• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Sid Meier's Pirates!(2004) Now on Gog.com!

Thagarr

Pining for the Fjords!
Creative Support
Storm Modder
Public Relations
Hearts of Oak Donator
Pirate Legend
GOG.com Takes on 2K

11 classics including Sid Meier's Pirates!, Railroad Tycoon, and X-COM

Warsaw, March 29 - 2K, the publisher behind many of gaming’s most iconic series, debuts on GOG.com with a curated selection of 11 enduring classics at 50-75% off.

For a limited time, get up to 75% off bundled collections or 50% off individual titles, including:
Railroad Tycoon Bundle — featuring Sid Meier's Railroads and RailRoad Tycoon 2+3.
– X-COM Classic Bundle — featuring the incomparable X-COM: UFO Defense, X-COM: Terror from the Deep, X-COM: Apocalypse, X-COM: Interceptor, and X-COM: Enforcer.
– Freedom Force Pack — including the original Freedom Force & Freedom Force vs. The Third Reich.
Sid Meier's Pirates! — the remake that turned the gem into a much shinier gem.

"2K is a treasure trove of timeless masterpieces," says Oleg Klapovsky, VP of Business Development and Operations. "We're obviously thrilled about adding these classics to the GOG.com library, and we can't wait to see what this partnership still has in store for everyone."

The 2K launch promotion on GOG.com runs now through April 5, 1:59 PM BST / 5:59 AM PT / 8:59 AM ET.

Attachments

• Sid_Meier's_Pirates!_(2004)_Coverart.png
    Sid_Meier's_Pirates!_(2004)_Coverart.png
    197.2 KB · Views: 44
They're doing pretty well on releasing good pirate titles, aren't they? :woot

Yup, so far they have quite a few classics on GOG! With one notable exception, of course. :wp

Yes, it's undeniably a classic, but...

I guess, I'm the only one who thinks that Pirates! gets boring very fast. There is nothing to do besides amassing a huge sum of gold for your rank at the end of the game and it's perfectly possible to get a large warship with all upgrades early.

It was fun for the first hours, but then there weren't many comparable pirate games at that time.

Even the old "Unter Schwarzer Flagge" had more content - though it was very difficult, almost Rogue Like-Level.

I was never much of a fan of this re-release myself, it pales greatly in comparison to the original, but there are a lot of people that do like it. Ballroom dancing just aint for me.

While I never played it, I watched a Let's Play! of this on YouTube.
It definitely has some interesting ideas, but since there is no story and hardly any sidequests, I can definitely imagine it gets repetitive really fast.
And there isn't any real realism to it either, which could have made things more interesting.

Of course we happily took a whole bunch of ideas from this game and added them to PotC: New Horizons. :cheeky

Back