• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Showcase: Galleon San Martin V2.0

carmenara

Pandora's Kitten
Storm Modder
San Martin is one of the mightiest ships of her time; flagship of the Spanish Armada in the 16th Century. Spanish galleons are ponderous mobile fortresses at best, the largest carrying up to a thousand passengers. They were extremely durable ships; almost impervious to English cannon fire except at point blank range and mounted demi-cannon (32 pounders) themselves. Dedicated warships like San Martin probably could have mounted 42 pounders as well. In any case these nigh unstoppable ships were hampered by Spanish naval doctrine in the Elizabethan era campaigns; Spanish doctrine called for ram and board tactics (due to experience in Mediterranean galley actions; gunners would fire one shot then assume positions in the rigging as boarding marines.

Cramped deck space and obstruction from cargoes on deck meant that running out the heavy cannon for reloading was difficult at best; the English with their far faster and surprisingly agile ships would lure the Spanish to fire ineffectually at range before closing in to hammer the galleons' hulls at point blank range, withdrawing before the Spanish could successfully return fire.

But we are thankful to play a game where none of the above details matter; what you need to know is that this will be Spain's premier battle galleon in the soon to be released New Horizons Beta 1.

The below screenshots feature my retexturing efforts for a heavily weathered look; the fouled bottom is SuperChango's work while everything else is based on details from his original skin which will, god willing, be completed tomorrow depicting a historically accurate and lesser used San Martin.

Attachments

• SMv2fe1.jpg
    SMv2fe1.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 300
  • SMv2iso1.jpg
    SMv2iso1.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 382
  • SMv2iso2.jpg
    SMv2iso2.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 350
  • SMv2iso3.jpg
    SMv2iso3.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 281
:cheeky not yet released and there's a reskin already. Looks nice ! good job !
Now i dont need to worry about the release for the build and focus...

Here's a before & after pic

Attachments

• Galeao Sao Martinho - before after retexture.jpg
    Galeao Sao Martinho - before after retexture.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 332
The non-weathered one didn't make it into the beta I'm afraid, but that does add to the realism. The original skin might be more suited for a desktop model :3

San Martin is early-period only and I doubt she'll be very accessible (which is fine being a rare 'first rate' of the Elizabethan era); she does however easily outgun almost every big ship in her time but is very much slower than newer ships of the line. Or for that matter, lighter English race-built galleons.

They're more or less floating fortresses in a time where land generals still commanded naval fleets.

The non-weathered one didn't make it into the Build because I didn't have the files (and still don't, actually).
Not because of quality issues or anything. Just to clarify. :doff

You do know I'm averse to releasing unfinished things (textures included) yes? Despite what some people claim.

Yes, I do know.
Is the unweathered one finished now as well? She could be added to the Interim fixes then. :yes

Still unfinished Pieter, i'm working on it to look as detailed as the delerict version (the one that shows in the big renders). I'll take my time to finish it, since you'll see it only if you make the quest, in wich you find it delerict and take it to havana's shipyard for restoration... For general gameplay SWS skin looks awesome

Well Im sure it can be put in as a sidequest in the standard storyline to find and restore it, do you actually have a copy of PotC SC?

Standard storyline? Why not make it a generic one?
Would need to be period-dependent though. Would be rather odd in The Corsican. :cheeky

Which reminds me, I'd still like many of the standard storyline sidequests to be moved to the generic quest file,
PROGRAM\QUESTS\quests_common.c so that they're available in ALL storylines.
Otherwise most storylines are rather sidequest-less, which seems a shame to me.

Nope, no PoTC cap... so no build for me... :/
As for the usage, i'll leave that up to you guys... is gonna be a while until i finish writing the quest...

Like good wine, all modding is best savoured in a leisurely manner...

Unless it's a ship I want :)

Hmm... might be worth your while if you could find PotC somewhere.
With the Build, it really isn't bad. To say the least. ;)

Oh i dont doubt the quality of the build Pieter, but i can't find it anywhere here, and i've closed my bank account for i've changed my job, eventually i'll get another international card and, if not too late i'll try ebay...
Anyway at this rate, i suppose we'll have a "Build 1" for coas :woot
Keep it Up People !!! :dance

not too late i'll try ebay...

Hmn... there are other alternatives as well...

Anyways, for future ships I have some UV mapping ideas/observations that will make your beloved more pretty (ie, more texture details). Since I can compress textures to a tiny size there's no real harm adding a bit more stylish details to the big boats.

Though for now my white cross on a golden pedestal is pretty enough. Teach the heathens to wage war against the Spanish Empire :p

Hmn... there are other alternatives as well...
I know there are, but i try not to use them... ;)

I've been thinking about UV mapping and texturing too... i'm learning from HD Decks (AKA Boarding decks) and i'll try to reuse as much as possible the stock HD textures, that way the download size decreases a lot, plus some of those are really, really good...
I'll see what i come out with in the end...

Back