• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Sea Shanties and other ideas.

POOTIS

Powder Monkey
Hello,

I was wondering whether or not it would be possible to implement sea shanties like in Assassins Creed 4 Black Flag, for example adding a new tab on the ship which would make the sailors ''sing'' sea shanties whilst sailing (not on the large caribbean map). I often find myself opening my browser and playing something from yt whilst listening, while that is an option, in my personal opinion it would be more convenient to be able to do that in-game (if possible, of course), as it would also give players a reason to not just fast sail to a dock or other ships, as well as making sailing a bit more interesting.

Another thing I was wondering was in regards to making one of your officers into a captain with their own ship. I recently finished reading ''Captain Blood'' by Raphael Sabatini and finished Surgeon Peter Blood's quest in free play, after which I wanted to give him his own vessel. I made him a captain of one of the ships I had pirated, talked to him in his captain quarters on his ship to let him go from my services, however, I only broke the AI that way, since he was no longer my companion, but his ship still belonged to me and after I sold that ship he would not go away from ''passengers'' and when I tried talking to him he was using the dialogue which NPC officers use after you no longer require their services.
Hence my idea to be able to make your officers into captains with their own vessels.

My last idea would be to be able to govern your own colony and gain some sort of authority upon marrying a governer's niece. I recently got married to the niece of the governor of Tortuga, thinking that I would gain something from it, however, that wasn't the case. Furthermore, I took over a colony and replaced the governor with a pirate one and nothing more really happened. Even the pirates at the military area acted no different than regular soldiers, is there anything that could be done about this?

Sorry for the wall of text, these were just some things that have been on my mind from several days.

Sailors singing while sailing: I don't think there's a mechanism for sailors to make their own noises, but you could easily replace one or more of the music soundtracks which play while you're sailing, provided you have your shanties in .ogg format. First copy them into "RESOURCE\Sounds\MUSIC". Then edit "PROGRAM\sound\ALIAS\music_standard.c". Find this section:
Code:
    //============= SEA =================================
   tmpref.music_day_sailing.f1.name = "MUSIC\Spokplavanie.ogg";
   tmpref.music_day_sailing.f2.name = "MUSIC\Sailing01.ogg";
   tmpref.music_day_sailing.f3.name = "MUSIC\Sailing02.ogg";
   tmpref.music_day_sailing.f4.name = "MUSIC\Sailing03.ogg";                   // PB: Cutthroat Island

tmpref.music_night_sailing.f1.name = "MUSIC\Sailing_Night.ogg";                   // MAXIMUS: AoP
   tmpref.music_night_sailing.f2.name = "MUSIC\Sailing_Night2.ogg";               // PB: Sea Dogs
   tmpref.music_night_sailing.f3.name = "MUSIC\Sailing_Night3.ogg";               // PB: Sea Dogs

tmpref.music_fog_sailing.f1.name = "MUSIC\Sailing_Fog.ogg";                       // PB: Sea Dogs
   tmpref.music_fog_sailing.f2.name = "MUSIC\Sailing_Sunrise.ogg";                   // PB: Sea Dogs
   tmpref.music_fog_sailing.f3.name = "MUSIC\Sailing_Storm.ogg";                   // PB: Sea Dogs
Replace the filenames in the "tmpref.music_day_sailing" lines with your song files for anything which you want to play by day. If the sailors are supposed to be singing your shanties during the night, change the filenames in the "tmpref.music_night_sailing" lines. Or you could add extra lines so that sometimes you get the regular music and sometimes you get your shanties, e.g. "tmpref.music_day_sailing.f5.name = "MUSIC\seashanty.ogg;".

Making an officer into a separate captain: outside some storylines, there is no mechanism for detaching an officer. What is this officer in a separate ship supposed to do? If you're hoping to send him off to a port, the hard part would probably be creating an interface to choose his destination port.

You can govern your own colony, though not by marrying anyone. You capture the colony and tell the governor that you'll be running it from now on. You need at least one, usually two spare officers because you'll assign one of them as governor, and if the colony has a fort then you'll assign the other as fort commander. You can visit your governor in the residence but you'll never see the fort commander again. But there's not all that much to do with your colony. You can rename the colony and set the tax rate, and that's about it.

Capturing a fort and handing it to another nation, including pirates, has even less effect, as you found. (What should guards in a pirate fort do differently from guards in any other fort?)

I wouldn't expect a sea captain to gain any authority from marrying a governor's relative, other than social connections. The governor's niece would have hardly any authority of her own, so you won't gain any second-hand authority from marrying her! (The old Sid Meier "Pirates" game had your wife tell you where the Spanish treasure fleet and silver train were. Implementing that would require someone to first figure out how to keep track of the treasure fleet and silver train, then set up encounters if you were in the right place at the right time. And in any case, they didn't exist in the later periods, so you would not get that benefit from marrying the daughter of the governor of Kingston in the "Napoleonic" period, for example.)

Last edited:
Back