• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Repairing the Boussolle

Veeery interesting. I did not know the Boussole had problems. There are other ships in game that are much worse. Would you be interested in looking at other ships, like the Carrack and the fast galleons?

Indeed I did think La Boussole looked pretty good, but better is always better. Nice job, mate!

As for ships_init.c changes, they do need a new game to be started UNLESS somebody manage to code a Reinit function into CoAS yet like in the PotC Build Mod.

Veeery interesting. I did not know the Boussole had problems. There are other ships in game that are much worse. Would you be interested in looking at other ships, like the Carrack and the fast galleons?

Yeah that's the plan. I started the boussole because that's the one I was using in game and since it didn't have that many errors (mostly the stern, flipped normals on the deck, etc) thought I do a quick fix and put it back in... turned out to be a much larger project.

I could get things done so much faster if we had a good 3D Studio Max 8 importer/exporter :(

I really wish we had one. The VRML process is buggy and I think it's causing the meshes I import to end up double sided :(

Alright, I've tried everything I know to fix the strange lighting. Seems it's a known bug?

Was reading that you guys know how to fix it?

I'd really appreciate it if you guys can describe the process. I tried flipping normals, I tried reversing them, etc and the bug is still there. Is there a tool or something?

Hi, i export whit tool, then i use for converting and doing some small fixes deep exploration, is a good program and convert in a lot of formats...

Alright, I've tried everything I know to fix the strange lighting. Seems it's a known bug?

Was reading that you guys know how to fix it?

I'd really appreciate it if you guys can describe the process. I tried flipping normals, I tried reversing them, etc and the bug is still there. Is there a tool or something?
I know that pgargon has successfully fixed many of his ships which had this bug, and now produces them without it.
You may want to ask him what he does... and perhaps post a tutorial in this forum, for future reference? :shrug

Have any of u guys even checked this topic http://forum.piratesahoy.net/topic/14886-storm-engine-moddeling-basics/ ???? ,it isn't sticked for nothing u know

u got every thing u need to get rid of the reverse lightning bug wrote down straight foreward, check point 3 of conversion process

Sorry for being thad bit rude in ur first topic helldiver,but seeing this question beeing asked every time while havin the answers under ur noses makes me go mad

It's riding too low in the water. No mater what I did to ship init.c increasing, decreasing the value of waterline it didn't do anything. I guess you have to start a new game in order to see changes?

Sorry I missed this. :eek:ops2

In PotC you need to hit F11 to re initialize the game and get the ship's ride height change to show. Except it doesn't right away. I sail off in world view and the go to direct sail. That does it. :onya

Have any of u guys even checked this topic http://forum.pirates...ddeling-basics/ ???? ,it isn't sticked for nothing u know

u got every thing u need to get rid of the reverse lightning bug wrote down straight foreward, check point 3 of conversion process

Sorry for being thad bit rude in ur first topic helldiver,but seeing this question beeing asked every time while havin the answers under ur noses makes me go mad
:modding Well I think it's the fact that it isn't at all clear exactly how to fix the bug in any topic, which causes this question to keep on appearing.
That thread doesn't explicitly mention "This will fix the Reverse Lighting Bug!", so I think it needs clarifying to make sure anyone can realise that.
Not all of us are modelling geniuses who know how to do these things without guidance, you know. :shrug

In PotC you need to hit F11 to re initialize the game and get the ship's ride height change to show. Except it doesn't right away. I sail off in world view and the go to direct sail. That does it. :onya
That's true, but it's a different story for CoAS, as Pieter mentioned... :facepalm

Have any of u guys even checked this topic http://forum.pirates...ddeling-basics/ ???? ,it isn't sticked for nothing u know

Hey ZarethPL, hows the ship coming along, will it be done before 2012. Not to be rude or anything.

:modding Well I think it's the fact that it isn't at all clear exactly how to fix the bug in any topic, which causes this question to keep on appearing.
That thread doesn't explicitly mention "This will fix the Reverse Lighting Bug!", so I think it needs clarifying to make sure anyone can realise that.
Not all of us are modelling geniuses who know how to do these things without guidance, you know. :shrug

That's true, but it's a different story for CoAS, as Pieter mentioned... :facepalm

Yeah well it describes ur mesh setup (render stat's options) so that the lightning bug aint eveng gonna be there

Hey ZarethPL, hows the ship coming along, will it be done before 2012. Not to be rude or anything.

Atm at a hold ,thou i should have some more time to finish them soon

Have any of u guys even checked this topic http://forum.piratesahoy.net/topic/14886-storm-engine-moddeling-basics/ ???? ,it isn't sticked for nothing u know

I was well aware of that stickied post.

Your solution (no offense) does not answer the issue. In other words, the ship above uses a completely different process (exporting from max using the VRML and VRML to GM using Inez's tool). Perhaps you missed that? :D

The other part was that it was answered in a different post and not this one (Ship hull tutorial) where I would have to use Maya to do the exporting to prevent that. The bug comes about because of the VRML process.

I was well aware of that stickied post.

Your solution (no offense) does not answer the issue. In other words, the ship above uses a completely different process (exporting from max using the VRML and VRML to GM using Inez's tool). Perhaps you missed that? :D

The other part was that it was answered in a different post and not this one (Ship hull tutorial) where I would have to use Maya to do the exporting to prevent that. The bug comes about because of the VRML process.

none taken ,and it does solve the problem since i only wanted to point out the mesh setup ,now u just need to find similar options in max wich im sure it has,and there aint gonna be any bugs

No friend, that's not how Max works. No such option. Although you can set a material to 2-sided, that's not by default. It's only 2-sided at render time, the mesh itself is not 2-sided unless you do it manually by cloning and fliping normals.

The error is do to how VRML97 is exported and how it creates a face in reverse (i.e. 0,1,-1 becomes 0, -1, 1). In Inez tool, the ship has flipped normals, in game it has correct normals but flipped shadows.

The only way to fix that besides building a GM exporter for Max, is to export using Maya like Peter mentioned.

I'll be exporting it from Maya to solve the problem.

I think modeling in 3DS MAX and then using Maya to export to GM properly has been done in the past. :yes

fixed and done!

Fixing the bowsprit and then will upload everything so you guys can update it.

I did this for the following reasons:

-Learn the Max to Maya export-import process.
-See if it was possible to repair ships with geometry errors.

I learned that I have to scale everything I do in Max by 10,000 in order for it to show up at the correct scale in the game, otherwise it shows up very small (this is with the 0.01cm -> m option off on export in Maya).

With what I learned here I can actually fix up some of the ships in game as well as make new ships, although someone else will have to do all the Locator placement since I don't know Maya that well.

I can do the locator placement even though I hate doing it.

By the way, can you fix this model? It needs help badly.

NewLeEnterpriseHull3.jpg

I can do the locator placement even though I hate doing it.

By the way, can you fix this model? It needs help badly.

Yes, I will be fixing that one also. That's the Interceptor correct?

Going to fix the Colonial Frigate next (since it uses the same parts from the Boussole) then I'll fix the Interceptor.

Back