• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Ship Turn Rate malfunction?

Westley

Landlubber
Hello,
I have been experiencing a very frustrating situation with a schooner of mine. I have two square topsail schooners of nearly the same build. One has a turn rate of 53 the other has a turn rate of 60. Trouble is, the ship with the higher turn rate acts like a wash-tub when she turns even with battle sails set, whereas the one with the 53 turn rate spins on a dime. I have tested this by swapping ships with my companion captain and the difference is obvious.

Any thoughts? I would have posted this in the bug forum but it seemed a bit too mundane. Let me know if you think otherwise.

I will experiment on this feature once I get the ship stability / seakeeping project running. I believe it pertains to ships rolling over when turn is executed.

Not commenting on gameplay feature, more roll = more realistic, as evidenced by video footage of warships doing hard turns (even at relatively slow speed). And those we viewed are of modern ships with advanced hydrodynamics - the high topweight of age of sail vessels, compounded by wind from the side ("sailing in broad reach") could lead them to roll easily.

Even very large tankers and container ships, fully loaded, are at the mercy of the waves at higher sea states.

If anything I wish to program higher inertia so sailing a small ship at 15 knots and trying to fight her is.. oh dear, compound roll inertia :keith

On the cruiseships I work on, we can't give more than 5 degrees rudder,
because if we give more, the ship gets too big a list in a turn.
Also with the big above-water surface, cruiseships very easily get a list when subject to wind,
which we have to counter by pumping around heeling water.

Wow that sure is a new insight!

I could not imagine the challenges, then of docking such a large vessel - it would be akin to precision work, with a very long "landing run" to ensure correct alignment, and of course you have lateral thrusters to assist close-in.

Bow thrusters and stern thrusters/Azipods for the win, mate. ;)

I had a memory from a looong time ago, POTC stock game.

I used Xebecs and high sailing (character) skill to achieve tremendous speeds, like 20 knots or so. I found it was impossible to make it capsize as the ship model simply resets to an even keel and zero speed when list angle had reached a certain point.

Now... if I could up the inertia dramatically (don't need 20 knots to heel over and sink the Mary Rose!) and disable that safety code...

Resets the list? WHAT???
I do believe there's no actual capsize code in there anywhere.
Would have to be looked into. :shrug

Back