• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

SHIP NAMES

I favor.
"having a liking or preference for; particularly fond of"
Thus, antonym impartial (fair to all); an impartial judge.

English: The language of idiot...err, idioms. :shock:

Always called my Xebec Barborossa Swift... pretty obvious why when you think about it...

I would use Storm but its a general rule of thumb for me to use that as the name of my flagship AC in Armored Core...

Thunderchild is a pretty good name, granted its used by the English Navy but hey, you can be an English officer right? :shock:

Thanks for the explenation NK!

<!--`QuoteBegin-Diomed`+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Diomed)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Yes bloody frustrating language, lucky that it was my first one.[/quote]

Well, it's my second language (Dutch being my primary language), but I love it. If it was up to me, all the world would speak English :shock:.

Nah, I think it would be alot easier to communicate with the locals when you're on vacation! Or do you mean from the religious perspective? Well... uhm... Nah, I'm not starting a religious discussion here :shock:.

If all the world spoke English, there would be no need for Foriegn Language Classes in School. So they could put more time in Science and Math. The children would get a better education, and the masses would get smarter. Then before you know it the world would be a better place.

I've always used Crimson Tide for my ship's name, but I'm pretty sure it comes from something else (game or movie). I don't think I could think of anything that good on my own.

I find my ships tend to be named after one Okeanid or another. Something about a sea nymph that just makes sense. I've also always been partial to Hermione, but you can't call a ship Hermione without bringing to mind images of Mutiny. Otherwise some good ones are Kalypso, Kirke, Persephonae, Atalanta (good for a sloop), Ariadne, Phaedra, and if I'm in any thing bigger than a frigate: Promoxos, Hippolyta, Pericles, or Alcibiades.

Oh yeah, Blubberfish, if I'm in a Tartana.

<!--`QuoteBegin-KevO44`+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KevO44)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->If all the world spoke English, there would be no need for Foriegn Language Classes in School. So they could put more time in Science and Math. The children would get a better education, and the masses would get smarter. Then before you know it the world would be a better place.[/quote]

I'll drink to that! :cheers:

Just a few of my boat names I have used

"Sea BASStard"
"Sawdust & Glue"
"The Moment" - In order to understand the last ship name you need to be standing on the Bow of a Cruiser, Pole in hand with a King on the end while trolling into the sunset, surrounded by 15' swells then you will understand............. :cheers:

So far I've only had a few ships that I've given a name to. This first(and lets face it, the first is the one you remember) was called:

The Guppy. A fine small name for a fine small ship. The speed of this ship saved me from many a jam until(snif) it was destroyed. I hated to see it go down.

Then:

The Tessen. The finest ship of all. One that I still have. A beautiful Pinnace. Carries a huge cargo, and can still hold its own in battle.

Next:

The Alecto. One of those ships named after Greek Mythology. I've since actually sold it, but it fufilled the name that I gave it. I replaced it with the Mephisto.

<!--`QuoteBegin-KevO44`+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KevO44)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->If all the world spoke English, there would be no need for Foriegn Language Classes in School. So they could put more time in Science and Math. The children would get a better education, and the masses would get smarter. Then before you know it the world would be a better place.[/quote]

oh dear...

1) why english? cantonese is the language spoken by the highest number of native speakers on the earth. english is the `most-learned` language (as `non-maternal` language), but that's only cos it's spoken in the usa, and it is well on its way to not being the majority language there any more (así que quizás deberíamos todos empezar a hablarnos en castellano, que después de unos treinta o cuarenta años el inglés será la lengua del pasado...). and most `non-anglophones` would laugh at you if you suggested they convert to english as maternal language. cos let's face it, why should they. why don't you learn their language.

2) you learn all the maths you need in later life by the time you're 14 years old. after that, you only use the maths you learn if you become a teacher, scientist or academic. why devote more time to that at the expense of languages?

3) languages are one of the things that make people generally more intelligent - not just better at languages, but better at learning in general. same goes for music (and maths, incidentally 8) ). why stop people learning languages when it makes them more intelligent?

4) learning a language, like learning about geography and history, comprehends learning about a culture different to one's own, which opens peoples' minds, helps people understand each other and helps the people of the earth get along with each other. despite its huge internal divisions, the usa is the most `inward-looking` country in the developed world and it hardly needs any more cutting off from the rest of the world. need we remind you that us external politics are what caused the less than stable situation in the near east. (plus, a person with an open mind wouldn't have suggested that everyone speak english for their convenience.)

oh about ship names... (quickly getting back on topic!)

my flagship is called the cang long (which i got from the mandarin title of 'crouching tiger hidden dragon,' 'wo hu cang long,' so i'm assuming it means 'hidden dragon' but i haven't had a mandarin confirm that 8) )

my other ships are 'atlas' and 'titan' but i'm getting bored of those...

why english? cantonese is the language spoken by the highest number of native speakers on the earth
dude thats only cause china has over a billion people.... french and english are the most widely spread languages... at least i think...

anyways the name i use on my ship is usally Tinkerbell... long story... otherwise I like the names:

Defiant
Son of Medusa
Marauder
Rampager
Reviler
Reaper
Howling Griffon
Iron Hand
Crimson Talon
Raptor
Aurora
Dark Crusader
Tigurius
Repent
Red Chaplain
Dark Messenger
Son of Posiden
Horus
Heteroi
and im sure there are more i just cant remeber none....

<!--`QuoteBegin-Octavion`+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Octavion)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I've always used Crimson Tide for my ship's name, but I'm pretty sure it comes from something else (game or movie).  I don't think I could think of anything that good on my own.[/quote]

Its a film called that, with denzel washington and gene hackman, about a US submarine, which communication system prevents it from getting clear orders, and almost starts the 3 world war..

back to subject.. I call my `Sea-Master` 9000 8).. Inspired by the names used in the games Monkey Island... :cheeky

EDIT: btw about the language, I'm pretty sure that spanish is the most widely spread, when you count the number of countries speakin it, or a dialekt of it..

Back