1. GOG.com logo

Thanks to YOUR votes, GOG.com now sells:
    - Sea Dogs - Sea Dogs: Caribbean Tales
    - Sea Dogs: City of Abandoned Ships

Vote now to add Pirates of the Caribbean to the list!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Under the Crossbones Podcast

A Pirate Podcast with Interviews
    Music, Comedy and all things Pirate!

- Episode Guide - About - Subscribe -
    - Twitter - Facebook - iTunes - Android -
    - Youtube - Fill the Coffers -

Dismiss Notice
  3. New Horizons logo

Quick links for PotC: New Horizons
    - Download latest version
    - Wiki - FAQ - Report bugs here
    - ModDB profile

4. GOF logo

Quick links for AoP2: Gentlemen of Fortune 2
    - Downloads and info
    - Historical Immersion Supermod
    - ModDB Profile

Dismiss Notice
New to the forum?
Please take a moment to read our Welcome Message and Forum Rules.

Sid Meier's Pirates!(2004) Now on Gog.com!

Discussion in 'PiratesAhoy! News' started by Thagarr, Mar 29, 2016.

• by Thagarr, Mar 29, 2016 at 3:14 PM
  • Thagarr

Thagarr Pining for the Fjords! Staff Member Administrator Creative Support Storm Modder News Gatherer Hearts of Oak Donator

CNC Machine Operator
    GOG.com Takes on 2K

11 classics including Sid Meier's Pirates!, Railroad Tycoon, and X-COM

Warsaw, March 29 - 2K, the publisher behind many of gaming’s most iconic series, debuts on GOG.com with a curated selection of 11 enduring classics at 50-75% off.

For a limited time, get up to 75% off bundled collections or 50% off individual titles, including:
    Railroad Tycoon Bundle — featuring Sid Meier's Railroads and RailRoad Tycoon 2+3.
    – X-COM Classic Bundle — featuring the incomparable X-COM: UFO Defense, X-COM: Terror from the Deep, X-COM: Apocalypse, X-COM: Interceptor, and X-COM: Enforcer.
    – Freedom Force Pack — including the original Freedom Force & Freedom Force vs. The Third Reich.
    Sid Meier's Pirates! — the remake that turned the gem into a much shinier gem.

"2K is a treasure trove of timeless masterpieces," says Oleg Klapovsky, VP of Business Development and Operations. "We're obviously thrilled about adding these classics to the GOG.com library, and we can't wait to see what this partnership still has in store for everyone."

The 2K launch promotion on GOG.com runs now through April 5, 1:59 PM BST / 5:59 AM PT / 8:59 AM ET.

Flannery, Armada and Pieter Boelen like this.

Comments

Discussion in 'PiratesAhoy! News' started by Thagarr, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Pieter Boelen
    They're doing pretty well on releasing good pirate titles, aren't they? :woot
  2. Thagarr
    Yup, so far they have quite a few classics on GOG! With one notable exception, of course. :wp
    Armada and Pieter Boelen like this.
  3. Pieter Boelen
    I didn't want to say it. :cheeky
  4. GAZ Vodnik
    Yes, it's undeniably a classic, but...

I guess, I'm the only one who thinks that Pirates! gets boring very fast. There is nothing to do besides amassing a huge sum of gold for your rank at the end of the game and it's perfectly possible to get a large warship with all upgrades early.

It was fun for the first hours, but then there weren't many comparable pirate games at that time.

Even the old "Unter Schwarzer Flagge" had more content - though it was very difficult, almost Rogue Like-Level.
  5. Thagarr
    I was never much of a fan of this re-release myself, it pales greatly in comparison to the original, but there are a lot of people that do like it. Ballroom dancing just aint for me.
  6. Pieter Boelen
    While I never played it, I watched a Let's Play! of this on YouTube.
    It definitely has some interesting ideas, but since there is no story and hardly any sidequests, I can definitely imagine it gets repetitive really fast.
    And there isn't any real realism to it either, which could have made things more interesting.

Of course we happily took a whole bunch of ideas from this game and added them to PotC: New Horizons. :cheeky