• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Should I mod right from the beginning?

true_blue

Powder Monkey
Hiya, I have never played POTC or AOP2 before.. I played AOP1 and loved it but the bugs were ridiculous..

I have read that the others are the same so my question is; Should I install the horizons mod for POTC and the GOF mod for AOP2 before even starting the game... or should I play them both a little first? Played through the tutorial of each but I hate the controls and interface.. no strafing in POTC makes it terrible. So before I go on in the game I would really like to know if its worth it.. or should I just mod them right now?

Also besides the above mentioned mods, are there any others that make the games less annoying?

Many thanks!!

Ahoy true_blue, welcome aboard mate!

I would recommend playing both unmodded for a bit first. I would recommend not trying to play both games simultaneously, there are some big differences in game play that will really confuse you, namely the way experience is handled is VERY different in both games. I would recommend POTC first, as it is the simplest to learn. The controls for POTC are a bit clunky and take a bit of getting used to. they are improved a bit with the Mod, but I would really recommend starting with the stock game first.

With CoAS, I would emphasize that even more, you really should play that one stock before you add any mods. The Russians did quite a good job with that one, and there is quite a bit to explore. There are some bug fixes and performance tweaks and balance issues that are included the the GOF mod, but there are also some issues that need to be fixed before it reaches it's full potential.

There are other mods for each game, for POTC, there are still some early versions of our mods from years ago that you could take a look at. There are some earlier ones for CoAS too, but you would probably get a better response from those more familiar with them if you posted that question in the CoAS forum. Hope that helps some mate.

Another reason for playing the stock version first is to make sure it works on your PC. If you report that the modded version crashes or does something else nasty, you will probably be asked if the stock version misbehaves as well. :)

Thanks a lot for your replies guys! I really didn't expect such a quick response! :)

I took your advice and am playing POTC now and just finished the tutorial and have explored that dungeon opposite the ship dealer but I am confused.. is it normal to not get much loot from there? I must have killed about 40 skeletons and all I got was an emerald and some ancient incan jugs..

Also I forgot to ask in my original post if there is a mod that disables the change of camera angle when approaching doors? Its got to be one of the most annoying things in both games.. If there was something to add strafing and to change the camera id be very happy!!

Cheers and I am really glad to see that this community is still active.. I haven't been here since I was playing AOP 1, years ago! :)

In the unmodded version of PotC, all the loot you get in dungeons are from the chests that are scattered around, but not from the kills.
This is different in the Build Mod as we added looting from characters into the game.

The camera change when approaching doors is one of the many things that have been disabled with the Build Mod.

The modpack also adds sidestep, but because the game did not originally support it, the sidestep consists of sideways floating that does not have collision detection.
So it is up to you to make normal use of it or start going through walls. Best we could do... :shrug

For PotC, there are two modpacks you can try:
Build 13 Final is the latest fully completed release
Build 14 Beta 2.2 adds an insane amount of further content and improvements, but is a bit rough around the edges here and there

For CoAS, there are also two modpacks you can try:
Combined Mod v3.1.5 contains most of the bugfixes, as well as a bit of additional content and is fairly stable from what I understand
Gentlemen Of Fortune V1.1 contains more changes, but can be quite buggy at times

Ahh ok, I was just surprised to kill that many enemies and still only get one emerald so I searched and
found out there was a sword hidden there..

I did try the Combined mod pack for COAS first but then read that its obsolete and that GOF is that plus more so will play with GOF next time (after I complete POTC)..
I really can't wait to try build 14 v2.2 but I read that the vanilla story line is not playable after movie 1 with it or something? So I guess I will play it unmodded first until im bored of the story or complete it..

Well I know a lot of talented people who make mods for various games like Fallout New Vegas, Skyrim, Oblivion Etc so maybe I can talk to one of them about this sidestep collision issue.. I guess its a long shot since the Storm engine is completely different and not very popular but you never know..it sounds like there has to be some way to fix it though!

Many thanks for your information :)

Cheers!

Where did you read that the main storyline is not playable after Cozumel? It was playable but buggy for a long time but has been fully functional for me for well over a year. In fact I completed the main storyline again last week or so and am playing it in free play mode now.

I did try the Combined mod pack for COAS first but then read that its obsolete and that GOF is that plus more so will play with GOF next time (after I complete POTC)..
Technically, indeed it is obsolete because all the content is in GoF. However, GoF has been found to be quite a bit less stable.

I really can't wait to try build 14 v2.2 but I read that the vanilla story line is not playable after movie 1 with it or something? So I guess I will play it unmodded first until im bored of the story or complete it..
I think you're confusing storylines. In the unmodded game, you cannot continue play after the vanilla storyline is completed and the game just plain ends. In our modpack, you CAN continue play afterwards.
The comment you saw was about the newly-added Jack Sparrow storyline, which only contains the story leading up to and including the first PotC film.
It does not contain the events from PotC 2>4 because those have not been coded in.

Well I know a lot of talented people who make mods for various games like Fallout New Vegas, Skyrim, Oblivion Etc so maybe I can talk to one of them about this sidestep collision issue.. I guess its a long shot since the Storm engine is completely different and not very popular but you never know..it sounds like there has to be some way to fix it though!
One can always hope, but let me tell you that getting to collision detection to work HAS been tried. Repeatedly. By some very gifted coders. It just refused to work, unfortunately.
We have just learned to live with it by now. :shrug

Ah ok thanks guys.. for the clarification :) I am now playing the New Horizons and so far enjoying it but its hard to get used to! I think it was definitely the right decision to play vanilla first.. otherwise it would just be too much to learn all at once!

Haha! We did indeed do a LOT of work on that modpack. :cheeky

If you've got any specific questions, feel free to ask here. :doff

Yup you did.. Its worthy of being a game of its own in all honesty! Wonder how much Bethesda would sell the rights for?:p

Cheers I do have a bunch of questions but I will write them all down and ask tomorrow..:)

Back