• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

[REQ] Hourly random wind speed in CM v3.2?

VistarNH

Landlubber
I've been playing a little of the CM and I really like most of it, you guys are fantastic; but the wind model you guys implemented is not realistic at all. If you look at wind maps for the Caribbean, most of the time the average wind speed is between 10 and 15 knots and out of the east. In my game (I have RTBL on) the wind changes drastically every hour. This is just odd to me. Yes, historically wind played a huge role in sea battles and commerce but it was more often predictable in this part of the world than not during fair weather.

http://www.windfinder.com/windstats/windstatistic_map_caribbean.htm

I understand if some people like it but I read some posts that there may be a setting to disable the random wind speeds. If this has already be implemented please let me know where I can find it. thanks!

It was like that in vanilla aswell, only in CMV the lower limit is 0.0 while in vanilla it was 5.0 (if I'm not mistaken).

I'm not part of the modding team so I have no idea what they have planned for next release, but I remember a debate a while ago here on forum on how to disable those random wind changes and to my knowledge, noone managed to do that so far.

Thanks I couldn't remember what vanilla was like, I didn't play much when I first got the game cus my previous system didn't like it. I did figure out how to change the min/max wind speeds in my game. I was getting less than one knot at least 60% the time I loaded sea mode and switching modes constantly (when I could) just to get a decent wind was ruining the game for me. "Realism" in games can be nice but is often subjective and overrated imho.

there has to be a way to code it so that when the wind does change, it only changes by a certain amount of degrees and speed.

I wouldn't even know where to begin....

Back