• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Save problems again

The patch 6 game I'm playing now was installed over a patch 5 install using P6 Lite. I deleted all previous profiles before starting to play tho because they were incompatible.

Pieter do you still have a copy of patch 5 so that you can compare with a full and lite install of patch 6 to see if any changes are missing? :?

Just to confirm i've just had this also. Build mod 14 beta full + patch 6(clean reinstall).

1st save was ok, but after that not possible('Save' Icon dark/none selectable) and some message like, "you need a profile to save". It just names my current profile as 'New Horizons; Profile: ' so no player/player1 etc even though it has that on the 1st save.
Clicking 'Profile > Load' does nothing other than make a click sound - it doesn't bring up a menu or a place to type anything etc, so all you can do on the screen is 'Cancel'.

Quit game, restart another game with a different profile(Player1) to not delete that old save, and then i can load the old save back in as 'New Horizons; Profile: Player' and from then on i can reload and also the saves will then work.

I wondering if somehow you can delete the profile name in the 'save' menu, by accident(not paying close enough attention/wrong key press etc) and then you get that issue? maybe something like that? It is recoverable, BUT if you've spent a while between saves it is a pain and maybe we can make it more fool proof/user error safe somehow?(if it is user error rather than a pure bug).

I've only seen this the once, after about 15 different games and lots of saving/loading, so it's not common if just a bug.

Just to confirm i've just had this also. Build mod 14 beta full + patch 6(clean reinstall).

1st save was ok, but after that not possible('Save' Icon dark/none selectable) and some message like, "you need a profile to save". It just names my current profile as 'New Horizons; Profile: ' so no player/player1 etc even though it has that on the 1st save.
Clicking 'Profile > Load' does nothing other than make a click sound - it doesn't bring up a menu or a place to type anything etc, so all you can do on the screen is 'Cancel'.

Quit game, restart another game with a different profile(Player1) to not delete that old save, and then i can load the old save back in as 'New Horizons; Profile: Player' and from then on i can reload and also the saves will then work.

I wondering if somehow you can delete the profile name in the 'save' menu, by accident(not paying close enough attention/wrong key press etc) and then you get that issue? maybe something like that? It is recoverable, BUT if you've spent a while between saves it is a pain and maybe we can make it more fool proof/user error safe somehow?(if it is user error rather than a pure bug).

I've only seen this the once, after about 15 different games and lots of saving/loading, so it's not common if just a bug.

I have this problem again after several weeks of no problem just as Bart descrebes and I have no idea what to do about it.

"Quit game, restart another game with a different profile(Player1) to not delete that old save, and then i can load the old save back in as 'New Horizons; Profile: Player' and from then on i can reload and also the saves will then work."

Try that jason? As in:

1.Start a new game making sure to give it a different profile name to the one that got messed up
2.Save and quit out of that new profile game
3.Load the old, previously 'broken' save back in and you should now be able to carry on and save again in that profile.

I 'think' it is an issue when in the save screen you accidently 'delete' the profile name somehow(the 'Delete' button in that screen just deletes the current save position doesn't it?). But as it just happened to methe once i can't be sure. That fix will solve the problem and allow you to carry on with the game that had the 'can't save profile' thing.

"Quit game, restart another game with a different profile(Player1) to not delete that old save, and then i can load the old save back in as 'New Horizons; Profile: Player' and from then on i can reload and also the saves will then work."

Try that jason? As in:

1.Start a new game making sure to give it a different profile name to the one that got messed up
2.Save and quit out of that new profile game
3.Load the old, previously 'broken' save back in and you should now be able to carry on and save again in that profile.

I 'think' it is an issue when in the save screen you accidently 'delete' the profile name somehow(the 'Delete' button in that screen just deletes the current save position doesn't it?). But as it just happened to methe once i can't be sure. That fix will solve the problem and allow you to carry on with the game that had the 'can't save profile' thing.

I did try that Bart, but it didn't work for me. I got the same can't save without a profile message as before.

opps doesn't sound good then! :shock

As an aside i'm getting very used to the process(of playing the beta build mod 14) of restarting from scratch many times. After patch 7, and various file tweaks i'm about to start what is about my 20th game since coming back into the fold. All that effort getting the right bunch of officers from game start each time, all down the drain. BUT atleast i know i'm helping improve the mod, it's so close to being an awesome mod effort. As it is this is currently the best pirate themed game around(i've played them all!), even with the bugs.

As an aside i'm getting very used to the process(of playing the beta build mod 14) of restarting from scratch many times. After patch 7, and various file tweaks i'm about to start what is about my 20th game since coming back into the fold. All that effort getting the right bunch of officers from game start each time, all down the drain.

