitem" locators; if so, I may be able to make a console file to place them for anyone wanting to continue an existing game.

Back