• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Resolution issues

A.H

Privateer
Ahoy folks. Hope everyone's doing well.
I thought I'd try the New Horizons on the Maelstrom engine since I've tried ERAS II in the past.
Now, when I launch the game, the resolution settings are way off, so I tried fiddling around, but to no avail.

I've reset the settings for the start.ini file, and this is what it shows (note that my laptop is 1920x1080; yet, I can't seem to find the proper settings to adjust the game to that resolution:

;externalResourcePath = E:\NewHorizons\
modules path = modules\
full_screen = 0
;PostProcess = 1
PostProcess = 0
DeviceNumber = 0
EnableVSynch = 0
TripleBuffering = 0
;screen_x = 1360
;screen_x = 1280
;screen_y = 1024
screen_x = 1600
screen_y = 900
lockable_back_buffer = 0
screen_bpp = D3DFMT_X8R8G8B8
antialiasing = 1
antialiasingLevel = 0
texture_degradation = 0
;autoDegradation = 0
;Degrade1Mem = 1600.0
;Degrade2Mem = 2000.0
controls = pcs_controls
;for game utils
;controls = pc_controls
program_directory = Program\
resource_directory = RESOURCE\
ini_directory = RESOURCE\INI\
techniques_directory = modules\techniques\
;max_fps = 120
run = seadogs.c
;for game utils
;run = gameutils.c
show_fps = 0
;safe_render = 1
safe_render = 0
texture_log = 0
geometry_log = 0
NearClipPlane = 0.355
FarClipPlane = 7000.0
;was 20000.0 by Jeffrey/ 4000.0 original COAS / 7000.0 by Mirsaneli
;debugwindow = 0
debugwindow = 1
;offclass = soundservice
;offclass = sailors
;offclass = island
;offclass = animals
;offclass = seafoam
mem_profile = memory.mp
startFontIniFile = fonts.ini
font = interface_normal
numoftips = 0
firstlaunch = 0
HyperThreading = 1
;DisableSSE = 0
;EnableSSE = 1
;tracefiles = 0
;tracefilesoff = 1
tracefiles = 1
tracefilesoff = 0
save_directory = SAVE\
;screenshotformat values supported for DX9: bmp, tga, jpg, default is jpg if not specified
;screenshotformat values supported for DX8: bmp, tga, default is bmp if not specified
screenshotformat = jpg
;video_rate = 60
AutoReloadEnabled = 0
AutoReloadTime = 30

saveCrashDumps = 0

;deDupeRenderState = 0
setProcPriority = 0

[script]
;debuginfo = 0
debuginfo = 1
codefiles = 0
;runtimelog = 0
runtimelog = 1
;tracefiles = 0
tracefiles = 1

[sound]
sound path = RESOURCE\sounds\
UseMM = 0
;defaultDecodeBufferSize = 1000
;DSPBufferPoolSize = 16
numSoftwareChannels = 70
aliasDirectory =
StreamBufferSize = 126976
fileBlockAlign = 2048
dspNumBuffers = 6
;virtSoundSlots values supported: max 4093, default is 1024 if not specified
virtSoundSlots = 2048
retainSoundSlots = 256

[sound_aliases]

[stats]
memory_stats = 0
update_mem_profile = 0

[ProgressImage]
;0.0 - left screen position, 1.0 - right screen position
RelativePosX = 0.88
;0.0 - top screen position, 1.0 - bottom screen position
RelativePosY = 0.85
;0.0 - zero size, 1.0 screen width size
RelativeWidth = 0.08
;0.0 - zero size, 1.0 screen width size
RelativeHeight = 0.08
;Horisontal frames in texture 1..64
HorisontalFramesCount = 8
;Vertical frames in texture 1..64
VerticalFramesCount = 8

Thank you all.

[RenderingDevice]
Render path = modules\renderer\

[controls]
ondebugkeys = 0

Now, when I launch the game, the resolution settings are way off, so I tried fiddling around, but to no avail.
Should be these two lines:
Code:
screen_x = 1600
screen_y = 900

Reactions: A.H
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, the same problem persists.

