• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

screenshots thread

I'm guessing you are talking about the Arcadia Xebec, which has a very high stern.

Thanks!

Well since no one else is sharing these are the last you will get from me for a long time. I'm taking a break. I'm burnt out.... BYE

View attachment 14522 View attachment 14523 View attachment 14524 View attachment 14525 View attachment 14526 View attachment 14527 View attachment 14528 View attachment 14529 View attachment 14530
The Age of Pirates community seems to be very small, so I don't find this a fitting reaction. However, seeing all the work you've done I understand you're taking a break.

Hope to see you soon. :)

Played a little ERAS yesterday. Her I am chasing off the 2nd pirate of the day.
start 2014-01-27 15-47-22-52.jpg

Talk about an uneven battle! I almost felt bad about letting the pirates chase me into port where the fleet was lurking.
start 2014-01-28 13-48-48-34.jpg start 2014-01-28 13-51-40-99.jpg

Two battles I got into in one voyage.
First came the RAA frigate. That was a tuff battle and I didn't have much crew left after it.:duel:
start 2014-01-29 21-03-06-16.jpg start 2014-01-29 21-03-24-14.jpg start 2014-01-29 21-04-15-99.jpg

Then I got intercepted again, but this time it was a small ship and the battle was not too bad.:pirate41:
start 2014-01-29 21-09-03-05.jpg start 2014-01-29 21-30-06-07.jpg

This is too much excitement for an old merchantman. :aar

All,

Here is something many of you might never have seen.
I took this photo last night before I sailed out of Santa Catalina after capturing the city for the the French Government and completing the French Quest Line.

So how big is the Royale Crown Man-O-War "Soleil Royale" compared to the size of a real person?

I will let the photo speak for itself.
(This reminds me of my time in Great Britain and visiting the HMS Victory)

Too bad you cannot keep the ship as it sails back to the "Old Country". :shrug

Cheers to the captain!

Royale Crown Man-O-War - Soleil Royale BIG VIEW.jpg

Last edited:
This is not the "Soleil Royale". The ship is available in game but is not this, that's the default man-of-war.

This is not the "Soleil Royale". The ship is available in game but is not this, that's the default man-of-war.

If you are talking about the ADDED higher resolution GM model from GOF 1.1 and this being a default Man-O-War "reskin" (with MORE GUNS based on the ship ini. file and more alpha transparency in the cabin section), I completely get your point.

However, for the purposes of the quest line this is the "Soleil Royale" and you won't see this model in anywhere else in the game unless you spawn it in the shipyard.
I know you realize this, but I have to point it out anyway for others.

This same cannot be said for the other "Soleil Royale" imported model which in GOF Eras is renamed the ""Le Vaisseau Amiral du Roi".

Most people never play the game to the end or this quest line unless you are "hardcore", nor see this ship regardless even if its a "reskin".

That is why I thought it was interesting, because there are not too many ports where you can really see the scale of the ships unless you use the debug options and starting launching yourself around the world in the sky.

"Ne vous disputez jamais avec un homme français, car il continuer à combattre." :duel:

Last edited:
Close quarters combat! :duel: The cannons are so inaccurate and slow loading that just crawling in and boarding is the only way to end a battle, unless the opponent just gives up.
The ship on the left was boarded, captured, and sunk as it had been so battered by that bad boy on the right that there really wasn't much left.
start 2014-02-04 10-26-03-19.jpg

Thats a great screenshot. Just got the D3dGear cmaera MK recommended so Im gonna to start taking some shotss too... I'm at level 34 with all the items that max out gunnery. My gunner is level 23 and he has all the items too.... My gunnery is deadly accurate now. In fact they surrender too often after a couple volleys now.... I guess thats why MK recommends Surrender Occasssionally in the options because they would probably surrrender all the time....

I just use Fraps.
I am at level 11 and my gunner is level 9 and my ship is armed with 24 pounders so they are only accurate at point blank range. But the worst are the crew with shore loafer skills. Firing them and hiring a new crew from a tavern gives me a much better crew.

Surrender occasionally? Methinks it is only surrender or no surrender. Anyway, it is pretty rare for anyone to surrender, but accepting money and letting them sail away happens fairly often.

I just use Fraps.
I am at level 11 and my gunner is level 9 and my ship is armed with 24 pounders so they are only accurate at point blank range. But the worst are the crew with shore loafer skills. Firing them and hiring a new crew from a tavern gives me a much better crew.

Surrender occasionally? Methinks it is only surrender or no surrender. Anyway, it is pretty rare for anyone to surrender, but accepting money and letting them sail away happens fairly often.

No your wrong....you need to look in mod options. You have 3 choices.... its the option all the way to the bottom. 1)surrender on, 2)surrenders occassionally, and 3) no surrender.

MK says it in the first post And in the ReadMe that you should check "Surrenders Occassionally". and I agree that is the best option...

"Surrender occasionally" does work best in this mod, which does seems to equate to rough historical accuracy.
However, when you start to acquire serious leadership skills (which was modified to be gain even more slowly in GOF Eras than the stock game) or augment with leader bonus items surrendering happens much more frequently as per game code.
At that point, I just turn the surrender option completely off because there is no way a 400+ crew would ever surrender to a 500+ ship unless the ship was about to explode.

I really do like the way that MK implemented this feature.

I looked again and there are 4 options there. I don't know why when I first looked there I only found on and off. :pirate07:

Enough with the chatter! I acquired a large fluet and then noticed that it still seems to have the original sails and rigging on it. Rather than completely rerig it I imported the POTC version. I don't know how historically accurate it is but it looks way better than the old version.
start 2014-02-08 07-54-46-28.jpg

The fleut is not quite finished and is now on hold. I discovered another ship that needs work. The Apostol Felipe or Felipe1. I just acquired it and found that it is the V1 version with the high camera bug. So I ported over the V2 version that has the good camera angle plus a lot of other improvements. Several people took part in V2 and she is now my flagship in ERAS. The files will be posted later.

start 2014-02-08 18-32-03-76.jpg start 2014-02-08 18-35-33-56.jpg

Back