• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Included in Build Revamped Smuggling [3.3 compatible]

Why does contraband or anything else change at all? This is an agrarian economy that moves at the pace of a person walking. It should take at least a year before anything changes at all.

What that line says is that from the time you talk to the smuggler in the tavern to the until you walk back to your ship the contraband will not change. That is some guaranty when it only takes 1-2 hours to do that. This implies that the economy changes hourly. I'm sticking with the old beta 3.3.

The contraband changes a bit. When a island decided to change the patrolling state a piece of contraband can be added or removed depending on the state. It wont happen for at least 120 days (this can be changed), and often will take way longer then that.
Normally in the time it takes you to do the smuggling mission it wont happen but just to be sure its added. Cause it could be the last time the contraband changed was like 300 days ago and you have a smuggling mission during the night. the change happens with the daily update, so there is a really small chance of it happening. thats why its added.

Cheers,

just found something more. It's not new, but dusturbing since ancient times in this game:
I just tried to sell some silk to smugglers at Antigua. I also had some medicaments in my cargo hold, just in case (I always have them, like food and rum). Unfortunately, the smugglers insisted on me selling the medicaments to them. There is no option between sell them - which I didn't want and fight the enraged smugglers after declining the offer. :duel:
I think it should be possible to sell and keep stuff. By the way, how the hell do they know what's in my cargo? :8q

will look into this. could you maybe add a topic in the bugtracker for this?

Here is a fix for the blacksmith in Sao Jorge.:)
Cheers! I thought Jack Rackham did a fix for that already though.
I included it in my game version yesterday and will add it into the next modpack release this week. :yes

What that line says is that from the time you talk to the smuggler in the tavern to the until you walk back to your ship the contraband will not change. That is some guaranty when it only takes 1-2 hours to do that. This implies that the economy changes hourly.
That is not what Levis said. What he said is just an extra check to guarantee that it doesn't change when you REALLY don't want it to, such as when you're in the middle of a smuggling run.
Otherwise even if the changes ARE real slow, they could might, with a lot of bad luck, still occur at such an inappropriate moment.
We don't want that. :no

After 4 smuggling runs only one was eventfull. I went to Martinique where the French are hostile and switched to the French flag long before getting there. At level7 with no reputation I was recognized from over 2400 yards away. I could not see those ships for some time. The wind was with me and I still made it in with only minor sail damage. Hiked into town and talked to the smuggler and went back to the beach. Evaded the shore patrol and then evaded the Coast Guard, but they never gave up, even after the land was well out of sight.

I havent changed anything in the code concerning pursuits.
Did you smuggle at small islands without forts etc in other cases? Did you have the perks? Did you smuggle at night?
What difficulty?

What do you Say, should the pay be more on larger heavier patrolled islands?

All are large islands like Jamaica, Bonaire, and Martinique.

I have a perk.

Yes and no. It takes 1-2 days to get there.

Shwashbuckler with reputation of Cutthroat.

Jamaica and Bonaire should on start have a partrol which is somewhere between 2 and 4 per shift so that means you can sneak past them but not easily. If you have one of the smuggling perks it gets easier. Also during the night (on the shore) it should be easier.
Martinique has a larger force on the island so its logical you will get interupted there easier.
Do you think its to easy? Should I change the paramters a bit so the chance of getting caught gets bigger?
If you smuggle much to these islands the chance of getting caught should rise.
If you really want a challenge try smuggling to cuba, Normally that one should be one of the hardest islands to smuggle to.

Split off this topic to keep the other topic pure for 3.3

One thought: With your new system of scheduled patrols, perhaps the chance of being caught should no longer really be random
That is to say, if you go smuggling outside on of the scheduled breaks, you have a HUGE chance of being caught.

Perhaps you already did that, though. Haven't checked your code yet, since I didn't want to mix it up with the Beta 3.3 base. :facepalm

It depens on the island. some islands have more patrols then others. but it could very well be he accedently did a smuggling run during a break so he was lucky ;).
When I go on with this again you will be able to get some info from guards in the taverns to know which time is best (for a price) and you can wait till the appropriate time. also you can find the schedule if you want.
For now I just wanna know if it feels a bit natural :) without knowing it.

Did a smuggling run to Martinique again. Came from Puerto Rico, changed flags, and the weather was foggy and raining. Sailed into Octopus Bay, went into town, came back and made the deal, evaded the Shore Patrol, and set sail.
There were 2 small ships there that thought about fighting but they were quickly persuaded to leave. Sailed on to the next port with no problems except that I was recognized on the way out but no one followed.

Evading the shore patrol is very easy on some island isn't it ... at some places they really need to walk quite a distance before reaching you.
Might be an idea to find something for this.
What do you think hylie?
I tought about making the dialog of the smugglers a bit longer so the guards have more time to actually reach you. For example the smugglers say something like "They found us" and ask you to help defend theire goods. If you dont help them they wont trade with you for a while...
does that sound good?

Just wondering how coffee can be both an export and contraband.
tester 2014-12-27 10-02-24-32.jpg

Eleuthera doesn't HAVE contraband goods?
Code:
    rIsland.Trade.Export.id1 = GOOD_TOBACCO;
     rIsland.Trade.Export.id2 = GOOD_COFFEE;
     rIsland.Trade.Export.id3 = GOOD_COPRA;
     rIsland.Trade.Export.id4 = GOOD_ALE;
     rIsland.Trade.Export.id5 = GOOD_FOOD;
     rIsland.Trade.Export.id6 = GOOD_TREATMENT;
     rIsland.Trade.Export.id7 = GOOD_RUM;
     rIsland.Trade.Import.id1 = GOOD_PLANKS;
     rIsland.Trade.Import.id2 = GOOD_SAILCLOTH;
     rIsland.Trade.Import.id3 = GOOD_WHEAT;
     rIsland.Trade.Import.id4 = GOOD_WINE;
     rIsland.Trade.Import.id5 = GOOD_GOLD;
     rIsland.Trade.Import.id6 = GOOD_SILVER;
     rIsland.Trade.Import.id7 = GOOD_SUGAR;

Are you playing with @Levis' smuggling updates included by any chance?

After playing this smuggling mod up to level 21 I can see very little effective difference between it and the old system and am moving to another install.

So that means that this new system does not work worse than the old system? Apart from that double Coffee report?
That sounds promising for future implementation, then.

that sounds good to me cause for now that was the idea, the ways to actually find out the schedule etc aren't implemented yet so it should feel like the old system :). I will fix the double coffee bug in the next update.

Okay here we go again :).

New:
- Expanded the use of books, you can now give attributes to the book which can be used in the text (like with quest text). This can also be done in the title and description. This can actually be done for all items, changes are made to the interfaces to support it.
- Added a option to Add an item in the game later on. This might be interesting for story writers. I will give more info about this later, but if you want to see how it works check the function CreatePatrolBook in smuggling.c (you will like this @Jack Rackham ;) )
- Added a book with the patrolling schedule to one of the coast guards.
- The smuggling perk is now locked at the start untill you find this book.

Still todo:
- Option to "toss" items once they are not needed anymore.
- Option to wait on the ship till the right time
- Option to get the schedule from a guard in the tavern
- Improving how the guards are spawned so its harded to get away on larger beaches

Back