1702884010782.png

This screen here is how I see it when I open the game. If I kept the X 1600 and Y 900 then it would be slightly smaller, but still 30-40% of the screen wouldn't be showing.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, the same problem persists.

View attachment 43631

This screen here is how I see it when I open the game. If I kept the X 1600 and Y 900 then it would be slightly smaller, but still 30-40% of the screen wouldn't be showing.
Go to windows menu, display, and reduce your "Scale and Size" to 100% instead of 200% or more.
And/or make sure that your windows "Display" resolution matches your game resolution, and that those resolutions are compatible with your monitor aspect ration and video card. This is an older game engine that doesn't play well with more modern versions of windows!
For example: my monitor is a flat screen 65" TV with 4k compatibility, my graphics card has best performance at 2k resolution, so I set the game resolution to 2560x1440 and set my desktop windows scale to 100% and my windows resolution to 2560x1440. That corrects this issue! Good luck and let us know if it works for you.

Go to windows menu, display, and reduce your "Scale and Size" to 100% instead of 200% or more.
And/or make sure that your windows "Display" resolution matches your game resolution, and that those resolutions are compatible with your monitor aspect ration and video card. This is an older game engine that doesn't play well with more modern versions of windows!
For example: my monitor is a flat screen 65" TV with 4k compatibility, my graphics card has best performance at 2k resolution, so I set the game resolution to 2560x1440 and set my desktop windows scale to 100% and my windows resolution to 2560x1440. That corrects this issue! Good luck and let us know if it works for you.

Aye it worked! 100%
However, my general laptop screen is now pretty small so I have to keep changing it every time I wish to play. I suppose it's l solution for now. :) Thanks for the help. Much obliged.

I
Aye it worked! 100%
However, my general laptop screen is now pretty small so I have to keep changing it every time I wish to play. I suppose it's l solution for now. :) Thanks for the help. Much obliged.
Happened to have the same problem when I first tried to play! And I also have to switch the desktop back to be able to see anything after playing!

I

Happened to have the same problem when I first tried to play! And I also have to switch the desktop back to be able to see anything after playing!
Yeah, the only annoying part is that you have to sign out and back in, which isn't an issue at the moment, but maybe in a year or two once this log-in option starts to take ages. :D

Yeah, the only annoying part is that you have to sign out and back in, which isn't an issue at the moment, but maybe in a year or two once this log-in option starts to take ages. :D
I wonder if there is anything @Hammie might be able to do about it in the game source code.
Or @ChezJfrey / @Mirsaneli in the case of Maelstrom.
It does sound very annoying for players with amazingly high resolution monitors. :facepalm

Maybe that's a feature those Microsoft crooks are holding back for Windows 12. Phonemakers and carmakers do that with every new feature, just so you can buy the latest a year later. But not I; took me 9 years to get a new laptop, 5 years for a new phone lol

Hi folks,

First, a big thank you to the community and mod devs for their hard working!

I just bought the Maelstrom engine and downloaded New Horizon, and Historic ERAS 2 from itch. Not that I am having Issues with the resolution, but just wondering...

My native resolution Is 2560x1080 (16:9 UW), I have New Horizon set to 1600x900 as stated above and works/looks just fine although the start file had wrong entries which I deleted. But I am wondering to what resolution should I set ERAS 2 to?

Thank you.

Hi folks,

First, a big thank you to the community and mod devs for their hard working!

I just bought the Maelstrom engine and downloaded New Horizon, and Historic ERAS 2 from itch. Not that I am having Issues with the resolution, but just wondering...

My native resolution Is 2560x1080 (16:9 UW), I have New Horizon set to 1600x900 as stated above and works/looks just fine although the start file had wrong entries which I deleted. But I am wondering to what resolution should I set ERAS 2 to?

Thank you.

I think you can use any resolution with Maelstrom. Try playing with native resolution.

Hi Mirsaneli, thank you for your reply.

Yes I did try that first but the text seemed a bit small for my old eyes.

That's why I added HUD scaling in Options. Use the slider to make icons larger, but keep the resolution.

Back