There is a section in the console that can be used to give the player a group of high skilled officers - if you need them for testing things ;)

It is at the end of the file:

Code:
/*	if (hasSubStr(pchar.location, "_port")) {
GiveShip2Character(pchar,"FrigateNKSup","Sirius Star",-1,ENGLAND,true,true);

ChangeCharacterReputation(pchar, 60);

GiveItem2Character(PChar, "compass3");
EquipCharacterByItem(pchar, "compass3");
GiveItem2Character(pchar, "spyglass4");
EquipCharacterByItem(pchar, "spyglass4");
GiveItem2Character(pchar, "blade13+1");
EquipCharacterByItem(pchar, "blade13+1");
GiveItem2Character(Pchar, "pistol5+2");
EquipCharacterByItem(pchar, "pistol5+2");
GiveItem2Character(pchar, "commonarmor");
EquipCharacterByItem(pchar, "commonarmor");
PChar.rank = 40;
pchar.experience = CalculateExperienceFromRank(sti(PChar.rank));
ChangeHPBonus(pchar, sti(pchar.chr_ai.hp_max));
ResetHP(pchar);
LAi_SetImmortal(pchar, true);

ch = CreateOfficer_Cheat(OFFIC_TYPE_NAVIGATOR, "Dan_TG3", 0, PERSONAL_NATION, false);
SetOfficersIndex(pchar, -1, GetCharacterIndex(ch.id));
ch = CreateOfficer_Cheat(OFFIC_TYPE_QMASTER, "33_TG5D", 0, PERSONAL_NATION, false);
ch = CreateOfficer_Cheat(OFFIC_TYPE_CANNONEER, "50_India", 0, PERSONAL_NATION, false);
ch = CreateOfficer_Cheat(OFFIC_TYPE_CAPNAVY, "50_33_40Claire", 3, PERSONAL_NATION, false);
ch = CreateOfficer_Cheat(OFFIC_TYPE_CAPNAVY, "50LCroft", 3, PERSONAL_NATION, false);
ch = CreateOfficer_Cheat(OFFIC_TYPE_CAPNAVY, "Searcher_Navy", 3, PERSONAL_NATION, false);

int idx = GetMainCharacterIndex();
aref arPerksRoot; makearef(arPerksRoot,ChrPerksList.list);
int chrPerksQ = GetAttributesNum(arPerksRoot);
for (i = 0; i <= GetPassengersQuantity(PChar); i++) {
if (i > 0) {
idx = GetPassenger(PChar, i - 1);
if (idx < 0) continue;

GiveItem2Character(GetCharacter(idx), "blade13+1");
EquipCharacterByItem(GetCharacter(idx), "blade13+1");
GiveItem2Character(GetCharacter(idx), "pistol5+2");
EquipCharacterByItem(GetCharacter(idx), "pistol5+2");
GiveItem2Character(GetCharacter(idx), "commonarmor");
EquipCharacterByItem(GetCharacter(idx), "commonarmor");
TakeNItems(GetCharacter(idx), "gunpowder", 6);
TakeNItems(GetCharacter(idx), "pistolbullets", 6);
}

for (int s = 0; s < 10; s++) {
string skillname = GetSkillName(s);
characters[idx].Skill.(skillname) = 10;
}

for (int p = 0; p < chrPerksQ; p++)
{
string perkName = GetAttributeName(GetAttributeN(arPerksRoot, p));
characters[idx].perks.list.(perkName) = true;
}
}
SetCharacterGoods(&pchar, GOOD_BALLS, 5000);
SetCharacterGoods(&pchar, GOOD_GUNPOWDER, 10000);
AddMoneyToCharacter(PChar, 2000000);
}*/
LogIt("Executed Console");

I did try that Bart, but it didn't work for me. I got the same can't save without a profile message as before.

aha! i did just work out a work around. I have an old profile 'Player'(so the first default profile) group of saves that i've been keeping(not sure why as they can't possibly work in the future!). So all my new games have been as 'Profile1','Profile2' etc. And i just had this same bug again on a new 'Profile 1' save.

I was able to carry on by loading back in my old 'Profile' group of saves, then suddenly this new save(different group of officers etc) was able to be saved along with the the other 'Profile' saves. It means i could delete the old saves and carry on with this game.

Now why a 'Profile1' game forgets it profile and will allow saving under a previously used default 'Profile' i just dont know?

@ cheers for the tip Talisman.

I figured out that in my case this appears to be related to having more than one profile. When I deleted them all, and started over everyting seemd to be fine.

yes i agree if you are playing a game with multiple profiles this seems to be where the bug comes from, it is possible to work around(by loading the default 'Profile', the first one and saving on that one) but i will do some experiments with only using other profile names, say a game as 'Profile1' then run one as 'Profile 2', keeping the 'profile1' saves and see if it brings up this bug again. I had heard this feature had been buggy before, so maybe it has crept back in somehow if it was fixed?

Back