• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Russian vs. western gamers

I did'nt exactly call ouselves "thiefes" :D

But yes, that one is very unfortunate. What are you working on right now by the way, Thomas? :)

With all our business with Russian members, I thought I'd bring this thread back up from the depths.

There is, of course, also the whole war going on in that area of the world, which obviously isn't helping anyone anything.
I already know several old community members who got caught up in that in one way or another... :unsure

Dunno why I didn't notice this earlier. Yes, there was one TEHO dev who posted here from the Crimea. With the invasion he went quiet for a while and then showed up in SouthEastern Ukraine. I got the impression that he had been a homeless refugee for a while. Then he quit posting here.

I first played SD:CT around time when it came out, but it was so buggy, even with the mods, that I moved on to other games like Port Royale or Anno series. The West has plenty of modding communities, just not so much for Russian based games since we don't speak Russian.

If you look at Sea Dogs series, in 2016 Sea Dogs: To Each His Own, was using an engine that looked like 2009 Sea Dogs: City of Abandoned Cities. I don't know what kind of rig the average Russian has but even their latest upcoming game, Corsairs Legacy can be run on low-end rig for Western standards. You can run it using GeForce GTX 660 which is from 2013. There seems to be a huge gap in gpu specs, which I personally don't mind but in the West I know most ppl have GTX 1060 or up and play high-end games.

Here's a YT video where Corsair Legacy is mentioned. I bought TEHO this year, but I still enjoy SD:CT more since it has colony management, even though it's still buggy... hopefully they restore colony management in Corsair Legacy. Pirate RPG's are a dime a dozen, and there's many to choose from.

Maybe a lack of choice in Russia leads to them modding the crap out of their Russian games? I know in the West, we mod the crap out of our Western games, not so much Russian ones, all due to language barrier.

I know in the West, we mod the crap out of our Western games, not so much Russian ones, all due to language barrier.
Many newer and Western games don't support modding though.
We really lucked out with the Sea Dogs series as that allows modders to do very nearly anything they dream of.

Many newer and Western games don't support modding though.
We really lucked out with the Sea Dogs series as that allows modders to do very nearly anything they dream of.
Are you sure? I don't know, the games I play all have tons of mods, however they are 'old', from last decade.

Kenshi (2013) - loads of mods
Mount & Blade: With Fire & Sword (released 2011) - mods from Ancient Asia to playing as Star Wars.
Rimworld (2013) - insane amount of mods

Back